Official kentlyn thread

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Freres Road is nearby and has space for cars.

From the Minto Heights side. There's a trail that comes down to the creek from Newman Rd.

Down the Bendi end, the corner of Darling and Old Kent Rd has lots of space. End of Corral Ave is another spot (I have found used syringes there recently so may not be the best spot at the moment).

CBG.

Last edited:

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
You're both right Bob and CBG people will park anywhere wherever they can so they can ride. I'm glad to see Kentlyn like this but at the same time, I hope it doesn't cause a fuss like it did a few years ago

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
You're both right Bob and CBG people will park anywhere wherever they can so they can ride. I'm glad to see Kentlyn like this but at the same time, I hope it doesn't cause a fuss like it did a few years ago
Easy . Make it more difficult to ride . So many times at Kentlyn I hear people say I don`t ride Appin cause it`s too hard and I look at them and question as to what`s too hard about Appin ?

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
Easy . Make it more difficult to ride . So many times at Kentlyn I hear people say I don`t ride Appin cause it`s too hard and I look at them and question as to what`s too hard about Appin ?
This is true mate, but then you get people that don't know trail building etiquette and start making new lines, then claim the trail as their own work. Frustrates the shit out of me, don't worry though there will be a trail not a lot will ride soon enough

Jado

Likes Dirt
Yes and no, I think if we seperate the regulars from the semi-regulars you would find that the semi-regulars probably don't even know of any alternatives. Me, personally if I'm going for a solo I just use Hereford and I love it its a great place to start a ride. Many people would be happy to use an alternative if they know it helps reduce congestion and is a good place for starting a ride.

It would be good if it was split up.

What I'm angling at I have some reach with a good number of the MTB folk that turn up and I feel that (if asked) virtually all would want to help in reducing the congestion at Boronia even if they alternated themselves. If i make the request, and offer a really good alternative i think the alternative will naturally grow, cause its helping the trail builders/locals and it rocks as way to start your ride.

MTB'ing is getting bigger year on year and Kentlyn's usage is too. Seeing the amount of cars there (Boronia) over the last 8 months or so it makes me wonder if the residents might see it as too much.

Does anyone see an issue if cars would park along Hansens rd in front of the reservoir and using the Hansens Rd entry? if not I will get the word out there to start using and more than that its my favorite spot so I will request it and recommend it.

Then I think you will see a gradual increase of cars parked along hansen's with MTB racks.

(potential issues i see are the locals there at Hereford having riders come and go and its only single track in and out meaning riders coming and going are one the same trail, but wouldn't be hard to make another one and make them in and out. )

Thoughts?

MarioM

Likes Dirt
This is true mate, but then you get people that don't know trail building etiquette and start making new lines, then claim the trail as their own work. Frustrates the shit out of me, don't worry though there will be a trail not a lot will ride soon enough
Golden rule is to never mess with someones trail unless you are building with them . Looking forward to the new lines . Its outside my area but its on the loop my buddies and I have in the Sydney area ( 2 are from Sydney and me from down south ) , so its always a Syd based ride , on our Wednesday night ride . I can`t seem to get to six bridges during the day which I`m frothing to do so have to be content to hit it of a night . So much trail so well built , but not big bar friendly in spots which is no biggee .

Why Appin gets the thumbs down from a lot of people , I think , is because every major storm that happens you are riding a different track on the same lines . Also , it was such a demanding track to begin with . Move off the old race loop and it gets better and better . Ever since CRANK1979 stopped doing work ( main race loop ) its fluctuates and kicks you to the curb saying you have no right here . Which is why I love it so much .

As I`m crap on directions there is a run that takes you through root drops and rock drops in a sort of slalom line that just blows my mind . Its like riding Daniels drop non stop type of feeling , I like it that much . Kudos to you guys , MTBOER , CBG , YEAHYEAH and unlisted builders .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Yes and no, I think if we seperate the regulars from the semi-regulars you would find that the semi-regulars probably don't even know of any alternatives. Me, personally if I'm going for a solo I just use Hereford and I love it its a great place to start a ride. Many people would be happy to use an alternative if they know it helps reduce congestion and is a good place for starting a ride.

What I'm angling at I have some reach with a good number of the MTB folk that turn up and I feel that (if asked) virtually all would want to help in reducing the congestion at Boronia even if they alternated themselves. If i make the request, and offer a really good alternative i think the alternative will naturally grow, cause its helping the trail builders/locals and it rocks as way to start your ride.

MTB'ing is getting bigger year on year and Kentlyn's usage is too. Seeing the amount of cars there (Boronia) over the last 8 months or so it makes me wonder if the residents might see it as too much.

Does anyone see an issue if cars would park along Hansens rd in front of the reservoir and using the Hansens Rd entry? if not I will get the word out there to start using and more than that its my favorite spot so I will request it and recommend it.

Then I think you will see a gradual increase of cars parked along hansen's with MTB racks.

(potential issues i see are the locals there at Hereford having riders come and go and its only single track in and out meaning riders coming and going are one the same trail, but wouldn't be hard to make another one and make them in and out. )

Thoughts?
We usually alternate between Old kent and Boronia roads , not knowing the area too well . I hope it does not end up like Harry`s .

mtboer

Likes Dirt
MarioM --- Harry's is Harrington Grove ??

If you park as Jado says at Hereford Rd side near the Water Tower, you drop straight into Six Bridges and do that first.

Newts

Likes Dirt
Jado we rode the loop today off your Garmin (whatever) http://www.strava.com/activities/605336134

That is a top loop now. 16kms all up. The trail you have done up is an old one of mine that nobody could ride so it went into disuse. You have made it a great ride.
The bit early to link up from Waratah is a top loop.
There were 17 in our group and they all thought it was great.

Glad you got your bike back
CBG, is the loop around Peter Meadows and Waratah road above the creek line still functional? I haven't been up that area in about 6 years.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
MarioM --- Harry's is Harrington Grove ??

If you park as Jado says at Hereford Rd side near the Water Tower, you drop straight into Six Bridges and do that first.
Cheers . Yeah Harrington Grove , what a nice trail that was , I take it its still dead ? . Will start parking at Hereford .

Jado

Likes Dirt
CBG, is the loop around Peter Meadows and Waratah road above the creek line still functional? I haven't been up that area in about 6 years.
Might be the one i cleaned up, there's nothing else going from Waratah towards Peter Meadows except the creek trail.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Might be the one i cleaned up, there's nothing else going from Waratah towards Peter Meadows except the creek trail.
It is the only trail going that way and it is now part of the best loop Kentlyn has ever had. I reckon all of it is best ridden clockwise.
There is a trail higher and closer to Peter Meadows that was called the goat track, as it was hard to get to. But worth it once up there.
There was a boardwalk leading up to it near the gully next to Peter Meadows Rd, which is now gone.

Jado

Likes Dirt
It is the only trail going that way and it is now part of the best loop Kentlyn has ever had. I reckon all of it is best ridden clockwise.
There is a trail higher and closer to Peter Meadows that was called the goat track, as it was hard to get to. But worth it once up there.
There was a boardwalk leading up to it near the gully next to Peter Meadows Rd, which is now gone.
I recently explored up there and yeah its very tight, I decided not worth any further consideration. A boardwalk makes sense.

Jado

Likes Dirt
I it is now part of the best loop Kentlyn has ever had. I reckon all of it is best ridden clockwise.
that's wonderful to hear! I rode three laps on the weekend and yeah I agree, it has a great deal of variety and challenge. There is a real variety of surfaces and dirt types and the variety of all this appeals to a wide range of rider types.

Definitely a clockwise trail though

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From the big firetrail/PM creek track intersection where you can either go up the steep climb to the power pole track, or up the other firetrail to the end of Waratah, are you guys talking about entering the old trail that traversed the side of the hill and exited onto the big sandstone slab of the PM creek track as just being done up? I've been riding that one pretty consistently for years. Is the other one the descending trail further up Waratah from that and it used to have a decent drop off from a big rock?

The stuff after where the old boardwalk climb used to be is still there and rideable. It just needs a rake in. There also used to be a mini loop on the other side of the pallet climb track that got destroyed in a storm years ago and then never got re ridden in. I've always wondered why there aren't more trails on the other side of PM Rd too.

I hope this picture helps my descriptions a bit.

Kentlyn.jpg

mtboer

Likes Dirt
kent.jpg

Check out the western trail (very rough drawing but general)
eastern trail is cleaned up with extension clean up to the north and back to Waratah.
Other trail not cleaned up. YET???

I ride a 16km loop with The Rock Trail then up past the DH 5 ways along Firetrail to Waratah and into bush there.
Along traverse track and turn right and then cross main creek to get to six bridges. Then up to west extension and to the NW corner and back up firetrail to Boronia.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've always wondered why there aren't more trails on the other side of PM Rd too.
The area marked as "I always wondered why there aren't more trails in here" on your map is an old tip. If you go for a wander you can see sharp bits of metal and other rubbish sticking out of the ground. Other than the main fire trail I don't go into that area. There are some industrial size dump bins in the back corner: https://goo.gl/maps/mXVSmJv7gsF2 .

Up the hill to the east of the tip area has heaps of space.

CBG.

Last edited:

mtboer

Likes Dirt
The area marked as "I always wondered why there aren't more trails in here" on your map is an old tip. If you go for a wander you can see sharp bits of metal and other rubbish sticking out of the ground. Other than the main fire trail I don't go into that area. There are some industrial size dump bins in the back corner: https://goo.gl/maps/mXVSmJv7gsF2 .

Up the hill to the east of the tip area has heaps of space.

CBG.
CBG that area up top is as big as The Rock Trail. Ben Brand had a trail in there other than the firetrail years ago.
I think like my group then we used the fireroad to Peter Meadows as an easy ride to recover and talk.
A lot of potential in there. I rode up there scouting for new trail before Rock Trail and broke a Derailleur and also thought that there is more chance there of vandalism of the trail.

Newts

Likes Dirt
That's the one... mainly flat but there were plenty of rock features for added fun.

Don't forget about the track that ran from the corner of Waratah with the 3 or 4 foot drop that had 2 directions to finish. 1 to the creek track that came out near the little dip after the crossings and the other ran down towards the gully with Crankin.

Last edited:

Jado

Likes Dirt
That's the one... mainly flat but there were plenty of rock features for added fun.

Don't forget about the track that ran from the corner of Waratah with the 3 or 4 foot drop that had 2 directions to finish. 1 to the creek track that came out near the little dip after the crossings and the other ran down towards the gully with Crankin.
Newts, that's the track has been cleaned up and reopened. It's goes left at the cliff top along and joins Bob's old goat trail, we cut and man handled a 100 tonne fallen tree blocking the trail to get that part open. The whole trail has been dubbed A Ridge Too Far.

You should get there and ride it, it forms a great loop, after A Ridge Too Far go into 6 Bridges, then up the hill and back along other ridge called Ridgeback Rampage, brings you out at Pole To Creek trail.

Last edited: