Old guy getting back into it.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Welcome back @Psyentist.

Don't listen to those 'old' clowns on their duallies. 40 is the perfect age for a hardtail
Abso-bloody-lately! Bugger these full squish lounge chairs, that ain’t living.

So welcome back @Psyentist, never too old to hurt yourself on bikes. You’ll have to get out to the Nerang trails sometime, or go to Boomers if you really want to break something.

Thanks for the welcome and all the advice guys, much appreciated!

ForkinGreat, definitely keeping the STP, I love it and it holds great memories. I’m in no rush to go and buy a duel suspension, besides they’re damn expensive! One day though. And yeah, I have noticed that straight steer forks are hard to come by these days. Man, it seems like everything has changed in the last 10 years. I’ve been looking for forks and wheels and 26” rims, straight steerers, 20x110mm front hubs and 135mm rear hubs barely seem to exist anymore. Feels like I’ve been gone 30 years, not 10. Good advice on the protection as well, I went and invested in a new full face helmet after my little bingle.

Moorey, yeah I think I’d be going secondhand when I buy a new duel suspension but like ForkinGreat says, there’s a few dodgy ones out there. You say 26 ain’t dead. It might not be dead but from where I sit it looks like it’s dying. It sucks, I love my bike but it seems very hard to find parts. I’d hate to have to get rid of it because I can’t get parts, we need to start a revival!

CardyGeorge, you’re right, 40 is the perfect age for a hardtail! I’m loving it mate, not that old yet. But like Moorey says, if I was to get another bike it would be duel suspension, change it up a bit, something different.

Pink Poodle, only on weekends. ;)

Nambra, I’m hearing you mate, go hard or go home I reckon. I’ve been keen to go check out the Nerang trails, just down the road from my joint. But I imagine every man and his dog would be out there these days and I don’t want to get in anyone’s way. Where’s Boomers? Local? I’ve never heard of it. Probably be a little while before I do anything too crazy, want to get the feel back first.

So yeah, like I said, been looking for wheels and forks. Going to get a set Manitou Circus Expert forks but the wheels are a bit harder to find. Going to have to buy the parts separately I think. Looking at some Spank Spike Race 33 rims and Dartmoor Reel Pro hubs, they look like they’ll fit my bike and are in my price range. Buggered if I know what spokes I need though, hah.

Thanks again legends! :)

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Thanks for the welcome and all the advice guys, much appreciated!

ForkinGreat, definitely keeping the STP, I love it and it holds great memories. I’m in no rush to go and buy a duel suspension, besides they’re damn expensive! One day though. And yeah, I have noticed that straight steer forks are hard to come by these days. Man, it seems like everything has changed in the last 10 years. I’ve been looking for forks and wheels and 26” rims, straight steerers, 20x110mm front hubs and 135mm rear hubs barely seem to exist anymore. Feels like I’ve been gone 30 years, not 10. Good advice on the protection as well, I went and invested in a new full face helmet after my little bingle.

Moorey, yeah I think I’d be going secondhand when I buy a new duel suspension but like ForkinGreat says, there’s a few dodgy ones out there. You say 26 ain’t dead. It might not be dead but from where I sit it looks like it’s dying. It sucks, I love my bike but it seems very hard to find parts. I’d hate to have to get rid of it because I can’t get parts, we need to start a revival!

CardyGeorge, you’re right, 40 is the perfect age for a hardtail! I’m loving it mate, not that old yet. But like Moorey says, if I was to get another bike it would be duel suspension, change it up a bit, something different.

Pink Poodle, only on weekends. ;)

Nambra, I’m hearing you mate, go hard or go home I reckon. I’ve been keen to go check out the Nerang trails, just down the road from my joint. But I imagine every man and his dog would be out there these days and I don’t want to get in anyone’s way. Where’s Boomers? Local? I’ve never heard of it. Probably be a little while before I do anything too crazy, want to get the feel back first.

So yeah, like I said, been looking for wheels and forks. Going to get a set Manitou Circus Expert forks but the wheels are a bit harder to find. Going to have to buy the parts separately I think. Looking at some Spank Spike Race 33 rims and Dartmoor Reel Pro hubs, they look like they’ll fit my bike and are in my price range. Buggered if I know what spokes I need though, hah.

Thanks again legends! :)
Psy,

Hope hubs. Modular end caps. I have Pro2 EVOs and Pro4 (the current ones). I have non boost spacing on them. The rear can be 135 if you have the quick release caps, or you can make them 12x 142 with the appropriate end caps. You can get a boost (110mm)converter kit for front hub or just have a boost hub at the front. whatever...
Dartmoors will be cheaper but Hopes, Hope go up to 11.....

Cheers ForkinGreat, after doing a bit more research I’ve decided to go with Hope hubs anyway. My main reason for getting new wheels is that I just got a pair of Maxxis minions as the holy rollers that were on it had no grip at all down that trail I went down. The back was fishtailing the whole way down, sketchy as. I’d like to have a set of wheels for both sets of tyres so if I’m just commuting I can put the holy rollers on or if I’m going for a bit of fun I can put the minions on. I’ve heard different hubs can be a little different in width where the disk attaches so I figured I’ll get new hubs for my old wheels too. The Hopes come in 32 and 36 (which I need for current rims) hole whereas the Dartmoors only come in 32 hole. So that settles it. I figured out the spokes I need too. Man, it’s not going to be cheap though, I could probably buy a nice secondhand bike. But it’ll be good to have spare wheels anyway in case I wreck one.

Yeah, definitely keeping this bike Ultra Lord, I love it. Had some good sessions on it when I was younger.

Cheers Nambra, yeah I know Boomerang farm, I should have figured out what Boomers was. Mate was joking about going out there on the weekend actually. Looks rad in that video. I’ll give it a few weeks yet though, hah.