Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Dear Foxpuppet,

As you correctly state, this afternoon 23 children and 4 coaches from KGS utilised the OMV facility. This is the first time many of the boys and their parents had visited OMV and as a result there was some confusion about where was the appropriate place to park. With the appropriate advice to parents, we hope this unsatisfactory situation will be avoided the next time the KGS team visits in October(ish). We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will pass your concern on to our opposite numbers at Barker College.

Regards,

Andrew

hi Andrew,

thanks for your reply. not sure if it was you i spoke to (i was in the white vw van) Like i said before I have nothing against the schools using the trail, on the contrary i'm all for it... more riders getting involved is great for the sport. it's just myself and a lot of other local riders are very passionate about everything running smoothly there as the facility is under a 6 and 12 month review as to it's operation and effect on the neighbourhood.
As it was i saw a group of residents chatting over the fence with filthy looks while the peak of cars were stopped outside the houses today near the fire trail on quarry road. This area is NOT for gathering for group rides. It's much better to get everyone to park at the very end of Quarry road where there is ample space to unload, turnaround etc and get your riders organised down there before heading up to the trails.
There wasn't so much a problem with your group (they were mostly all gathered inside on the fire trail) but the Barker riders were strewn all down the road with kids riding up and down not really looking for cars, even stopping cars from driving down the road and generally not paying attention to where they were (as kids often do) I almost hit one rider while on my bike who decided turn and cut in front of me at the start of the blue crusher run, nearly resulting in both of us coming off our bikes. A little Trail etiquette will go along way, just simple things like not gathering across trail entrances while waiting on teachers/coaches or other riders etc.
I know the signage is not that great, hopefully the council can rectify this soon (i'll be forwarding my thoughts on what occurred onto them to see if they can come up with some better signage ideas)
it would be great if you could pass on this info to Barker and any of the other schools in the area you know that have MTB programs. hopefully then we can avoid the kind of stuff that was going on this afternoon with the traffic.
Other than that, hope you guys enjoyed the trails, they are awesome and provide a really fun mix for training on. plenty of your kids looked like decent riders too, so hopefully this helps them when racing.

again thanks for your reply.

Banjo

Dear Foxpuppet,

Rest assured that the substance of your message has reached Barker and that steps will be taken to address some of your concerns. I echo your call for better signage. As it was our first time there, many were unaware of the large parking area at the end of Quarry Rd. We will use this area in the future for parking and briefings. Of course this will increase the incidence of bikes on the road as they access the trails - you can't have it both ways! For what its worth, nearly all of the parking you've identified (and in your photo) is legal parking - ie outside the "no stopping" signs. If this is undesireable to the residents, they can hardly blame the drivers/riders.

We'd like to make it compulsory for all parents to drive nice utes or (vw vans) but its not really possible so you'll have to learn to cope with "soccer mum wagons".

Its pretty much impossible for 20 people with cars and bikes to gather for a ride and not have some kind of an impact or get in someone's way. But it doesn't happen every day. The schools groups you've complained about are unlikely to visit OMV more than 3 times a year (each) so don't expect this to be a common problem. All the Barker riders have been encouraged to contact Hornsby Council to express their opinions on the trails (universally positive). Hopefully this will outweigh any complaints.

Next time you feel the need to vent on a public forum, perhaps you should consider that these school MTB programs are driven by people who are passionate about providing opportunities for kids to ride their bikes. These teachers and coaches have navigated a minefield of notes sent home, red tape and risk assessments. Parents universally make all kinds of sacrifices and regular, thankless shuttle missions to get their kids on the trail. All concerned are well meaning. No-one deserves to be the subject of emotive, inflammatory ranting. I wonder if you ever considered posting a comment of support for these kinds of programs or contacting the schools to say something positive.

ChopSticks

Banned
Dear Foxpuppet,

Rest assured that the substance of your message has reached Barker and that steps will be taken to address some of your concerns. I echo your call for better signage. As it was our first time there, many were unaware of the large parking area at the end of Quarry Rd. We will use this area in the future for parking and briefings. Of course this will increase the incidence of bikes on the road as they access the trails - you can't have it both ways! For what its worth, nearly all of the parking you've identified (and in your photo) is legal parking - ie outside the "no stopping" signs. If this is undesireable to the residents, they can hardly blame the drivers/riders.

We'd like to make it compulsory for all parents to drive nice utes or (vw vans) but its not really possible so you'll have to learn to cope with "soccer mum wagons".

Its pretty much impossible for 20 people with cars and bikes to gather for a ride and not have some kind of an impact or get in someone's way. But it doesn't happen every day. The schools groups you've complained about are unlikely to visit OMV more than 3 times a year (each) so don't expect this to be a common problem. All the Barker riders have been encouraged to contact Hornsby Council to express their opinions on the trails (universally positive). Hopefully this will outweigh any complaints.

