QLD old 8 speed stuff

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Item: 8 Speed cassette, chain, chainring
Price range/Willing to Pay: Cheap/free
Extra Info: Gifting an old bike to someone and the drivetrain is nearly dead. Thought I would ask in case someone has something laying around.

moorey

call me Mia
Chainring isn’t 8sp crucial (104 bcd? Just the middle ring?), and a 9sp chain is fine. I’ll check the box for a cassette, but don’t think I have one any more.

moorey

call me Mia
Assuming you’re rocking 8sp shimmy derailleur, it will work as a 9sp if you get a 9sp shifter. I can gift you a 9sp cassette and chain, plus ring if right BCD. if you can find a 9sp shifter, hey presto, you’re rocking 9sp.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Moorey. The middle ring is stuffed and I will have a spare soon which should work. There's also a bicycle recycle place here in Brissy I think I will hit up.

moorey

call me Mia
I have plenty of front rings. Most new. Put up a WTB for a shifter. I’m all out of 9sp Shimano sorry. The rest is on me.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually you got me thinking, will 10 speed work on this? Derailleur is Deore LX M570.

If yes then I will have an old cassette and chain soon and just need shifters and front chainrings.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Hey dude, I didn't read mooreys posts properly because I didn't feel like it, but I have an 8sp cassette/shifter/derailleur/chain I can give you if what he's offering isn't quite the complete package.

(Seriously, mooreys posts looked too much like math for this time of the morning)

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Hey dude, I didn't read mooreys posts properly because I didn't feel like it, but I have an 8sp cassette/shifter/derailleur/chain I can give you if what he's offering isn't quite the complete package.

(Seriously, mooreys posts looked too much like math for this time of the morning)

Nice one Dale.

Mine is there if needed, but this looks like a good, simple option.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a new 8spd cassette but am away for work atm. From memory it's an HG-70, 12-28, can confirm in about two weeks time. Yours for the cost of postage if you want

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Sweet! Is that a shimano cassette though?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a new 8spd cassette but am away for work atm. From memory it's an HG-70, 12-28, can confirm in about two weeks time. Yours for the cost of postage if you want
Thanks for the offer. If Planks cassette doesnt work then I will hit you up.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Not sure, and the garage feels really far away right now. But if you're just wondering if it fits the standard 8/9/10sp freehub, then yes it certainly does.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure, and the garage feels really far away right now. But if you're just wondering if it fits the standard 8/9/10sp freehub, then yes it certainly does.

Sweet.
I just realised though I only needed a shifter to go 9 speed to suit mooreys stuff but if I stay 8 speed all I need is the front chainrings, chain, and cassette. You have chain and cassette, any chance you have old chainrings to go along with that?

moorey

call me Mia
Yep 104 for the big and middle ring, and I think 64 for the small.
Correct. You need all 3? I’ve been giving stash away as people need it, and better check what’s left before shooting my mouth off. Definitely big and little, not 100% sure on a ramped 32. If you were going 1x, definitely, but sounds like 3x.
Will check tonight.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Correct. You need all 3? I’ve been giving stash away as people need it, and better check what’s left before shooting my mouth off. Definitely big and little, not 100% sure on a ramped 32. If you were going 1x, definitely, but sounds like 3x.
Will check tonight.
Definitely need middle and big. Small should be fine.