Official kentlyn thread

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a heads up. My plan to get out and clear the trees off Bendi before the weekend isn't going to happen. I'll be away over the weekend and wont be able to get out there till next week. If you are out for a spin just watch out for the fallen trees.

Cheers,
CBG.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
kentlyn saturday

guys ill be heading out on saturday morning for
my first ride, need a bit of guidance as far as types of tracks ,
hilly, flowing, technical) (which direction they go (one way or both ) and a starting point ,
is bendi less technical than the rock trail , are the downhill tracks easy, hard ?
im after something with a bit of flow to it as this will be my first
ride on my longer travel (heavier) bike that my xc bike , so need to rack up some kays and getuse to it before I do anything to crazy on it .
Thanks Grant

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Best place to start is end of boronia rd, go past gate, turn left at fire trail T intersection to the top of hill and look right, you will see a trail, head in there and veer left, this is crank it, probably the best track for flow.

Rock trail is quite technical. To get there go to previously mention T intersection, turn right and trail entrance is 20m on right. Follow and it will bring you out right near cars.

Bendi is very nice, but unless you know how to get there can be hard to find from boronia, best parking at the end of old Kent rd and taking the gate on the left just after the divide in road stops ( this will make sense when you get there, after gate trail entrance is about 400m on left, entrance to bendi is about 200m in on right, marked by two parallel logs, you can't miss them.

Hope this helps, would come out and show you round but I'm going away.

Last edited:

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate , it would've been good to have my own tour guide :)
my original plan was to get Filthy frother to show me around and do a bit of a recon
on my xc bike , then grab my longer travel rig and ride that but I crashed my xc bike last weekend so im down to one bike, ive pmed filthy but he hasn't got back to me , I might do bendi if its the less technical of the two tracks and if I have any energy left look around crank-it , can the features on the downhill tracks be rolled over if I want and are all the tracks marked which directionthey should be riden
Thanks Grant.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Rock trail is direction marked so is the start of crank it, it goes down hill. Bendi isn't but if you start from old Kent rd your will go the right way. Bendi has a wider trail crossing it before you go down a steep section, to get back to the cars turn right before going down the steep section and it will lead you back to the FT that you rode in on.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Crank It has been changed a lot lately and you had better check it out first. There are Gap Jumps and rolldowns etc and a lot wasn't finished off. So Caution first. It has been very dry lately which is good but there was a big wind storm last week. Sticks and junk etc. There is a ladder halfway down but I always check out if it is still there first.
Crank It isn't the only DH . Where Suchislife said go to the top of hill is the best start point and they all start from there.
XC is my favourite and The Rock Trail is in good condition. But I read your XC is a no go. Have fun on the DH.
Enjoy

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Just finished my first ride at Kentlyn, first up a[SUP][/SUP] massive thumbs up to all the guys who work and maintain the tracks:first:
got there about 7:00 decided I was in the right place (near the child care ) so kitted up went through the gates rode down the fire trail about 100 m hooked right and in I went , rode around for about 30_40 min ,stopped decided where to go next and came across another guy(sorry forget your name ) rode a stumpy with tripples ,
he said the guys he usually ride with were a no show and offered to show me some of they trails he usually rides ,
so spent the next 3 hours riding bendi then across the road and onto the rock trail , rode the new bit :first: had a moment when I went passed (no fat guys ) forgot that my bars are wider than my xc ones , and introduced myself to one of the trees (, to busy laughing at the funny signs) made our way back to the road thanked my guide , and managed to find my way back to were I rode in (surprise surprise) all up a biblicaly good day out .
once again a big thanks to all the Kentlyn crew.
Grant

mtboer

Likes Dirt
bowtaj
people enjoying the trails like you did on the weekend is why Trail Fairies exist.
Kentlyn is a great area.

Agostino

Likes Dirt
I have never seen Kentlyn so busy! must have been at least 30 riders there on Sunday morning.
Got to meet one of the builders, I was wearing a bright blue helmet and riding a Stumpjumper also blue.
Just wanted to say such good trails out there now so much work has been put in. Good work to all those involved.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have never seen Kentlyn so busy! must have been at least 30 riders there on Sunday morning.
Got to meet one of the builders, I was wearing a bright blue helmet and riding a Stumpjumper also blue.
Just wanted to say such good trails out there now so much work has been put in. Good work to all those involved.
Yeah, I nearly freaked out when I saw all the cars. Where you part of the Meetup group or the other group that was there?

