Oil weight

zac

Likes Dirt
i've got a pair of 98 marzocchi z3s, and as they are prone to slight leakage from time to time it has been suggested i run some heavier oil (i was given this advice by one person who knows the fork inside out, and another who services motorbike forks). does anyone know if/where i can get oil heavier than 20wt? the motorbike dude suggested 50 wt. harley oil, but i don't know where to get it. any help would be appreciated.

naz

Criminally Inane
from what i know if ur forks are leaky running higher visc... oil will just make them leak more because there will be more pressure internally?
or are u continually bottoming the fork,
or even heavier springs...
ior why not experiment, try 20wt then 25 30 n so on....

Rik

logged out
WTF! From experience, a Bomber will blow its seals once you go heavier than 20wt... this is insane.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went from 5wt oil to 10 weight and it made a huge difference.
I cant even imagine what 50wt would feel like

spot on. 50wt is hardcore. 15-20wt would be the max you'd run. underneath your oil seal there is a small circular spring. If you still have dramas with leakage after replacing the seals go to your friendly local seal shop and ask the dudo for a pair of oil seals that have an inner diameter of about 2 to 3 mm less than your zokes (i think the zokes run 30mm legs so maybe 27 or 28mm inner diameter), then just swap the two. this will cause the seals to be a little tighter. alternatively, ask the dude at the seal shop if he has a good double or triple lip seal in the same measurements as your old ones.

cheers