Official Closure of Warrimoo (and what you can do to help)

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Email sent.

I don't see anyone suggesting that the tennis courts at the trail head, which were presumably in bush land before it got bulldozed, be removed and replanted as bush.

Seems like because mtb trails appear to co-exist much closer to nature, they are seen as more of a problem than removing swathes of bushland replacing them with asphalt.

Maybe next time an mtb track gets built, cricket nets, football pitches and tennis courts could be erected both sides of the track to keep the nature away! <-- before this gets misquoted - intended with a heavy dose of sarcasm -->

Paul

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't see anyone suggesting that the tennis courts at the trail head, which were presumably in bush land before it got bulldozed, be removed and replanted as bush.
The point has certainly been raised, noting significant erosion damage that has been caused by water running off the courts. There's a deep deep deep trench....

robbie b

Likes Bikes
reply i got from one of the council member, proving our concerns are being heard

Dear Mr Supple

Thanks for your email below. I have taken note of your strong views.

I am seeking further information on this matter from Council staff.

Don’t hesitate to be in further contact.

Best regards

David Ossip | Councillor | Ku-ring-gai Council
M: 0481 033 521
E: dossip@kmc.nsw.gov.au
W: www.kmc.nsw.gov.au
Ku-ring-gai: Sydney’s green heart

robbie b

Likes Bikes
I'm sure most people have gotten this one, but it's good to see that they are swamped with emails on the subject

Good afternoon,

This email serves to acknowledge your recent correspondence to Ku-ring-gai Councillors and / or staff in relation to the Warrimoo downhill mountain bike track.

Due to the large number of emails received, a response is being prepared that collectively addresses the key concerns raised in the correspondence received to date. This response will be distributed this week.

If you require any further information in the meantime please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards,
Marnie

Marnie Kikken | Manager Environment and Sustainability| Ku-ring-gai Council
P: 9424 0934 | M: 0423 200 074 | F: 9424 0001
E: mkikken@kmc.nsw.gov.au | www.kmc.nsw.gov.au

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Yeah, I got the copy pasta one too. Good to know they've received enough emails tom ale replying individually too much work.

will2

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I got the copy pasta one too. Good to know they've received enough emails tom ale replying individually too much work.
Or it's "righto another one of mountain bikers, so sick of these cunts: ctrl+v" which is quite likely.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
The official response has been emailed out and at this time the council are upholding the closure of Warrimoo DH track.

They have agreed to an independent environmental impact study, but the track will be closed in the meant time.

I cannot upload it as it is a PDF :(

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The lobbying effort has been more effective than Council's reply letter might initially suggest.

Things are looking promising....

stirk

Burner
And by building a fence they force those who will keep riding the trail to forge a new path around the fence and cause more (so called) damage elsewhere.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
If this is the same track that appears to be on facebook nsw mtb then what a disgraceful waste in what they have done . To bring in machinery and tear down trees tells me these people have no idea what they are doing . Sorry for your loss .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/153836381463646/
This was trail was Mount Riverview, going there this afternoon to see if any of the trails survived, I know the jump track is gone though. Glad I went there Sunday & had a epic session with my mates.

stirk

Burner
This was trail was Mount Riverview, going there this afternoon to see if any of the trails survived, I know the jump track is gone though. Glad I went there Sunday & had a epic session with my mates.
Are they going in with machines to flatten the berms and jumps or a team of people with mattocks and shovels?

Edit: Just answered my question, machines.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Sydney Council Moves to Ban Surfing from All Beaches

This is a news parody article, and should clearly not be taken seriously by anyone. It is intended as a form of protected political communication, pointing out the author's personal views of Ku-Ring-Gai Council's political decision to close a popular mountain trail, and also use of heavy machinery to destroy another trail near Mt Riverview in the Blue Mountains.

Hot off the heels of their decision to close a popular mountain bike facility, Yu-Rong-Again Council has identified another group of people who's mode for enjoying nature and the outdoors does not comply with their policies: surfers.

Director of Preventing Outdoor Recreation, Nigel McHatesfun, released the following statement:

"Our in-house experts, with assistance from our valued NIMBY advisory bureau, has recently identified a number of endangered species living in the ocean. There is a risk that these species will feel threatened by the very presence of surfers. A single cutback could destroy an entire pod of migrating narwhals; and tube-riding poses a serious risk to various under-sand ecological communities.

There is simply no way to manage the environmental impact of surfing. Therefore, it must be stopped immediately.

Council's policy will be to begin erecting fences, and engaging contractors to bring in dredging machinery to eradicate all identified sandbanks capable of producing surfable waves".

Asked whether the ban would extend to swimmers, Mr McHatesfun responded:

"Are you kidding? The bushwalkers of the sea? Of course not.

You see, when surfers come into the ocean, they bring all sorts of parasites and diseases that harm the local ecology. That's simply not the case with swimmers."

Council has agreed to look into the possibility of providing a replacement facility in alternate inland locations, although no guarantees or timeframes could be provided, and funding is unlikely to be available. In the meantime, the Surfing community is encouraged to stay indoors and remind themselves that they are not relevant in the democratic process.

Copied from Trail Care's Foxy Friends page... http://www.friendsofoxy.com/#!surfing-ban/c16t3

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
We know old mate in charge of ALC, council is pushing them to do it more than they actually care. The bloke at ALC is tops, and he loves that we're riding but it's kind of out of his hands at this point.