Old GT Talera into a commuter

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Hi all, I am thinking of building my old GT Talera into a SS commuter.

Probably going to have 101 questions during the build, firstly is it actually worth it?

Does anyone know if 700c wheels will fit?

Cheers
Joel

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bike will do it, if you're on bike paths/trails SS ok, on the road it's going to spin out so depends on where you're commuting. distance, route etc.

don't think 700c would fit, so its slicks if on the road, nothing wrong with normal mtb tyres if you have the grunt to push them along.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Probably going to have 101 questions during the build, firstly is it actually worth it?
I rebuilt my old (1992..?) GT avalanche as a SS commuter about 7 years ago and I absolutely love it. It's extremely quick and agile, while still allowing me to jump gutters and occasionally hit a bit of dirt/gravel if it's on the way. I do run slicks (currently schwalbe Kojaks) at 60psi+ so the ride is horrible, but that's also part of its' charm!

I'm running 44/16 and find it pretty good most places. Sure you spin-out on the flat and really steep hills can suck but you'll build a lot of strength.

I've toyed with the idea of putting 700c wheels on it, I think they'd fit, but then I'd have to find brakes to match (I have no disc mounts on the back so run magura HS33 brakes which are friggin amazing) and I'd also probably have to run narrower tyres which I'm not a fan of.

047.jpg

I've moved around Sydney a lot in this time but my commute has always been under 10km so never a real issue. That said, I have done 70km rides on this bike as it is and loved it still.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Nice! That is giving me some ideas for sure.

Is there any decent guides out there for converting to SS? As I really have no idea.. Did a google, does seem info, but as for it's usefulness?

What forks did you put on it?

Cheers
Joel

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Nice! That is giving me some ideas for sure.
Is there any decent guides out there for converting to SS? As I really have no idea.. Did a google, does seem info, but as for it's usefulness?
What forks did you put on it?
I initially did everything very cheaply - used the original chain and cranks (with middle and small chain rings removed) and just bought a surly singulator for chain tension and a cheap SS cog and spacer kit. I did 1000s of kms with that set up. I recently upgraded the cranks to an old XTR set that I had (still using the big ring though) and I'm currently getting away without a tensioner as I've used a half-link chain and it's just the right length (though seems to be stretching pretty quickly).

process is easy:
1. strip off all your old gear cable, shifters and derailleurs and remove your cassette.
2. loosely fit your new SS cog and spacers (something like http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/DMCS1N0SK/title/dmr-single-speed-kit-16t ?). 3. Fit your tensioner (something like http://www.supersports.net.au/products/bikes/gusset/gusset-ss-tensioner-bachelor or I like the surly option http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike...-chain-tensioner/o-halloran-hill/sa/102025256 for it's adjustability and easy of use).
4. finally fit your chain as tight as you can get it.
5. Once you've fitted your chain you can make sure that your chainline is right, adjust as necesary using the spacers either side of your rear cog.
6. Ride and smile!

The forks I have are dreadful! I originally bought some 'suspension corrected' jobbies which were just way too long. The ones currently fitted were on special at a dodgy bike shop I visited when my chain snapped. They're total no-names, steel, heavy, lopsided and horrible but they work well. One day I might upgrade to some nice carbon forks, but I'm not too fussed as these ones do fine.

user name

Likes Dirt
I have a geared mongoose switchback commuter, running slicks (maxxis detonators 1.5") and it all works awesome!

Re 700c wheels i believe you require a brake adapter of sorts to space your brakes further out, from my breif research into the topic i think Mavic used to make one. 700c will fit but your tyres will be need to be smallish to fit.

hope that helps.

JP

Likes Dirt
I have a geared mongoose switchback commuter, running slicks (maxxis detonators 1.5") and it all works awesome!

Re 700c wheels i believe you require a brake adapter of sorts to space your brakes further out, from my breif research into the topic i think Mavic used to make one. 700c will fit but your tyres will be need to be smallish to fit.

hope that helps.
Mavic do make them. I used them on a 26"-700c conversion. They work awesomely. An added bonus is they also act like a brake booster (older guys may remember what they are). If you need a set drop me a PM.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
If it is one of the old chromoly frames and you know any one who can tig just get a disk tab welded on and then fit what ever wheel size you want mine has plenty of room for 700c wheels but here it is mine with 26 cause i have a collection of schwalbe marathon plus tyres to wear out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Hi all, I am thinking of building my old GT Talera into a SS commuter.

Does anyone know if 700c wheels will fit?

Cheers
Joel
I'd looked at a few options a few years ago, gave up as the frame I had ended up (old steel Palomar) with the BB seized with no way out. I did, however, want to fit a more modern fork with 1 1/8" steerer, which also proved more than I wanted to spend. Economically, its probably not worth it.

I'd only consider 700C if they're disc wheels and frame personally. Sure, you can get adaptors, but its certainly easier with braking if you don't have to play around with cantis. Its likely that 700C would fit with slick tyres, but its certainly no guarantee.

Otherwise go as minimal budget as possible for the SS conversion, anything else is just overcapitalising on old gear.