Official kentlyn thread

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Been out three times in the past week (twice on the xc bike and once on the big bike). The rock trail is riding sweet.
I was a little pissed off at the amount of trees that have been cut down on some of the DH runs (Crank to the right being the main one).
This is not a good look for the MTB community as there are alot of local residents who walk the trails and it only takes one complaint to have the trails shut down as has happened in the past.
To whoever has been working on the lower part of S&L, good work apart from a weird kicker right before the step up rock. I can't work out why it's was put in.
Here's a little video from Boxing Day afternoon. Our first ride on the big bikes for about 12 months.

[video=vimeo;82767098]https://vimeo.com/82767098[/video]

Newts

Likes Dirt
Been out three times in the past week (twice on the xc bike and once on the big bike). The rock trail is riding sweet.
I was a little pissed off at the amount of trees that have been cut down on some of the DH runs (Crank to the right being the main one).
This is not a good look for the MTB community as there are alot of local residents who walk the trails and it only takes one complaint to have the trails shut down as has happened in the past.
To whoever has been working on the lower part of S&L, good work apart from a weird kicker right before the step up rock. I can't work out why it's was put in.
Here's a little video from Boxing Day afternoon. Our first ride on the big bikes for about 12 months.
That guy that was riding behind you was riding like an absolute tool

drew12341

Likes Bikes

[video=vimeo;82767098]https://vimeo.com/82767098[/video]
Nice run!

I have no idea who put that kicker in before the step up rock but I agree, I can't work it out either! I usually just hit the drop to the left or right instead.
I'm also disappointed about the removal of trees as well, thats the quickest way to get this place shut down. I ran into a bloke a few weeks ago who mentioned bringing a trailer and wood into Kentlyn and fixing up/installing new wooden features around 'Crank It'. I tried to talk him out of it, hopefully he doesn't go ahead with it. If you're on here buddy please just use rocks and dirt like the rest of us, keep it 'natural' and it will stay open longer. With Kessels shut down, Appin still closed and Mt Annan only available to the unemployed we need to look after little Kentlyn.

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
Kessel shut down? Couple of my mates rode it on Saturday....whilst there is some work being conducted 99% of it is still rideable....well, it was on Saturday.

drew12341

Likes Bikes
Kessel shut down? Couple of my mates rode it on Saturday....whilst there is some work being conducted 99% of it is still rideable....well, it was on Saturday.
What! Someone told me it was all locked up/shut down a couple of weeks ago! I take it back then... so many rumours.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
What! Someone told me it was all locked up/shut down a couple of weeks ago! I take it back then... so many rumours.
Rode kessels this morning and although the start has changed it will remain open. ( Thanks to some very quick response work from the trail fairies). We spoke with the land owner who has been clearing his land which the trail goes through. seemed like a nice bloke with no concern about the trail. He will be putting up fences and signs shortly but will not be blocking the trail that goes through his property nor will he actively policing it unless those on his property are up to no good. So please respect this trail and allow it to remain open.

Newts

Likes Dirt
What is with all of the 1ft triangle jumps to nothing?
Understand an intention to make a track a little more interesting, but to have something plonked into the middle of the track is just a waste of time.

Have a look at the jumps that have been out there for over 5 years and the shape that they were built, it gives you an idea of how things should be built

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Understand an intention to make a track a little more interesting, but to have something plonked into the middle of the track is just a waste of time.

Have a look at the jumps that have been out there for over 5 years and the shape that they were built, it gives you an idea of how things should be built
Totally agree.
I think a shovel and rake might need to be taken out next time we hit the dh lines.
There's so much potential just using the existing trails and what is already out there if people are willing to take the time and plan any new features or modifications.
When I built Snakes & Ladders almost 6 years ago I spent 4 months cutting the main line in and building the first two jumps and the old ladder drop which no longer exists although it was fun.
Not one tree was felled in the process of building that track. It was built around what was there.
Just some food for thought

drew12341

Likes Bikes

I have no idea who this is directed at, but I don't know who builds those little triangle jumps. Whoever it is, I don't think they use this forum.

Newts

Likes Dirt
I have no idea who this is directed at, but I don't know who builds those little triangle jumps. Whoever it is, I don't think they use this forum.
no-one in particular - just raising the question and pointing out the obvious flaw in design.

I am sure that most of you would agree that it useless

romy

Likes Dirt
Im going to do a bit of work to Crank it right this week, all natural, the jumps put in need transitions or they just don't help maintain speed.
If anyone is keen for a ride or to pick up a shovel pm me your #.

mtb1611

Seymour
Slightly off topic (I only mention it as it's been discussed recently) however having ridden it this morning I can confirm that the Kessell Run (Camden) is a live and well and, in fact, in fine form.

romy

Likes Dirt
Typo in last post, "Crank it left." Beaves101 and I have built some transitions on the 2 small jumps at the start. Also built a new feature next to the roll over before the rock garden. You can now choose to take a drop off (3 foot to transition) on the left. Have cleared the rock garden of a bunch of loose shite and cleared some sand from after the second rock drop, enjoy

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Good work gents, so to clear up a few things for a noob, a: what is a transition and b: was this work done to crank it right or left?

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Good work gents, so to clear up a few things for a noob, a: what is a transition and b: was this work done to crank it right or left?
SuchisLife, you're no noob. You are a Kentlyn Warrior.

Met ROMY up there yesterday and he was working on the little gap jumps at the top of Crank It, where it crosses the Firetrail.

The jumps were built like they should have been 2 metres high and used for BMX Jumps. So he improved the lead in (Transition) so they become rideable. Looks a lot better.

He was then going to work on Crank It Left.

Hi guys me romy, did some work which has improved the flow. There is still some work to be done. will be heading done this arvo to do some more work and quick ride if your interested pm.

romy

Likes Dirt
Hi gents went down this morning for a quick spin, always a good ride when the temp is a little more mild.

@ Suchislife, as Mtboer said, a transition is the ramp of a jump either up or down. Having jumps to flat landings will slow you down.
Having down ramps or landing transitions allows you to pump out of a jump and maintain/gather more speed.

@Beaves101, Cant get down this afternoon. Ill shoot you a text to organise tools to finish cutting in that new section if your keen.
I raked out all the leaves and branches to the bridge. so just need to build up turns and the roll in and then cut the connecting line.

The work we did on crank, makes that track 100 times better. alot of fun too. Went out today and went over some of the work we did previously. Once we keep on top of the tracks should be sweet.