Official kentlyn thread

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I for one don't like using other peoples timber etc without their permission.
I always bring my own stuff, but the timber you are talking about should be either cleaned up and stacked neatly or used/removed. If the people that put it there can take responsibilty for this it would be good.
WCP just tell the xc'ers not to put any pallets between the jumps to fill the gaps. If they can't clear them, don't try to. I will be removing the pallets between the jumps on Snakes and Ladders when I get time, it makes them look shithouse.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
*snip ... If they can't clear them, don't try to. I will be removing the pallets between the jumps on Snakes and Ladders when I get time, it makes them look shithouse.
I hate when people do that ... especially when its bloody ricketty anyway and provides nothing in the way of safety.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
I for one don't like using other peoples timber etc without their permission.
I always bring my own stuff, but the timber you are talking about should be either cleaned up and stacked neatly or used/removed. If the people that put it there can take responsibilty for this it would be good.
WCP just tell the xc'ers not to put any pallets between the jumps to fill the gaps. If they can't clear them, don't try to. I will be removing the pallets between the jumps on Snakes and Ladders when I get time, it makes them look shithouse.
Can safely say none of the XC'ers I ride with would be doing that as
a) They value trail ownership :)
b) They too soft to hit them as they are...
c) Couldnt be arsed dragging wood in for one tiny little section.

I think Im one of the fewer geek bikes who hit the jumps, those booters on S&L are sweet as .. the pallets should have gone long ago :D
Prolly more like the DH new-guys or kids who are adding to the jumps... either way I agree, dont change whats not yours.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I hate when people do that ... especially when its bloody ricketty anyway and provides nothing in the way of safety.
Absolutely. If we wanted table tops, we'd build them as I have done off the step up line. For those who want to change other peoples hard work because it's too hard for you, DON'T. I don't change some of the tracks I ride because I can't do them, I just ride around those parts.
I would rather make it harder than easier too as it promotes advancement in our riding. I will also put up a sign to say there is a gap.
Have fun out there.

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CraigS:

That new jump on the centre run is fab! Its even better than it looks. Credit to you. Smooth take off and landing and makes the new starters, like myself, look forward to learning to gap jump rather than keep hitting the tabletops.

Pete and I thoroughly enjoyed our ride Sunday and cannot wait to hit it up again. Its also good to see the drops in the centre run being built back again. Unsure who is rebuilding there but I am still unsure whether i like your on ramp (hopefully temporary) to the second drop! Down ramp is great and the trail out of it would have good potential in time to come. If you would like help/assistance for those who build there, PM me in private and we might be able to work something out. I would love to contribute to something that brings me so much joy in riding.

Judd.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Who's in for this Sunday? KDH early build/cleanup then ride.
So far Myself and Newts. Any other takers? Eastside? Scotty??
Anyone else I haven't mentioned?

Petercass

Likes Dirt
sounds like a plan ... toranajudd, myself and a few others were planning on heading out then anyway! what time will you be out there ?

CraigS

Likes Dirt
7.30 is fine by me. Eastside on the other hand might disagree. Get warmed up throwing a shovel around for half an hour or so then RIDE. Means I won't have to feed the kids breakfast too:D

adtee23

Likes Bikes
Just a quick heads up that work on the first jump along the main dh track is mainly complete.
This jump is now a 6 foot double, the bulk of people who ride these trails will have no problems hitting this gap. If you are unsure then I suggest you watch someone else do it first so you know how much speed is needed. If you hit it too fast you will just land to flat as it was before the gap was there.
I still need to put some star pickets down the side to support the side rails from being pushed out. I'll finish this next weekend.
A couple of pics so you know what's coming up along the trail.

If you hit this give me some feedback as to whether you think it should be adjusted (moved out more).
looks good, well done on the build... cant wait to try it.....

Petercass

Likes Dirt
Haha thats pretty early ! What time do you think you will be there till ? We Prolly wont get out there till 11ish

CraigS

Likes Dirt
We'll be finished by then. Like to get our ride in early and spend the rest of the day with the wife and kids.

