Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

T.3

Likes Dirt
That video has me wanting to ride it again now even more than I already did. Again can't thank the SNORC guys enough for their tireless persistence and Synergy for an absolute 1st rate job.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Less than a week to go till opening. Here is the official teaser edit, get stoked!

[video=youtube;6psyekfgngs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6psyekfgngs[/video]
Nice video guys!
Can't wait to get down there again- it was probably a good thing getting a few weeks worth of riders over the track last year to see where the wear & tear would start or what lines/approaches people were using.
OK so lets talk lunch!
Can some of you locals recommend some good places to eat?
Healthy cafe stuff, a good burger, Chinese- you name it. Next time I ride there I don't want to get in the F3 on an empty stomach ha ha.

My blog: www.justmytype81.wordpress.com
Stuff about stuff I like- bikes, music, food and laughs. Subscribe.

Healthy cafe stuff, a good burger, Chinese- you name it. Next time I ride there I don't want to get in the F3 on an empty stomach ha ha.

Theres a couple of cafe's just up the road near Hornsby Cycles "Bru Ha Ha" on the Pacific Highway....cycle friendly ! plus a few other takeaways/restaurants....chinese, indian and noodles along the strip there.
My favourite is Chefs Noodles for quick noodle/rice takeaway dishes :).......Welcome to Hornsby !!!

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice video guys!
Can't wait to get down there again- it was probably a good thing getting a few weeks worth of riders over the track last year to see where the wear & tear would start or what lines/approaches people were using.
OK so lets talk lunch!
Best old school hamburgers with the lot at the 'Little modern' Fish and chip shop, fish and chips there are pretty ordinary though.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Don't go to brewhaha if your in a hurry though, eating there is fine and coffee is very good, but evrrytime I've gone there for takeaway at lunchtime it's taken forever. Like 15-20 minutes for a bacon and egg roll. Superb roll though.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
anyone know what the plans are for the opening? are the LBS gonna be there? demos? a live jazz band? hahaha i know they had a pretty big turnout for the opening of jubes so this should be bigger/better! I really hope the weather plays ball, this rain will have been great for the trail though... as long as folks stay off until it hardens up a bit.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone know what the plans are for the opening? are the LBS gonna be there? demos? a live jazz band? hahaha i know they had a pretty big turnout for the opening of jubes so this should be bigger/better! I really hope the weather plays ball, this rain will have been great for the trail though... as long as folks stay off until it hardens up a bit.
No idea, we have not had any involvement. We are hopefully saving the big one for when stage 2 is finished.

Wollongong rider

Trail looks great!!! Any one doing the jet black all mountain race on Sunday at Ourimbah? I'm heading up from Wollongong and is thinking this would be a great way to break up the trip. Spend Sat arvo riding here before setting up camp at Ourimbah wake up fresh and ready to get the shuttle on. Let me know if anybody is interested.

Adam12

Cannon Fodder
Hi Foxpuppet
There are no grand plans for the Stage 1 opening. I think its just speeches and a chance to ride. Something bigger when the trails are totally completed should be the go.

In general the trail survived the rain really well, but a couple of twits rode the trail in the wet and left deep ruts through some of the recently layed clay armouring that hadn't been compacted yet. These sections needs to be redone.
A massive amount of water, silt and sand from the pool construction site has caused erosion and left a mess across the trails. We'll be struggling to get it all back together for the opening.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yeah I did a walk through after work this arvo, I was actually pleasantly surprised with how well the track held up to the water considering the volume of rain we got. The drainage worked super well. I did see the ruts and using some fancy footwork squashed a few of them back to flat but it was pretty much sodden clay oozing out everywhere.
My biggest annoyance though was to do with the new rock armouring done on the king of the hill climb section. I'm glad I got to ride it prior as that's taken some of the joy of the technical climb out. I can see why it's needed but it was a fun challenge. There were a few good slippery roots to get over that are now gone under the flagging and the little cleft in the rocks right near the kOth sign was fun to negotiate and now is also flagged over. However the longevity of the trail is important and these areas were already carved up pretty bad. Plus it covers a lot of the broken glass through 99 bottles. Some new KOM's should be set now as its much smoother rolling up the hill. Can't wait till the weekend.

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Ah, bugger. That was quite a little challenge on occasion, that bit. You really had to hit it at the right angle to avoid washing out and stuffing up climb.

Anyway, I understand why it was done as it was getting quite rutted.

Last edited:

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Ah, bugger. That was quite a little challenge on occasion, that but. You really had to hit it at the right angle to avoid washing out and stuffing up climb.

Agree with you BT180 as that part took me several laps to fully nail, I even got to show off in front of some other riders once I had it sorted. Will make the climb easier but more fun which is what the trail is all about.

See you at the opening, looking forward to taking my kids, 5 & 6, around the green track as much as riding the main trails.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Ah, bugger. That was quite a little challenge on occasion, that bit. You really had to hit it at the right angle to avoid washing out and stuffing up climb.

My technique after 3 runs of not making the pinch was to accelerate straight at the rock to the right and use it like a banked turn. Very tidy line... Looking forward to seeing how it rolls now!

markb84

Likes Dirt
I was just pondering to myself how the rain had affected the track and sure enough the information is all here.

A testament to good trail work; amazing how well everything held together given the amount of rain, that's what you call a sustainable trail!

Looking forward to the weekend!!! :bounce:

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Due to the recent rain and the forecast rain for the weekend Hornsby Shire Council has cancelled the opening scheduled for Saturday.

The guys at Synergy trails also remind us all that the trails are still closed and to defiantly not ride them at the moment due to wet conditions to allow the new work to bed in properly.

Still can't wait for them to open, not sure when a new date will be set.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Due to the recent rain and the forecast rain for the weekend Hornsby Shire Council has cancelled the opening scheduled for Saturday.

The guys at Synergy trails also remind us all that the trails are still closed and to defiantly not ride them at the moment due to wet conditions to allow the new work to bed in properly.

Still can't wait for them to open, not sure when a new date will be set.
Seriously?? 1 day beforehand it gets cancelled? That really messes up plans for the weekend.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Seriously?? 1 day beforehand it gets cancelled? That really messes up plans for the weekend.

Unfortunately no-one at SNORC, Synergy or Hornsby Council can control the weather. pretty sure not many would want to stand around in the valley and listen to the mayor's speech in the rain. so common sense has prevailed.