Agostino

Likes Dirt
Wasn't really part of either group. I was looking forward to a nice quiet solo ride to explore and see some new additions to some of the trails.

As I turned down the main street to park I saw all these guys, got talking to one of the guys (think he was Chinese, along with the rest of his mates. Think they were part of CCMTB?) he rocked up the same time as me, got chatting away an invited me along so decided to tag along. Also thought I'd show them other parts of Kentlyn apart from the Rock trail.

By the time I was finished showing them around (about 3 hours) they were all pretty tired and just wanted to get back. Reminded me of when I started riding.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went for a walk around Bendi today to check for any downed branches after the high winds we had yesterday. Happy to say not much stuff on the track which was good. Did some tidy up as I went and the trail is looking good.

CBG.

Newts

Likes Dirt
Old FR/DH lines

CBG,
knowing that you have been riding the area for a few years and you will be able to make judgement on the old FR/DH lines....

What state are they in (compared to 2-3 years ago)? Are the still ridable? The work that the new people are doing - is it any good?

Thinking about heading back out for a look see

Last edited:

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Newts,

The only track I am aware of people working on is Crank-It (to the right). Other than the damage done by somebody who thought that chopping trees down with an axe was a good idea Crank-It looked fine.

As far as the other DH/FR tracks I don't know what has been done to them. The last time I had a scout around the DH/FR tracks was months back and they were in a bad way with lots of erosion and broken woodwork. Bob may have a better idea as he spends a lot more time in that area than I do. I'm sure he will pop up shortly and share his knowledge.

CBG.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Kentlyn Downhill

Hi Guys, I'm not really the 'go to guy' for DH, but I still ride down Crank It (Right) on my XC rides.
I would have to say that the maintenance is not up to scratch but there is work being done.
Again I would say, they are not as good as 2-3 years ago when there was a great DH crew.
Probably less people doing the work. Haven't checked the North Side of the DH, Cannonball etc. but I believe there is work going into that too.
As CBG said before any runs, check them out.
I spend a lot of time on The Rock Trail as XC is my favourite, but I do like Crank It on the way through to Bendi.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I got myself out there this afternoon after a long hiatus (2yrs+) and was pleasantly surprised with the work that had been done to both the top of S&L and the lower end of Crank it (right). The jumps on Crank it though leave me to think they weren't completely thought through before building where there is a super short steep take off and either a tiny 3-4ft gap or landing to flat. Perhaps some communication with the guys who dug them in and we might be able to work on something that will be suit something with a longer wheel base than a bmx.
I didn't get much time to look at much else but it I can find the time, I'll be happy to lean on a shovel occasionally. Gone are the days where I will spend every weekend digging and building out there like I used to but I'm happy to help when I can.

Agostino

Likes Dirt
I got myself out there this afternoon after a long hiatus (2yrs+) and was pleasantly surprised with the work that had been done to both the top of S&L and the lower end of Crank it (right). The jumps on Crank it though leave me to think they weren't completely thought through before building where there is a super short steep take off and either a tiny 3-4ft gap or landing to flat. Perhaps some communication with the guys who dug them in and we might be able to work on something that will be suit something with a longer wheel base than a bmx.
I didn't get much time to look at much else but it I can find the time, I'll be happy to lean on a shovel occasionally. Gone are the days where I will spend every weekend digging and building out there like I used to but I'm happy to help when I can.
Yeah a guy (think his name was Andrew?) and me helped tidy up S&L. Tidied up a few of the berms and made slight alterations to to arc on a few of the berms. Still needs a bit more work but it wasn't in too bad a shape considering.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Crank It (to the Right)

Have cleaned up Crank It (to the Right). Running really well and John has rebuilt a 1 to 2 metre drop halfway down and it is called Cherry Drop.
Not real sure about the very steep gap jumps though, be careful. The Rock Trail (XC) is in good condition and riding well.

Yes Agostino his name is Andrew he was there today doing some runs on DH.

Last edited:

drew12341

Likes Bikes
Have cleaned up Crank It (to the Right). Running really well and John has rebuilt a 1 to 2 metre drop halfway down and it is called Cherry Drop.
Not real sure about the very steep gap jumps though, be careful. The Rock Trail (XC) is in good condition and riding well.

Yes Agostino his name is Andrew he was there today doing some runs on DH.
Yeah, thats me. I don't get much time, but will try and keep working on that line. Last week I also moved a heap of boulders to try and fix up one of the rock gardens halfway down