Drdave

Squid
Some young kids on some pretty shady bikes were putting the pallets into the gaps on snakes and ladders. Someone just needs to move the pallets away from that area and that should solve the problem.

Good work on the new jump - it looks really solid and is nice and smooth to ride. It could be a touch longer but its prob best to leave it as it is given the variety of skill levels on the trails...

scuba05

Likes Dirt
was up there yesterday arvo doing a few runs. The new jump CraigS built is not too bad. The distance is short, but im not really launching off the jump, more 'scratching' the jump and landing the bike on the top of the downramp to get that lil extra speed.

Although if you really try, im sure you could land in one of the trees over the back of the burm, if thats your cup of tea.

Nice work CraigS

Few new trails are popping up along the ridge that the knarly rock garden (Andrews trail i think? (with the little kickers along the bottom?)). Some are looking a bit sketchy with jumps sending you awefully close to trees. Would like to see them when they are complete.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
was up there yesterday arvo doing a few runs. The new jump CraigS built is not too bad. The distance is short, but im not really launching off the jump, more 'scratching' the jump and landing the bike on the top of the downramp to get that lil extra speed.

Although if you really try, im sure you could land in one of the trees over the back of the burm, if thats your cup of tea.

Nice work CraigS

Few new trails are popping up along the ridge that the knarly rock garden (Andrews trail i think? (with the little kickers along the bottom?)). Some are looking a bit sketchy with jumps sending you awefully close to trees. Would like to see them when they are complete.
Was that your ute parked out in the street about 5pm???
I ran up to finish off the aforementioned double with some more star pickets along the sides to hold them in place.
The new track that is off the left of Cannonball Run before you go down the rock garden is Josh's (Kemmis) new one. Looks a bit narley to me. I'd like to see someone go down the first roll in down the rock shelf before I try it:eek:

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
i rode out there the other week and done that line the guy that was riding in front of me done it ,nearly came off though.
that shelf needs more rocks so you just roll straight down instead of the drop that u almost nose case the landing haha
rode the bottom section of it with the double drop was pretty fun be good if there was a massive double after it, you get enough speed for it

scuba05

Likes Dirt
yeah. I was out in kentlyn yesterday(thur) and today(fri) doing a few runs with a mate. Started both days round 4pm so yeah it probably was me parked up there(white ute with green p's)

Il agree that it may need a few more rocks to make it a bit smoother and safer

kemmis

Likes Dirt
i rode out there the other week and done that line the guy that was riding in front of me done it ,nearly came off though.
that shelf needs more rocks so you just roll straight down instead of the drop that u almost nose case the landing haha
rode the bottom section of it with the double drop was pretty fun be good if there was a massive double after it, you get enough speed for it
please dont anyone change our track, we have it down pat and we really like it. we will be happy to show anyone the line just please dont change it. Once you see it done, or do it once you will enjoy it.
And it doesnt sound like you have found the beginning rock slate/garden at the start of the track. it runs almost parallel to the rock stepdown on cannonbal then links onto cannonball where it then cuts of fto the section you found. A tip for the first rock garden is to look at it first and pick your line, I drop off the left side (looking from the top), over a little patch of rocks and then skip across the two steps and into the jump at the bottom. Dont try and pump the jump because it kicks your back so just stay loose. I dont think that the top rock step can be rolled so have a look first (you might be able to we just didnt try). For the one you are talking about, roll in with the brakes on, go straight overe the first little rock step and about there let go of the brakes (or for the first time let go of the brakes when the centre of your bike is over the tree root) you will land smoothly and dont brake the rest of the way because you can just skip over the rest of the rocks.

hope that helps.

and as craigs said
Absolutely. For those who want to change other peoples hard work because it's too hard for you, DON'T.
I would rather make it harder than easier too as it promotes advancement in our riding.Have fun out there.

Last edited: