Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

stickso

Likes Dirt
I also received this - typing out emails now. Would be a massive loss for Sydney if it isn't resolved favourably.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Received this from councillor Nick Berman today:

“Council is currently in discussions with RMS and Lend Lease Bouygues (LLB) the construction contractor to partially fill Hornsby Quarry with NorthConnex spoil. Council has identified that the filling operation will have a major impact on the current use of the existing MTB trails and will necessitate their relocation to enable continued use whilst filling operations occur.

The option put forward by LLB to partially fill the quarry includes a provision for the relocation of the existing MTB trails within the quarry.”

Looks like a step in the right direction.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Received this from councillor Nick Berman today:

“Council is currently in discussions with RMS and Lend Lease Bouygues (LLB) the construction contractor to partially fill Hornsby Quarry with NorthConnex spoil. Council has identified that the filling operation will have a major impact on the current use of the existing MTB trails and will necessitate their relocation to enable continued use whilst filling operations occur.

The option put forward by LLB to partially fill the quarry includes a provision for the relocation of the existing MTB trails within the quarry.”

Looks like a step in the right direction.
Interesting option if they do fully relocate the affected trails into the quarry area... Although who knows what they actually mean, when, etc...

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
i love the word relocate. It sounds so simple and easy just pick something up and plonk it elsewhere right?
Although you are talking about a seriously massive project with a seriously massive budget. Rebuilding the bike trail would be petty cash, pretty much... So if they are genuine about it, they could do it very easily

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Was anyone aware that this was going to happen and how could it be given the green light to go ahead
after all the money and work has just been done on the new section ?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Although you are talking about a seriously massive project with a seriously massive budget. Rebuilding the bike trail would be petty cash, pretty much... So if they are genuine about it, they could do it very easily
does this mean though trails would be off limits until dumping in the quarry is finished at they get around to final landforming? Whilst it would be easy to create great trails if you can get the dumping done around the design, it will also be along time before there's anything to show

stickso

Likes Dirt
does this mean though trails would be off limits until dumping in the quarry is finished at they get around to final landforming? Whilst it would be easy to create great trails if you can get the dumping done around the design, it will also be along time before there's anything to show
Good question - it's all about the timing. The details Nick Berman sent to me had been provided by whoever is managing it from the council's side. I'll see if I can get details on when the relocation would happen (if it happens).

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Good question - it's all about the timing. The details Nick Berman sent to me had been provided by whoever is managing it from the council's side. I'll see if I can get details on when the relocation would happen (if it happens).
Yeah, it is. No idea. I'd hope they'd move it FIRST then destroy the existing trail... but that's not the way the world works usually.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Received this today:

"council staff are currently working with the RMS and the contractor to find ways of keeping the MBT functions throughout the quarry filling period.
Regards

Gurdeep Singh
Deputy Mayor | Hornsby Shire Council "

Empty words designed to placate a minority

I'll ride that track so much in the next 6 months I'll be sick of it, won't suck so much when it's gone. At first anyway.

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
A 24hr or similar event should be run before the impending closure. Go out with a Big Bang!
Mr Puppet, aren't you concerned that an event of this nature and high bike traffic would cause large amounts of trail wear/rutting of berms etc? Don't you even care about the trails condition?

I kid I kid, sounds like a perfect send off!

T.3

Likes Dirt
A 24hr event to see the track off would be great.

The trail was partially funded by a rate rise paid by residents.

Thousands of hours have been put in by riders to maintain the trails.

A massive number of laps have been put in by residents and visitors alike. This clearly demonstrates there is a demand for trails.

Hornsby Council have dropped their pants to developers. There is a massive number of units going in between Hornsby and Mount Kuring Gai. As an example close to where I live 6 existing free standing houses will be replaced by over 70 units. Another one will see 45 units replacing 5 free standing houses. The windfall to council in rates will be astronomical.

In my opinion for these reasons council have an obligation to replace or relocate the trails.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Mr Puppet, aren't you concerned that an event of this nature and high bike traffic would cause large amounts of trail wear/rutting of berms etc? Don't you even care about the trails condition?

I kid I kid, sounds like a perfect send off!
They should also schedule it for a very wet weekend. Hahaha I'm only making suggestions based on it actually being destroyed anyway. That said I'd love to see some more events there. The short track events have been a success and the Mtb festival was awesome.
If it's gonna be closed for a few years then it needs one last hurrah before the machines come in. Dirt jumps, a whip off etc etc.

But for now I'll be doing my utmost to make sure it stays open!!!