Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Had a fun ride at OMV today, decided to have a look at the quarry before they fill it, and scope for future possibilities if they do shut parts or all of it.
Had a fun ride of a little section that showed on Strava as proposed lower loop, looked like some of the OG trails from before stage 1 started. Off camber, rooty, drops and some delicious berms that had so much leaf litter on them you started 2 wheel drifting the moment you started to tip the bike in.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know whether it was necessary to mow/cut plants alongside the trail to the extent of what was recently done? Throughout the whole new section, plants and grasses alongside the trail extending about 80 cm from each side of the trail have been cut to the ground. I realize that they probably would have grown significantly while the trail was closed, and would probably needed to have been trimmed, but nothing within arms reach of the trail is left.
One reason I liked that section so much is that it had really grown in nicely, it was lush and green and plants brushed your arms and legs all the time. I just rode it and didn't have a single thing brush against me. It feels like a road.

styler

Likes Dirt
Sunday 24th riding OMV

Twitter feed is telling me that OMV is open tomorrow when wylde and mount annan are closed. Has anyone scoped out hornsby to believe this. Do you think the whole track will be open?

rmvvwls

Likes Bikes
Twitter feed is telling me that OMV is open tomorrow when wylde and mount annan are closed. Has anyone scoped out hornsby to believe this. Do you think the whole track will be open?
Maybe not Lava flow, it's always goopy for a while after rain. The top sections dry pretty quickly, they're a sandy base. I'm definitely hoping to get there straight after work, around 4.30 if anyone wants a quick session before the sun goes down.

T.3

Likes Dirt
So in summary this was floated as the quarry being filled, rate payers kick in a few million and get a park for everyone to enjoy.

Now it seems the tunnel spoil will only 1/3 fill it, the council will move around soil for years to fill it maybe another third and then who knows what.

What started as quite detailed and solid now seems very vague.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
They knew from the Outset the tunnel spoil would not be enough. I'm pretty sure it was one of the first points mentioned when the proposal was originally put forward.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/projects/sydney-north/hornsby-quarry/index.html

bit more timeline info for works in the quarry. Best get in there for a ride before July - 4 months closure from then minimum, and some trails will not be there or the same ever again.

June 2016: Start Bridge Road work
July 2016: Site establishment Old Mans Valley including the establishment of five metre noise mounds
September 2016: Delivery of plant equipment to site for Old Man Valley and quarry bottom
October 2016: Start of spoil haulage for up to 28 months duration
End 2018: Complete quarry filling and site demobilisation.

[video=vimeo;167681464]https://vimeo.com/167681464[/video]

Last edited:

kooga

Likes Bikes
Couple of questions regarding OMV. I have recently started working in Dural, and drove to ride OMV the other day was great fun, but the drive was a PITA. I read about Quarry Rd, but all post are from 2-3 years ago and talk about the fire rd closing because of the rifle range? Is it able to be ridden? Also are there any tracks dural side worth checking out?

Fuck those obese gun toting numpts

I thought 'twas just benowie walking track that was being closed so these fat fucks could engage in the most pointless activity in the history stupidity.

Quarry road is a mad bomb run.

Fuck Lend Lease too.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Fuck those obese gun toting numpts

I thought 'twas just benowie walking track that was being closed so these fat fucks could engage in the most pointless activity in the history stupidity.

Quarry road is a mad bomb run.

Fuck Lend Lease too.
hahaha, don't hold back.....tell us what you really think...
i actually sympathise with you as the trail builders out at Mill Creek (Menai) have been through the same shit with
the gun toting inbred minority out this way

gregb

Likes Dirt
What really shits me about the rifle range/close the trail thing is that Hornsby rifle range ahs been operating for over 100 years. In that time something like zero fucking injuries, incidents etc due to rifle range activities. Meanwhile ther have been several people snuff it after f**king up a jump into fishponds waterhole and an unknown number of mountain bikers bin it and break ribs/collar bones etc then some runner c##ts twistig ankles or getting heat stress.

What ever happened to a realistic risk assesment?

Nobmob states it is closed, sort of

http://nobmob.com/node/47906

If these fat fucks can't aim properly, most likely a result of too much cheeseburger grease on their pudgy fingers or the inability for their arms to reach around their grotesque torsos, and contain the danger that this activity presents to normal people then there is a whole country where they'd fit right in.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Nobmob states it is closed, sort of

http://nobmob.com/node/47906

If these fat fucks can't aim properly, most likely a result of too much cheeseburger grease on their pudgy fingers or the inability for their arms to reach around their grotesque torsos, and contain the danger that this activity presents to normal people then there is a whole country where they'd fit right in.

I take it from these comments it is a no go then?
you can ride it but only outside of gun range hours.... that's pretty early and late in the day. pretty sure TORC still runs group rides through there.

What really shits me about the rifle range/close the trail thing is that Hornsby rifle range ahs been operating for over 100 years. In that time something like zero fucking injuries, incidents etc due to rifle range activities. Meanwhile ther have been several people snuff it after f**king up a jump into fishponds waterhole and an unknown number of mountain bikers bin it and break ribs/collar bones etc then some runner c##ts twistig ankles or getting heat stress.

What ever happened to a realistic risk assesment?
the range has been there since it was farm/bushland.... now it's in the middle of suburbia, probably time it should move to somewhere far away from the precious ears of locals. if i had to live near it, it would drive me insane too.
i know there has been no injuries, but it only takes one.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
As anybody got an update on the status of the OMV trails?
I went for look today and couldn't see any trail work or the new trail head. The council website says it's due to reopen about now.

Any news?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
As anybody got an update on the status of the OMV trails?
I went for look today and couldn't see any trail work or the new trail head. The council website says it's due to reopen about now.

Any news?
Synergy Trails are the builders on the new OMV upgrades, they have been posting fairly frequent updates on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pg/Synergytrails/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1205669819500106
The comments on that link suggest that even they aren't sure of the finish date yet.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Synergy Trails are the builders on the new OMV upgrades, they have been posting fairly frequent updates on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pg/Synergytrails/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1205669819500106
The comments on that link suggest that even they aren't sure of the finish date yet.
Great find, I am enjoying going through their photo build diary and trying to fit the lines to the locations. Really exciting to see the trails taking shape! Many moons ago when I was still in uni I built some short push DH trails down the back of Hornsby pool - you used to be able to see mouldered jumps from the new quarry trails. It does seem as if the builders have taken the opportunity to really push the envelope with the changes to try and get maximum usage out of limited space.

When I asked council a couple of months ago, they estimated "some sections" would be open by Christmas. I note their website now says "early 2017". Hopefully this means one month or so and not first quarter or other such weasel words.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Agree the Synergy re do looks first class. Lot of people sweating on the reopening i reckon.