Official kentlyn thread

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The snakes are out. I've had two encounters in the last month.

Spotted the first one (a Swamp snake) from a few metres away and just went around it. Second one scared the f**k out of me. Checking on a koala that was near the end of the fire trail at PM rd. Put my foot down, heard a rustle, looked down and there was a Brown wriggling away from in front of my left foot. Nearly shit myself.

Keep your eyes open.

CBG.

Does anyone know who owns that orange shovel located further down from the DH clearing? (When you go left on the fire trail from Boronia Rd). I need a shovel like that but i'm afraid I only own a long-handled one that I would rather not use.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
The DH guys own the shovel. I've got 2 green ones on the XC, but they would be hard to find.
It just saves taking tools in every time.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Just rode a quick loop of The Rock Trail and no more damage. Usually vandals are lazy.
Now off to Sparrow Hill.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
There is actually more than what is shown on those maps. I think I need to go and record some gps track logs so I can improve those maps.
I draw those tracks after a visit in 2012. Grant B lead a group of us around and that's all I could remember from the day.

Send me a copy of the GPS tracks too, and some details etc. I'd be happy to update my work. I really should visit again.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just rode my regular loop. There are a few spots getting overgrown but they seem to be getting enough use to hold the growth back a bit.

We saw two nice blue tongue lizards on the Rock Trail near the end, just after the down and up rock face climb bit with the B line around it.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
I just rode my regular loop. There are a few spots getting overgrown but they seem to be getting enough use to hold the growth back a bit.

We saw two nice blue tongue lizards on the Rock Trail near the end, just after the down and up rock face climb bit with the B line around it.
Saw a Black Snake there looking for those lizards on Friday, when I cleaned up after the vandal effort on Tue/Wed.

When you organising another Byrnes Tour of Kentlyn ?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw a Black Snake there looking for those lizards on Friday, when I cleaned up after the vandal effort on Tue/Wed.

When you organising another Byrnes Tour of Kentlyn ?
We diodn't see a single snake. I think I heard one in the grass near PM Rd and that was close enough.

I need to get some fitness back! I walked up every significant climb. The two fireroad climbs (going off either side) in the middle of the creek track, the fireroad leading up to the RT, the old pallet climb, the one leading to the top of PM Rd from my usual start at Old Kent and Darling and the loose fireroad climb leading back to Bendi. I suck.

Do you remember the old singletrack network that used to be at the top of PM Rd on the opposite side of the gulley from the pallet climb? I used to like that section before a storm went through and blew some trees over. I might have a look at getting it going again at some stage.

I'm thinking of starting at Waratah Rd, and hopefully finishing at that gully. It's a bit dense down there though. I'm most likely going to ride up there with a rake and shovel tomorrow morning. Also thinking of trying to sort out the erosion problem where the trails meet, at that steep, short uphill.

romy

Likes Dirt
Hi Gents, Bob,

Bit of a break through winter but a new rig will bring me back down to one of my favorites.
How is Crank it left going? My jumps / bridge still alive?

Be down on Sunday me thinks

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Good Map CBG

The Rock Trail, has a big tree down after 4km. A makeshift rollover has been built.

Be careful.