Old Dog, New Tricks?

Exie

Likes Dirt
I'm with you mate. I tend to be pretty right with most other things, buta decent size gap will send me into seizures. I tend to look at them as significantly bigger than they are and find it hard to estimate the right speed to hit them. Always seem to imagine coming up short. 2 things that help me heaps are a) seeing someone hit it, from a couple of angles, usually brings it back from looking huge to looking quite doable (keeping in mind that anything looks simple and easy when it's done right) and b) It's great if you can find a jump that's too big for you but has no consequences if you don't make the distance. Keep hitting it over and over getting faster till you make it. You then usually find that it's much easier to hit it faster (the scary bit) but land it on the landing and it's way smoother, than hitting things slower(not so scary) but having rougher landings. I guess speed is your friend. Can be a nasty arse friend though when it wants to be..:)
I'm so with you! I'll pop off most drops and get small air on the jumps, but ALWAYS take the B-Line around the doubles.

The other bit that ties into this is 6-packs... sure I can roll through them.... but one day I wanna double them up... pop off the first, skip the gap and roll down the second and pop out for the rest etc.

I just have this horrible vision of tagging the back wheel on the hump and getting bucked off. One day though <waves fist at gaps> ....

nevdog

Likes Bikes
age is all in your mind im not old,im will used

FEAR what is it ?
fear -from when i was a young boy your dad would say to you dont use the front brake you mite go over the bars ,so we didnt
fear -that is to far to jump ,so you didnt
fear -that girl is to hot dont ask her out,so i didnt
fear -dh is for young kids ,did you tri it
fuck FEAR man up b lines are for bitches ,you dont no unless you give it a go,all my life i had people say that cant be done that is to hard,every time you do something ,fear it feels awesome,it is like drugs ,YOU CAN
just give it a crack you willnt die,
it is all in your mind

Last edited:

gruntrider651

Likes Dirt
with all these foam pits popping up, not hard to learn some new trick for older riders. although still a little intimidated to take flips back to dirt, hadnt flipped in over a decade, learnt them into foam second time round, decided I had them swee, took them to the box jump. all going good, got a little too cocky, and started to learn doubles, then ran into a scooter kid mid air (halfway through rotation number 2) end result, a mass concuccion and no recollection of what happened, until I was show the footage 2 weeks later, scariest crash ever.

raso

Likes Bikes
I ve recently had my first couple of goes in a foam pit and started landing back flips which Im stoked at being an old dog ( 40 ).Im quietly confident that as soon as I get time to dig and shape a suitable kicker that I will progress to dirt. Didn't think flips would be a trick that i would add to the bag but glad Ive started trying some new stuff:p

Its not about the speed....

Dont let gap jumps deter you at all, its not the speed thats important its the body movement, hit a gap a lil harder n faster than you are comfortable with then suck it up in the air with your arms n legs, this way if your going to come up short you can pre lift again, takes just minor amounts of practice but the balls are always required 1st....

Biggest & best tip I can& will give any one of you, NEVER EVER hesitate or freeze up, there is no escape once you have committed, stay loose n relaxed & let momentum just do its thing...

Im 42 in November & can still hook a decent 10m double, its the best fun you can ever have!!!!