Oil catch can

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've been told after my service yesterday that my 2.0L CRDI car needs an oil catch can as oil is blowing through the intercooler. Anyone running one and what is better? Replaceable paper style filter, mesh? Can anyone recommend a can that won't break the bank?

Minlak

custom titis
https://www.berrimadiesel.com/ check out their facebook page

These guys only use and recommend the Provent catch cans. I have one fitted and love it. Be careful and only buy from a reputable source I got mine from Western Filters as above. The ones you see on ebay substantially cheaper are knock offs and don't work.
The bigger picture here also has the car companies in Australia using the wrong weight oils for Australian conditions. oil weight will effect how much blow by you get too.
I drained about 75mm out of my Triton after 3000km driving.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
They're critical equipment also if you have a direct injection petrol engine. Helps prevent carbon build up on the back of inlet valves that port injection washes clean...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
They're critical equipment also if you have a direct injection petrol engine. Helps prevent carbon build up on the back of inlet valves that port injection washes clean...
Pull down pretty much anything with a lot of km, carbon everywhere

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Pull down pretty much anything with a lot of km, carbon everywhere
Yep. Mate bought a 1.6 GDI Hyundai recently, am in the process of getting one for him and installing. His car has 25K kms on it so hopefully we can at least delay the day when it goes in for the walnut shell treatment!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sounds like there's excess blowby in the engine, if MainRoads picks you up with a catch can they can issue you an infringement notice. You shouldn't really need one on a standard car, if there's that much oil breathing through the engine then most likely your piston rings are gone or they're using poor quality oil.

DMan

Sounds like there's excess blowby in the engine, if MainRoads picks you up with a catch can they can issue you an infringement notice. You shouldn't really need one on a standard car, if there's that much oil breathing through the engine then most likely your piston rings are gone or they're using poor quality oil.
It's not illegal to fit an catch can if it's self contained as far as I understand. But it's not that bad a leak. I understand it's a common thing in CRDI engines due to the way they recirculate the gases with the emision gear??? The car doesn't smoke or use oil. I run a synthetic oil. I'm dropping into a holden workshop on Friday to get a second opinion anyway.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's not illegal to fit an catch can if it's self contained as far as I understand. But it's not that bad a leak. I understand it's a common thing in CRDI engines due to the way they recirculate the gases with the emision gear??? The car doesn't smoke or use oil. I run a synthetic oil. I'm dropping into a holden workshop on Friday to get a second opinion anyway.
Catch cans that vent engine fumes to atmosphere are illegal, they are the ones that work the best. If it's that normally why don't they fit them from factory then?

(edit) It's a cheap and easy fix to a badly designed engine.
oilcatchcan_s-2.jpg

DMan

Catch cans that vent engine fumes to atmosphere are illegal, they are the ones that work the best. If it's that normally why don't they fit them from factory then?

(edit) It's a cheap and easy fix to a badly designed engine.
View attachment 344155
That's my question exactly!! Why not fit them factory?? I don't want to spend $600 for something I don't really need.... I'll see what Holden says.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's my question exactly!! Why not fit them factory?? I don't want to spend $600 for something I don't really need.... I'll see what Holden says.
Is it still under warranty ? I wouldn't wear it if it is but a little bit of oil passing isn't uncommon,

It's common in large amounts on old and worn engines or where the engine has forced air induction with loads or air pressure, like on a race car application.

DMan

Is it still under warranty ? I wouldn't wear it if it is but a little bit of oil passing isn't uncommon,

It's common in large amounts on old and worn engines or where the engine has forced air induction with loads or air pressure, like on a race car application.
No, it's out of warranty. 130K on the clock. Apparently there wasn't oil there last service is what concerns me is all. Or wasn't noticed....

Flow-Rider

Burner
No, it's out of warranty. 130K on the clock. Apparently there wasn't oil there last service is what concerns me is all. Or wasn't noticed....
(Warranty )Arrrh! That's a bit of bad luck.
Unless it's broken a ' ring land ' on the piston or a piston ring itself has broken which I doubt on an engine with 130k, I don't think it will occur between services from my experiences. I would not expect a lot to go wrong with an engine at 130kms unless it's had a very hard life.

DMan

(Warranty )Arrrh! That's a bit of bad luck.
Unless it's broken a ' ring land ' on the piston or a piston ring itself has broken which I doubt on an engine with 130k, I don't think it will occur between services from my experiences. I would not expect a lot to go wrong with an engine at 130kms unless it's had a very hard life.
I've had it for 70K and it was regularly serviced before me so I'm not concerned. The motor is strong and there's no smoke or excessive oil burned that I've noticed.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Some DI engines are now being fitted with an oil separator system in the PVC circuit, its a belated recognition of the valve fouling issue in DI engines. Others are going for a dual injector where there is a port and direct injector so the valves are getting the cleaning effect of fuel.

I know nothing about life with a feral cancerous fucking diesel and if it were me they'd all be pulled up and fined for emissions, but that's another fun rant. :p Either way, a closed catch can is legal as far as I know.

DMan

Some DI engines are now being fitted with an oil separator system in the PVC circuit, its a belated recognition of the valve fouling issue in DI engines. Others are going for a dual injector where there is a port and direct injector so the valves are getting the cleaning effect of fuel.

I know nothing about life with a feral cancerous fucking diesel and if it were me they'd all be pulled up and fined for emissions, but that's another fun rant. :p Either way, a closed catch can is legal as far as I know.
You were doing so well up to your rant too.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Lol :) Just acknowledging there might be differences in the technical subtleties of catch cans with cancer mobiles as opposed to their use on (less cancerous) DI petrols.