Next time you feel the need to vent on a public forum, perhaps you should consider that these school MTB programs are driven by people who are passionate about providing opportunities for kids to ride their bikes. These teachers and coaches have navigated a minefield of notes sent home, red tape and risk assessments. Parents universally make all kinds of sacrifices and regular, thankless shuttle missions to get their kids on the trail. All concerned are well meaning. No-one deserves to be the subject of emotive, inflammatory ranting. I wonder if you ever considered posting a comment of support for these kinds of programs or contacting the schools to say something positive.

I am pretty sure Foxpuppet echoed his positive support for kids/people to use this new facility and encouragement for 'getting into the sport' in his last post. So he has said plenty of positive things.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with foxpuppet voicing his concern for the 2 instances he witnessed, simply because this facility is under 6/12 month review from HSC (as he mentioned), from which other councils will base potential new projects on... = new and more trials in Sydney. He simply stated what he saw and what his concerns are.

I have no doubt the red tape and paper work associated with getting those kids onto the trail would have been a pain in the arse....but maybe you should have spent abit longer and informed parents of appropriate drop off zones either down the end of Quarry Road or on Dural St~....the kids are on bikes......its not like that have to walk 10km's to the trail head......

edit: I was there on Sunday morning, where I witnessed more people present than that of the opening day, where there was definitely more than 20 people with their cars.....but I saw no such issues with cyclists off loading bikes/ riding and causing impacts nor get in others ways........ SO IT IS POSSIBLE.*

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Dear Foxpuppet

Rest assured that the substance of your message has reached Barker and that steps will be taken to address some of your concerns.
Thats great news, but if i had not brought it up would this have happened?

I echo your call for better signage.
This is what im going to make contact with HSC about. there are signs there indicating where riders should park ie: at the end of quarry rd. but they are not obvious like the no stopping zones. This area is normally parked out by Joe Public, which is why parking at the end is far better... ample room for about 50+ cars (Parking nose in) and plenty of space to put bikes and riders while organising them.

As it was our first time there, many were unaware of the large parking area at the end of Quarry Rd. We will use this area in the future for parking and briefings.
again this is great news but could have been done in the first instance had someone from the school contacted the council before using this facility for a large school group. I'm not being emotive or rude on this, my wife is a school teacher and when i was telling her about it after last weeks incident this was the first thing she said. maybe the excitement of hitting the trail for the first time was interfering, but i would have thought it was a priority. any school run event has due processes in place, this is just the same.

Of course this will increase the incidence of bikes on the road as they access the trails - you can't have it both ways!
That's fine, once they are organised into groups with teachers/coaches supervision they are going to be riding single file or 2 abreast up the road as the road rules allow, not sitting on bikes across the roadway having a chat or doing skids, mono's etc in between each other and the cars. it's kids on bikes heck even adults do this but in a larger group it's not a good look in front of the residences.

For what its worth, nearly all of the parking you've identified (and in your photo) is legal parking - ie outside the "no stopping" signs. If this is undesireable to the residents, they can hardly blame the drivers/riders.
no that's true, but look at the pic following this, this lady/parent/teacher? was parked in front of the blue crusher run entrance in the no stopping zone for at least 45 minutes and for some of that time had her tailgate open at head height. this is I almost collided with a rider as he rode down the road, i went to go into the blue believing he would go past behind me as i crossed, only for him to duck between myself and her car then come to a full stop bacause another of his mates was stopped on the left of the entrance leaving him no where to go. i almost endo'ed into him. no harm done but it just highlights little things being ignored can have consequences.

this was a a bit of generalisation to give folks the idea of the size of the vehicles and how bad it looked when turning into quarry rd

Its pretty much impossible for 20 people with cars and bikes to gather for a ride and not have some kind of an impact or get in someone's way. But it doesn't happen every day. The schools groups you've complained about are unlikely to visit OMV more than 3 times a year (each) so don't expect this to be a common problem.
Again i have nothing against the school groups being there, i hope they can get more use out of it, the more riders using the trail, hopefully the more that will turn up when it comes to maintenance of the existing trail and construction of further stages (assuming we get to that with the 6/12 month review)

All the Barker riders have been encouraged to contact Hornsby Council to express their opinions on the trails (universally positive). Hopefully this will outweigh any complaints.
fantastic, positive feedback is what we need and also the more people on the case over signage the better, hopefully the council can respond asap.

Next time you feel the need to vent on a public forum perhaps you should consider that these school MTB programs are driven by people who are passionate about providing opportunities for kids to ride their bikes. These teachers and coaches have navigated a minefield of notes sent home, red tape and risk assessments.
I don't think i was out of line with what i said at all, just described it as it was. i was happy to let it slide last thursday, perhaps i should have just gone up to the teachers at that time. but when i saw it again on tuesday i couldn't stand by, i went straight to one of the teachers from knox to explain about the parking as i have done numerous times to other riders who show up and dont know where to go etc (cant count how many laps i have done there showing new OMV riders around the trail) This facility is FOR EVERYONE and it would be a shame to see it not around for years to come if the first year or is marred by clashes with the residents. they are the ones who see everything, so while riders/groups may think single bad events are of little consequence, we don't know if old Mrs Smith* names have been changed ;) who lives opposite has a little notepad out taking notes of stuff going on or even taking pics.

