Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

T.3

Likes Dirt
Yes can definetly see how they would be confused, so much room for interpretation there.

I love people saying I thought it was only the top section shut not the bottom. News flash water flows down hill.

crosser

Likes Dirt
I agree that something needs to be done about the signage. Gates have been mentioned, they won't stop people getting around them but at least they won't be kicked into the bush like what's been happening now. And with a dirty big ALL TRAILS CLOSED sign fastened to it, it might stop the majority of people who are pleading ignorance.

A decent sized sign near the fire road gate, gates on the entrance to the loop above the road and one on the blue entrance near the trailhead signage should be sufficient. The bottom of the valley shouldn't need any signage if the top is adequate. The council more than likely don't want to have to pay someone to walk down everytime and set up signs on every section of trail.

If people still go in after that.... Then fine them, run a sting with rangers. Put all or a percentage of any fines back into trail maintenance or have the option for people to pay off the fine in trail work time at the build/maintenance days.

Sent by courier pigeon
All good ideas.

I think even just a big ALL TRAILS CLOSED sign on the fire road gate on Quarry Road and at the TAFE end would be sufficient (in addition to the fairly unambiguous strip of bright orange storm fencing currently in place at the main trailhead. These three points of entry are all easily accessible by car and it wouldn't take someone much time at all to set them up.

ChopSticks

Banned
council should invest in one ( or more) of those wild life motion cameras.... hidden in trees/ road.

activated on closed trail days to capture people arriving/unloading thier bikes

then uploading them/posting them on a 'Name and Shame' board next to the trail head board :)

my02

Likes Dirt
From a FB group:

"Had an interesting chat with a mate that works for npws today(fellow rider too) he was tellin me about how they have caught onto and are loving strava, the complete fuck heads that rode Hornsby when it was closed the other day were not only dumb enough to ignore the closed signs the fucktards were also dumb enough to strava their ride haha they've been sent warnings, kinda wish they got something a bit more significant but still, just thought I'd share it even though it should be common sense think what your doing before you strava illegal trails, your leaving a trace of exactly where and when you were there and obviously what you were doing, just a thought provoked for everyone"

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll play devils advocate and say that people may not necessarily know and/or understand when the trail is 'closed'!

I know the current trail status on the Hornsby Shire Council isn't updated regularly - I suggest this needs to be done daily.

I'm sure some clear signage (i.e. Trail is Open/Closed) at the trail entrances along the main road would be beneficial. In times of heavy rain surely a representative from Council could go down and adjust the trail status sign.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know the current trail status on the Hornsby Shire Council isn't updated regularly - I suggest this needs to be done daily.

I'm sure some clear signage (i.e. Trail is Open/Closed) at the trail entrances along the main road would be beneficial. In times of heavy rain surely a representative from Council could go down and adjust the trail status sign.

I totally agree!

OMV and Manly Dam need daily updates on facebook and twitter when its closed.

They need to help us help them. Sometimes I have been away for a few weeks and come back wanting a ride. If OMV has been closed for a week or two I have to trawl back through post after to post to find the status.

It needs to be a lot easier for riders to find out whats going on!

They also need to be more consistent when they shut it down and reopen it!

jrewing

Eats Squid
The only excuse for not knowing the trails are closed is not checking online AND there being no signage or removed signage.

The checking online part is not hard. Go to http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/my-lifestyle/sports-and-recreation/cycling/hornsby-mountain-bike-trail or https://twitter.com/HornsbyMBT. The top post is the most recent and the current status until updated. 'Not being on twitter' is not an excuse either, they're just webpages.
So is it open or closed?.... Net says tomorrow days ago. I'd assume its open and if I got there and the signs where tossed in the bush I'd be riding.

Shtark

Squid
Yep, "WILL be open tomorrow" is pretty definite to me. Yes, it would be nice to have a confirmation after that one but the vast majority of their updates have been black and white - open or closed.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just received the following email from SNORC (for the benefit of the people not on the email list):-

"Stage 2 Trail Opening on 22/6 has been Postponed Until Further Notice.

Following the cancellation of the original opening of the mtb trails, a number of riders ripped down the barrier and trashed the soft clay sections. These had just been repaired and hardened. Unfortunately the sections had not firmed up and so the damage was pretty bad. Council/SNORC hasn't been able to repair the damage as yet and so Council have postponed the official opening indefinately. Stage 2 will be open to riders once it dries out. We will keep you posted re a new date for the official opening event in the future.

Next maintenance day - 2PM 5th July

Remember 2PM for the next maintenance day. We have received a lot of comments back from you guys about stage 2. We agree and believe that stage 2 needs fine tuning. The flow could be better in parts, jumps in better locations and better drainage. We don't have the funding to pay someone to improve it but we hope to work on it bit by bit. We might tackle some of the stage 2 weak points during the next maintenance day. Please come along even it its just for an hour. We meet at 2PM at the trail head on Quarry Road.

AND IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO HELPED TRASH IT IN THE WET, TELL THEM TO COME ALONG AND LEND A HAND! :)"

I'd encourage everyone to attend a build day at least once if they can spare the time, it's a good feeling to put something back into the track! :)

Shtark

Squid
I'd encourage everyone to attend a build day at least once if they can spare the time, it's a good feeling to put something back into the track! :)
Couldn't agree more. And it'll help you ride the track better too, looking at it on foot and slowly.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
I hope those sensible people at City Bike Depot who are running a demo day at OMV this weekend will do the right thing by the track and ensure that no demo riders venture on to the closed stage 2 trails.

BTW they still have a few spots left on their priority booking as of yesterday.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
It spat a few drops over about 10 minutes as we drove from Berowra to Hornsby just now. It's a bit cold outside, track condition - no idea.

ChopSticks

Banned
Top was open
and so was the bottom,
did the back loop (with the high berms)
did 2 corners and I thought it would be safer to walk back, so I did
not sure how wet it out be in the depths of the forest down there LOL

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Anyone know the current conditions? Any sections closed. The recent updates mention nothing about stage2 being open again but I've seen recently shot video with riders on track down there.

Are there still closed signs up on any sections?