Old school vs new school geometry / riding

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I think @beeb is right on the money when he says new school geo helps to teach the right position. All the things the guy says in the video is stuff you should be doing on ANY bike whether old school or new school geo.
Yeah he does say these are things to do on any bike, but modern geometry means you have to do it and you need to adjust your riding style as you cant get away with the old school way on a modern bike

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought the cornering part of the video was pretty stupid.. 1st method was how to corner when your just cruising along, 2nd was when you want to rail the corner as quick as possible.. What was the point of it? Sam Hill’s bike couldn’t corner pre 2016?

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
How much of the geometry change was to make the bigger wheels perform like the 26" variety? Early 29ers I rode were twitchy and not planted, head angles and seat stays were played with to get better rideability. Slacker ha means more weight can come forward. Dropper posts give more freedom with arse positioning. So are we really talking about innovation or the cure?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I thought the cornering part of the video was pretty stupid.. 1st method was how to corner when your just cruising along, 2nd was when you want to rail the corner as quick as possible.. What was the point of it? Sam Hill’s bike couldn’t corner pre 2016?
The question is whether you can use the second method effectively on a steeper and shorter XC bike.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The question is whether you can use the second method effectively on a steeper and shorter XC bike.
Yes. You should corner like that on every bike on almost every corner if you want to go fast. Case in point, I'm on the older geometry, my mate pointed out how different our stance was in these shots as he's still not habitual about getting the outside foot down.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Yes. You should corner like that on every bike on almost every corner if you want to go fast. Case in point, I'm on the older geometry, my mate pointed out how different our stance was in these shots as he's still not habitual about getting the outside foot down.

View attachment 362148

View attachment 362149
Your mate is smiling and doesn't have an attack face on either, which also affects speed in the corner.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You sure can.. I believe it’s a technique called “cornering properly”..
I lean over my steep 430mm reach xc hardtail and shove it into corners just like my trail bike. It most certainly doesn’t feel as confidence inspiring as newer geo, but it works..

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't get why he would call it an old school riding style, it just looks like a style someone less confident might use.

I grew up riding bowls at the local skate park, staying centered on the bike is just something you had to do, this then carried over onto steep trail features, even on my 90's XC bike. Still had quick release seat, so down it went for the steep stuff.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't get why he would call it an old school riding style, it just looks like a style someone less confident might use.

I grew up riding bowls at the local skate park, staying centered on the bike is just something you had to do, this then carried over onto steep trail features, even on my 90's XC bike. Still had quick release seat, so down it went for the steep stuff.
According to old mate in the video the geo on your trance wouldn’t be considered “modern”.. I reckon your a fair chop better than that fella..