AM On a big ass patrol

<Steven>

Likes Dirt
Sounds like it's gonna be sweet mate. I have the same frame but in a large and have been riding it for a month or so... did a custom build like you and have the same rims but put a 160mm lyrik on it instead. I managed to squeeze a 170mm reverb in but to be honest a 150mm would have been better for all but the steepest techy trails or jump trails/parks, so I reckon 150mm is a good choice.

Can't wait to see it built up!

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
So I've made a little bit of progress.

Got my father in law to help getting the headset cups pressed in using a vice. Wasn't the easiest thing to do but got there in the end!!

Applied the invisiframe stuff with ok result. My technique wasn't the best and I managed to get some air bubbles here and there. Not a huge deal.

Next thing to consider is cutting the steerer. Not sure at this stage how short to do it. The front of the bike seems quite low. Here's a pic of a seat post set to the same height from BB as my other bikes. As you can see there is quite a large drop to the stem.

I'm going to measure the saddle to bar drop on my other bikes then decide from there. It might look crappy with so many spacers but not sure how low I can go and still keep my back happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
it's coming along nicely,as for looks, definitely go for function over over looks,you would rather be comfortable on your bike as a posed to looking like a model:photo::photo::photo::photo::photo:

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
it's coming along nicely,as for looks, definitely go for function over over looks,you would rather be comfortable on your bike as a posed to looking like a model:photo::photo::photo::photo::photo:
For sure. Think I'll just get some more spacers for now and see how it goes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a free moment...lots of spacers is the bigger issue, but you can avoid a 4 inch rise bar as well. Include a:
- get a stem with some rise.
-15-20mm of spacers under stem max. A good chance to throw in some anno, or stay black for stealth. The anno shows you aren't trying to hide the spacers.
- External bottom cup on headset.
- External top cup as well if you like, why not?
- Bar of 2 to 3 inches achieved. Plenty of dj style bars available.

Don't use one of those stupid top caps that doubles as a spacer...they look like a volcano of stupid.

Bike looks like it will be a sweet sweet ride.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Wow that was a comprehensive answer! You should sell your services to chops.

I do have some 8" rise bars on my bmx... maybe I'll put those on it and slam the stem. Different bar diameter I think but why let that ruin a stupid idea??

The internal brake routing scares me a little so might try tackling that next. Probably need to chuck the handle bars on so I can attach the lever.

<Steven>

Likes Dirt
Google image the stem height on other bikes

I google imaged for mine and saw everything was between 10mm - 20mm which was a good starting point to experiment. Then I stood my whole built up bike next to my other bikes a set the bar height exactly the same (from the ground) as each other (then left an extra 10mm of steerer on top of the stem).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wow that was a comprehensive answer! You should sell your services to chops.

I do have some 8" rise bars on my bmx... maybe I'll put those on it and slam the stem. Different bar diameter I think but why let that ruin a stupid idea??

The internal brake routing scares me a little so might try tackling that next. Probably need to chuck the handle bars on so I can attach the lever.

Chops is next level hustle...I've got a stem that will fit your bmx bars in anno red. Yours for post if you promise to run the big bars on your first ride.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Chops is next level hustle...I've got a stem that will fit your bmx bars in anno red. Yours for post if you promise to run the big bars on your first ride.
Hahaha that's a tempting offer! I've actually got an old 90mm raceface stem kicking around somewhere that I know isn't 31.8 (realised after putting it on a bike and trying to fit handlebars) but don't know if it fits bmx bars.

Started on the internal routing today. Trying to go for the thread string through then tape cable to it and pull cable through method.. lets see how it goes...

Got the shifter cable through without using the string method. Then used a gear cable and pulled the string through with that as test.

Still haven't got a dropper organised so that string might be there for some time!

Going to thread the brake through then cut it to length afterwards. Might be tricky bashing the new barb in but I'm sure I'll manage.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
So I've run into a couple of hiccups that probably belong in the fuckwit thread...

Firstly I took too many links out of the chain, then was wondering why the derailleur was looking so whacked. Rotorburn was down and I panics because I couldn't forum post about it!!

And just now I went to align the front brake after it felt a bit weird on a test ride down the hill yesterday when I realised i have the wrong size brake mount!!

Got a 160-203mm mount. Of course I should have got a 180-203mm mount. Hope I haven't fucked the pads and will now need to wait another week before I can ride the thing.

teK--

Eats Squid
What brakes you putting on? If it's Sram then no problem with the barb it screws in. If Shimano or Hope it helps to use yellow cable gripper blocks in vice grip pliers then just tap it in with a hammer by leaning the pliers against something solid like the stem cap (wrap in towel first)

Going to thread the brake through then cut it to length afterwards. Might be tricky bashing the new barb in but I'm sure I'll manage.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
What brakes you putting on? If it's Sram then no problem with the barb it screws in. If Shimano or Hope it helps to use yellow cable gripper blocks in vice grip pliers then just tap it in with a hammer by leaning the pliers against something solid like the stem cap (wrap in towel first)
Putting zees on. I do have the yellow blocks. Took it around to my parents place who have a vice in the shed and got my brother to hold the frame up while I clamped the hose and tapped the barb in! Damn internal routing making things difficult...

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
So this is what it currently looks like!

Just need to cut the steerer and get a dropper post.

Have ridden it mainly around the wombat, with 1 trip to the youies.

Things I like:
- looks sweet!

- rides around the wombat fairly well. Not quick around there of course but still enjoyable to take for a 25-30km spin. Having a 2.5" dhf on the front wouldn't help...

- bobs a surprisingly small amount when in the saddle despite the 35% sag

- handles well up climbs, it's slow but manoeuvres well.

- fun going down! Even on small, short descents it feels great.

- comfortable pedalling position. The seat angle works well for me. Even without a dropper it's easier to get behind the saddle than my pivot due to the seat angle.

- suspension feels good. Haven't really tuned it much yet, just set the sag and a couple of clicks of lsc on the fork. Going down boulder and link track at youies was much better compare to my pivot. Also did travs for the first time and on the odd occasion I was game enough to let off the brakes it felt quite smooth. Man there are a lot of rock on that track

- zee brakes work well and have a good feel to them.

Things I don't like:

- low low bottom bracket! Feels nice cornering but not fun to pedal with. I wouldn't change it though, just takes some readjusting. I actually came off in the first 20m of riding the bike on its maiden voyage due to hitting a root.

- rolls super slow! Due to the tyres, I could have chose something more traily but meh! Chunky tyres look cool and hoping to get to maldon soon and youies more.

- internal routing is a pain. Hard to thread stuff through and then cables rattle.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
So took this out to terrain that would actually do it justice at maldon on the weekend. First time I've been out there.

Did valley, city and the race track then stuck to city the rest of the day as it was my fave.

Awesomely fun day, the bike felt great. Behaved very nicely over the rocks and got around the loose berms handily as well. Lost traction a few time which was a bit scary but it always grabbed again before putting me on the ground.

Did put a hole in the rear tyre that the sealant didn't manage to plug until I got home. There were lots of people with lots of flats. I think a dual ply casing rear would be more appropriate give the the large amount of loose sharp rocks.

golden path

Banned
Great looking bike.

Low BB / long travel can really catch you out.

Still getting used to that on my Stumpy. A track rock and root whacker...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ser those loops at the cable entry points in the frame? Fasten the cable to it with some cable ties. That helps somewhat.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Ser those loops at the cable entry points in the frame? Fasten the cable to it with some cable ties. That helps somewhat.
I have put on cable ties, it has helped a little still rattles a bit though. Didn't really notice all that much weekend think I was more concerned with trying to not hurt myself that worry about noise!