One bike for XC, Enduro & DH?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
This vid brings back some memories of my race days in the 90's when many used to have one bike and race it in all disciplines.

Does anyone have one bike that they use for everything these days like this guy?

moorey

call me Mia
Pretty much use one bike, or a variation of that bike for everything...(have raced the same orange five in club XC races, many enduros, and local DH series....but bikes these days you can, unlike back in the day when we all tried, on 18kg monsters with 5” travel.

Main observation was how shit all those tracks were. Enduro was 4 runs down a grassy hill...left right left right....and 99% sure the DH repeated one of those. XC appeared to have nothing tough in either climbs or descents

Like to see him try it at an event with genuine XC course, a tough enduro, and a proper DH track.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Pretty much use one bike, or a variation of that bike for everything...(have raced the same orange five in club XC races, many enduros, and local DH series....but bikes these days you can, unlike back in the day when we all tried, on 18kg monsters with 5” travel.

Main observation was how shit all those tracks were. Enduro was 4 runs down a grassy hill...left right left right....and 99% sure the DH repeated one of those. XC appeared to have nothing tough in either climbs or descents

Like to see him try it at an event with genuine XC course, a tough enduro, and a proper DH track.
I was more interested in whether it happens on genuine tracks, Sea Otter looked like a snooze fest.

Are you a freak or is it not uncommon to see someone race all disciplines on one bike?

I know people who do XC/enduro or enduro/DH on same bike, but not all 3 personally.

moorey

call me Mia
I was more interested in whether it happens on genuine tracks, Sea Otter looked like a snooze fest.

Are you a freak or is it not uncommon to see someone race all disciplines on one bike?

I know people who do XC/enduro or enduro/DH on same bike, but not all 3 personally.
I only do the occasional XC for fun, prefer the 140mm for enduro, and local DH tracks are more flow than gnarr. That said, took the same bike to 5 day TransNZ with plenty of tough tracks.
I have a DH bike. I have shorter travel bikes. I have proper 160 Enduro bikes.

I don’t do any discipline well, so the bike is irrelevant :D

moorey

call me Mia
I'm still in shock about the 'xc for fun' line. Lycra knicks and all I'm betting.

Who is this man and what has he done with @moorey

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Any ride is better than no ride.

I don’t believe they make Lycra in my unique proportions. Or at least, I hope they don’t.

moorey

call me Mia
Who is this man and what has he done with @moorey
To put your mind at ease, found a pic from last XC series I raced (interwinter 2015 or 16) . Note the baggies, old T-shirt,...and of course a fining cabinet.

Won the series that year. Just sayin.

Incidentally, this exact actual bike used to have boxxers when my mate raced it for DH. Here it is, circa 2003. I’m the one watching.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I don’t believe they make Lycra in my unique proportions. Or at least, I hope they don’t.
Lycra can bend every which way. Makes you like a human sausage. Nothing to worry about there :)

Everything comes into fashion sooner or later.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
To put your mind at ease, found a pic from last XC series I raced (interwinter 2015 or 16) . Note the baggies, old T-shirt,...and of course a fining cabinet.

Won the series that year. Just sayin.

Incidentally, this exact actual bike used to have boxxers when my mate raced it. Here it is, circa 2003. I’m the one watching.
Great shots. Well done on the win in case I didn't mention it before. Refreshing to have the same wheel sizes now too.

XC but not so XC looking. Baggies are great and much more flattering than Lycra knicks on a cold day or any day.

moorey

call me Mia
I might add that the bar was pretty low in B grade, and doing all 4 rounds pretty much guaranteed a podium...but ima not admitting that.
Non blurry pic of the old patriot when it was a DH bike.