One Cycling body to rule them all

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
For myself and the club I am president of, MTBA doesn't do a whole lot for us in Tassie other than insurance for events, a platform to use for race entries and offer the odd 0 level skills instructor course but we are not asking for much more either. I'd be interested to hear if AusCycling will offer any more than that. The cost of a license is a big stumbling block for people just getting into racing and the free trial system works quite well. If the prices go up at least $10 to $20 I can see a lot of people who would just want to do the odd small club event not bother at all.
It's not all about national and international racing, the majority of entrants would be club level racers.
agree'd and casual day race license fee's are a total ripoff, auscycling will do less, the state's appear to be running cycling, cycling vic/nsw--CA has as much money as mtba

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Can't be any less productive than what MTBA are and have been, they do zero for mountain biking in Australia. I have an MTBA license to save on day license fee's and in the back of my mind I know I have some coverage if I have a crash.

Since my early days riding bikes, I've only ever considered MTBA an insurance company. They give you the same benefits as a car insurance company for your car, your house insurance etc etc. In summary, they take your money and give you FUCK ALL.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I’ve got no issues with merging with AusCycling it just the fee increase that I don’t like. It very big rise for juniors, double in one case. I’d be surprised if they do that much extra to make up the difference. If you road ride or bmx I think you save, but not if you only ride/race MTB

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
here are the new proposed prices cycling one prices

win for me, 250 for full mtba/cd/road membership..i can now rock up to a road race & shit stir some roadies who take themselves too seriously...maybe i’ll start a track career also ;)

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I don't get the representation of the outgoing structure, all MTBA members must nominate a local club so why aren't any clubs shown? There is so much that is confusion on that image.
The diagram shows a corporate structure. Both road and bmx have national and state based clubs, each with boards of management and a corporate structure. Within each state there are the community based affiliate clubs.

In mountain bikes...we don't have that. It's just the MTBA at a national level and then all the community based affiliate clubs.

And most of those clubs are affiliated primarily because the MTBA provides insurance, coaching and some event support in a manner that time and resource poor club committee members can access and afford. A club's MTBA affiliation costs are small in the context of the overall costs of actually running a club (given that the club members cover most of it through their licence fees) so it makes good sense from a committee's perspective to be a part of it.

However, we would never (as a club) expect the MTBA to advocate on our behalf at a local or even state level for trail access, MTB development , promotion etc or support us financially if things went awry. That's all on us...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
here are the ne proposed prices cycling one prices

win for me, 250 for full mtba/cd/road membership..i can now rock up to a road race & shit stir some roadies who take themselves too seriously...maybe i’ll start a track career also ;)
Well, shit. I wasn't too concerned about my race licence, but I'm also paying for two under 11. $50 each now, $75 after.

Can't be any less productive than what MTBA are and have been, they do zero for mountain biking in Australia. I have an MTBA license to save on day license fee's and in the back of my mind I know I have some coverage if I have a crash.

Since my early days riding bikes, I've only ever considered MTBA an insurance company. They give you the same benefits as a car insurance company for your car, your house insurance etc etc. In summary, they take your money and give you FUCK ALL.
We did the sums, I'd get less than half of what I'd actually need to survive.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Well, shit. I wasn't too concerned about my race licence, but I'm also paying for two under 11. $50 each now, $75 after.
2 years ago mine were $50, they turned 13 and jumped to $105 + club.

I don't do too many events nowadays and would probably be quids in paying day membership but been a member of AMBC and might as well continue with it.

Back after a 5 year break for the Coomie in a few weeks, done it 11, 12 & 13 but I heard there's a few faster locals these days ;) maybe I should do some training...

Some 'rides' now use MTBA as the insurer, the Melrose FTF needs you to be a member now, or pay event insurance.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The diagram shows a corporate structure. Both road and bmx have national and state based clubs, each with boards of management and a corporate structure. Within each state there are the community based affiliate clubs.

In mountain bikes...we don't have that. It's just the MTBA at a national level and then all the community based affiliate clubs.
Yes, I agree but why not show the community based affiliate clubs that reside under MTBA, they aren't any different to the equivalent BMXA or CA local club? Also surely that diagram would've been a prime opportunity to show how the new structure would simplfy things for those who are currently members of multiple clubs.

However, we would never (as a club) expect the MTBA to advocate on our behalf at a local or even state level for trail access, MTB development , promotion etc or support us financially if things went awry. That's all on us...
Actually as they are our peak representative body that's exactly what I expect, I've just come accept that they won't.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
2 years ago mine were $50, they turned 13 and jumped to $105 + club.
Thankfully our club fees are subsidised by the local Sporting Club.

Back after a 5 year break for the Coomie in a few weeks, done it 11, 12 & 13 but I heard there's a few faster locals these days ;) maybe I should do some training...
Yeah, Nah, training is overrated :p. I'm hoping the bloke who won Melrose Solo 18hr still has some fatigue in his legs. Did you see there's a Rego dinner the night before?

heard of active kids voucher?
While the club is based in NSW, my family is not, and there's nothing on offer in Vic outside of school sport.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah, Nah, training is overrated :p. I'm hoping the bloke who won Melrose Solo 18hr still has some fatigue in his legs. Did you see there's a Rego dinner the night before?
BJ might have recovered by then... but if he's only running at 95%... you never know.

Besides, with the new age structure and it being a point getter for the MTBA Marathon Nat Cup, I have just sneaked in to the 45-54 cat. Way too old to bother you's blokes.

We'll be up on Saturday, Few laps, few beers and eat, ride Sunday.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
While the club is based in NSW, my family is not, and there's nothing on offer in Vic outside of school sport.
haha yeah, forgot people live in other states :)

My take on this whole thing is concerns of the added cost to MTB licences. Might be $10 this year.. but who knows next. I used to have CA, BMX and MTB but those days are gone, I guess if I had those other licenses this looks very attractive. Time will tell..

goobags

Likes Dirt
Just going to dig this one out. Got an email today announcing it is starting tomorrow. I think it’s more expensive but can’t find the breakdown from my MTBA membership and the MTBA membership now directs to AusCycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk