Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
There was a thousand people there yesterday arvo. If your keys were to be found, they have probably been found.
You could try a sign at the trail head.... hope you had a spare set.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
There was a thousand people there yesterday arvo. If your keys were to be found, they have probably been found.
You could try a sign at the trail head.... hope you had a spare set.
i knew you'd be headed there when i passed you guys on my way home. while i was there, it was only myself and 4 other riders. that was before 430 when i left though. how was it? was this your first ride?

markb84

Likes Dirt
It was extremely busy there, especially for a Wednesday evening.

Trails are riding well but there are definitely a few mud spots that will need to be looked at in the long term to avoid them causing too much erosion.

I still can't get the flow over that bloody rock onto the log ride, I hit it three times yesterday and just couldn't carry it over the rock onto the ladder.

Also there needs to be some signs telling people not to congregate on the track, especially on the beginning of the pump section, it's annoying and dangerous.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I still can't get the flow over that bloody rock onto the log ride, I hit it three times yesterday and just couldn't carry it over the rock onto the ladder.
Make sure you come into the left hand corner after the mushroom with good smooth speed and minimal braking. gear selection is also key, you want to be rolling over the wooden roller with enough speed to roll up the rock without pedalling but if you do have to pedal make sure its a comfortable gear to do it in without changing body position too much. keep that same gear as you take the corner onto the log (it's less to focus on while keeping your eyes on the end of the log which is where you want to make sure you get to) it takes practice. when i first tried it if i didnt make it i'd just go back to the blue. i refused to do the black section unless i made that first bit. then once i made it up the first time my determination got me through the whole thing. i'm still 100% on the log ride - no stacks

alternatively if you dont make it you can get off the bike, make sure no one is coming and cut back to the mushroom and try, try again ;)

markb84

Likes Dirt
Make sure you come into the left hand corner after the mushroom with good smooth speed and minimal braking. gear selection is also key, you want to be rolling over the wooden roller with enough speed to roll up the rock without pedalling but if you do have to pedal make sure its a comfortable gear to do it in without changing body position too much. keep that same gear as you take the corner onto the log (it's less to focus on while keeping your eyes on the end of the log which is where you want to make sure you get to) it takes practice.
The log ride and ladder are fine, I just struggle with the rock, like you say, just a case of keeping on at it. I'll be back again next week, weather permitting.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
i knew you'd be headed there when i passed you guys on my way home. while i was there, it was only myself and 4 other riders. that was before 430 when i left though. how was it? was this your first ride?
2nd time out... its good ! The track is like DH for weenie bikes :)
Be good when they get the extra sections done to add a little bit more length but having it close-ish to home makes it perfect.

Will let you know next time Im heading up if this rain ever stops.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
OMV Track

Congrats to Hornsby Council on building this track.
I've only ridden 3 laps and I think it is brilliant.
When you add a quick lap of the Green? in the flat area, it is about 4kms.
What a great start.

ps: Practice riding up that Rock. Up falls don't hurt as much as down (Gravity wins).

ChopSticks

Banned
Congrats to Hornsby Council on building this track.
I've only ridden 3 laps and I think it is brilliant.
When you add a quick lap of the Green? in the flat area, it is about 4kms.
What a great start.

ps: Practice riding up that Rock. Up falls don't hurt as much as down (Gravity wins).
i hope you didnt do those 3 laps in this weather........

mtboer

Likes Dirt
OMV 3 Laps

i hope you didnt do those 3 laps in this weather........
Rode 3 laps back on 10th February. Really good hot day ,lots of riders but no traffic issues on Trail.

I live out in the Bush where Wolf Creek Psycho has the BENDI Track.

In this weather you can only ride The Rock Trail & Bendi at Kentlyn. Not a problem with the tracks.
But your drivetrain probably wont like you.

Last edited:

Filthyfrother

Likes Bikes
Anyone got a current status on OMV? Can't get a current trail status anywhere!! Keen to head over there tomorrow if it's good to go..

BT180

Max Pfaff
Hornsby Council set up a Twitter account which will be their formal method of updating the trail status. @HornsbyMBT is the what you need to follow.

The news feed from that account also appears on the Council's website. Keep an eye on NoBMob and the SNORC Facebook page also.