Official kentlyn thread

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I always get 5.9-6kms on my gps for the Rock Trail. Are you using a wheel sensor? I'm only using the gps and could understand how it might be out with the way the track snakes around.
Most of the time the small side to side movements whilst riding are not enough to trigger the GPSr to register a waypoint. Even though the track winds around the GPSr thinks you are still heading in a straight line. Also, the odometer on a GPSr only records 2D point to point distances. So you are only recording points on a flat plane, no ups or downs are included. Interesting distance comparisons on this page: http://www.gpsmap.net/Distances.html. Most of the time the difference is trivial though and can be ignored. Best way to measure distance is with a wheel sensor.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Guys are riding The Rock Trail in 25mins. I have the most advantage of knowing the trail, but they are just too quick. I usually ride quick but steady in about 30-31 minutes, and can ride about 3 laps at that pace.
It would be good to see how fast Daniel McDonald of Daniels Drop could go.

Comic Book Guy is spot on with the GPS/Garmin info.. Very useful tool but they struggle on something like The Rock Trail.
One of the guys that ride 25mins at TRT said he was averaging 10kph. Yep on a GPS. Interesting to see GPS overprinted on to an Orienteering Map and they cut a lot of corners.

Newts

Likes Dirt
I had my first ride on the rock trail in about 20 months yesterday - thanks to Steve and Rob who I met at the trail head who were happy to let me tag along.

The 'new' additions - last time I rode, you went straight into the gully - are well made and such and enjoyable ride. Time to get some more laps in there.
May also get the big rig out and have a few runs on the old lines that really need some TLC

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
I had my first ride on the rock trail in about 20 months yesterday - thanks to Steve and Rob who I met at the trail head who were happy to let me tag along.

The 'new' additions - last time I rode, you went straight into the gully - are well made and such and enjoyable ride. Time to get some more laps in there.
May also get the big rig out and have a few runs on the old lines that really need some TLC
This Steve you speak of, he didn't happen to have a loud Canadian accent and make motorbike noises whilst riding like a cut snake by any chance???

Great to see all this chatter.

I'm two weeks away from heading to SE Asia with my SB95 for an open ended adventure. I sure will miss Kentlyn, especially as now it seems to be getting a bit busier. Glad to have ridden with some and built with others, perhaps things will still look familiar next time I'm back.

I'll be starting up a blog with images and text from my travels in Cambodia, Thailand etc. Maybe post here.

Hopefully, I can get another run or two in before I leave. Bob?

Sent from my M470BSS using Tapatalk

BTW, I've written my Yeti, a 29er, and my Scott Voltage in there. All different experiences. I reckon a 650b would be good overall. Downhill tracks are still most fun on a 26, IMHO.

A 650b trail/AM bike is a good all-rounder for Sydney. Giant, ahem, has good affordable options.

Newts

Likes Dirt
ride this afternoon

Is anyone going to be out for a ride this afternoon?
I am likely going to get there about 5ish for a lap or 2 of the rock trail

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
BTW, I've written my Yeti, a 29er, and my Scott Voltage in there. All different experiences. I reckon a 650b would be good overall. Downhill tracks are still most fun on a 26, IMHO.

Hey intellikat, was it you I bumped into at the bottom of the DH runs on the YETI 575 the Sunday before last? I was on the Scott LT10 and had the mate on the anthem, if so thanks for the tour, I plan on getting out and doing a bit more exploring of the tracks you pointed out to us.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A tree has come down across Bendi. It's bigger than it looks in the below photo. I'll try and remove it but the trail may need to be re-routed around it.

2013-12-12 16.32.24.jpg

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably about 40cm across. Lot of work to cut it with a bush saw.

On the right hand side of the photo is the base which is wedged between some other stumps. To the left of the photo the trunk branches. I was thinking it might be easier to cut the branches and let the trunk drop and then just a short diversion around the left of the fallen trunk.

I am hoping to be able to get out and have a go at clearing this soon but I am not confident as xmas is nearly upon us.

CBG.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Keys found on The Rock Trail-Kentlyn

Today, I found 2 keys on a Wristband (Skye Winter), on the Trail and put them in the 'Found on Trail' pot, at the Numbers Gallery.

Trail is riding well.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Keys

Yes Damo, but it also said Loving Memory of Skye Winter.

The Keys are only padlock keys like I use on my Bikes.

Saw you up there a couple of weeks ago, crossing Peter Meadows, with another rider. I think it was the day you met Intellikat. (John). I rode with him later.