Parents universally make all kinds of sacrifices and regular, thankless shuttle missions to get their kids on the trail. All concerned are well meaning.
I don't have kids but as i mentioned before my wife's a teacher so i know what goes on. Had they been fully aware of the parking scenario i think it would have been much smoother for you all, but that's been taken care of now so thank you!

No-one deserves to be the subject of emotive, inflammatory ranting.
Again i dont feel like what i said was emotive, inflammatory... it might have been ranting, but the fact that you guys have responded shows that what i said was right and now positive action is taking place.

I wonder if you ever considered posting a comment of support for these kinds of programs or contacting the schools to say something positive.
Like i said before i don't have kids yet, but i get involved at my wife's school all the time, helping out with logistics in my nice van, coaching the snowboard team for interschools (first time last year for a small public school team) course marshalling at interschools for a week... i'm not saying that i'm some sort of hero for that, just i get involved. advocacy for this trail has been a passion of mine as well as volunteering for construction/maintenace when i could. Just give me a list of all the schools you know who will use the facility and i'll go out of my way to give them a run down on what to do when visiting OMV.

Thanks for your reply... whoever this is

Banjo

This is the Car mentioned above. At the time of this pic most riders were off the road, but prior to this they had been blocking the road for a few minutes, a car would come they would slowly move away then go straight back to the middle of the road again. it's the little things we have to be on top of.

and before anyone says it... yes that is my van parked there. I don't park along the road anymore since that thursday but down near the crusher plant.... you gotta practice what you preach.

now enough of this... lets go shred some trail together ;)

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
Fuck that was a long read!

End of the day... Had it not been for Banjo's so called 'emotive and inflammatory rant' no actions wouldve been taken

So even if it was indeed a One.... Then so be it

markb84

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, how well are the trails draining? I was hopign to get up there this Saturday but it looks from the forecast as though Friday and Saturday will be providing some serious rainfall, if it clears up Sunday as predicted do you reckon the trails will be ridable/open or do they take a couple of days to propoerly dry out?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Hey guys, how well are the trails draining? I was hopign to get up there this Saturday but it looks from the forecast as though Friday and Saturday will be providing some serious rainfall, if it clears up Sunday as predicted do you reckon the trails will be ridable/open or do they take a couple of days to propoerly dry out?
probably best to see what happens, it does drain well, but the volume of rainfall forecast would lend itself to playing it safe and waiting until it dries up. it rides really well when the soil is damp and tacky but there are a few spots that the subsoil water keeps coming out even a few days after rain and they seem to get pretty muddy but no puddles or anything like that. the Synergy Boys know their stuff!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Fuck that was a long read!

End of the day... Had it not been for Banjo's so called 'emotive and inflammatory rant' no actions wouldve been taken

So even if it was indeed a One.... Then so be it
hahah I left no stone unturned ;) going to pick up my new wheelset right now so i'll be riding down here from around 5-530 until 730 or so.

ChopSticks

Banned
Wait for me

Ill be down there at around 6:15

What wheels are you getting?!?!?

Should have sold you my spare set of hope/flows

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Any word on the go/no go decision for night riding at OMV? Seems it would be a good way to avoid the crowds.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Any word on the go/no go decision for night riding at OMV? Seems it would be a good way to avoid the crowds.
Not completely clear on the reason but It would be a safe bet to say it was one of the ways council appeased the locals. You can ride daylight hours which right now means up until 8pm. I've ridden once that late and it was nice although getting hard to see under the trees. It would be a nice trail to night ride though so maybe further down the line we might see this avenue discussed.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Yeah, I figured it would be something to do with the neighbouring residents. I can understand the potential road blocks, so I'll just wait and see.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well there are some advantages to not getting out on the mountain bike all that often now days, and being a bit out of the loop: things like OMV creep up on you. New mountain bike trail in Sydney you say? News to me.

Anyway, had the day off work today, I had stumbled across this thread, so I went to check it out. I am highly impressed. Very well designed and built trail, one of the best I have ridden, and it sets a really good standard. Well done to all involved.

Hopefully I can ride with some Farkers (sorry, Rotorburners) some time. It has been too long.

Cheers,
Carlin

ChopSticks

Banned
Awesome ride Banjo

Was good to just jump back on a bike and ppedal really looking forward to those photos :D

Sorry my tire gave way and we had to walk back!!

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well there are some advantages to not getting out on the mountain bike all that often now days, and being a bit out of the loop: things like OMV creep up on you. New mountain bike trail in Sydney you say? News to me.

Anyway, had the day off work today, I had stumbled across this thread, so I went to check it out. I am highly impressed. Very well designed and built trail, one of the best I have ridden, and it sets a really good standard. Well done to all involved.

Hopefully I can ride with some Farkers (sorry, Rotorburners) some time. It has been too long.

Cheers,
Carlin
Crikey mate it's been a thousand years, let me know if you're heading over this way again.