One day near Melbourne

mtbrdan

Squid
Thanks fellas! Harcourt, Buxton or Macedon. Sounds like there are some good options. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I was last there for 2 weeks just after Christmas last year and there was one day it was 45c until the winds switched. Fingers crossed. This will be my 4th time to your amazing country and I am finally getting to have some time on my bike. They used to live up in Whittlesea and I have spent time up in the Kinglake area every time I am there. Flying Tarts Bakery is one of my favorite places ever. Buzzing with excitement.

safreek

One day in Melbourne is the title of the thread, I did one day in Melbourne, still waiting to get it back ;)

gillyske

Likes Dirt
If its operating the cascades trail from lake mountain to marysville would have my vote. You'll have done about 25km from top to bottom.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
If its operating the cascades trail from lake mountain to marysville would have my vote. You'll have done about 25km from top to bottom.
yep good option, don’t the the amount of descending/ascending fool you, it’s a tough day in the saddle, trail bike/aggressive xc i think to manage the amount of tough climbing, down at end is a good reward

mtbrdan

Squid
Not sure the drive to ride ratio works for Lake Mountain, half a day on the road when I already am getting 3 days in Derby, Harcourt or Macedon seem like the winner if the weather allows. I'll post up when I pick a day if anyone wants to meet up.

mtbrdan

Squid
Rode Harcourt Monday ( 2-4-3-2 and 6-9-6 ), jetlag fatigue hit hard about 2/3's of the way through the ride. Really fun spot with great signage that made it easy on my tired brain. No good place for a post ride beer so ended up at a brewery in Woodend that was sweet. Heading out to the Youies tomorrow morning early. Mount Macedon looks like it must have some good terrain but the info online makes it hard to figure out where to go. One more day then off to Tassie!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
More variety at Youies.

Depends on your level / preference of riding on which you'll get more out of...

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Flying into Hobart. Visiting the Moma. Staying in a choice Airbnb in Port Arthur before 3 days in Derby. Blue Tier/Atlas, Black stump etc before flying out of Launceston.
Surely doing Maydena if flying into Hobart, I mean MONA is great and all but....

mtbrdan

Squid
What an amazing trip! Got in two good rides outside of Melbourne then had 3 days in Derby capped off with an early morning pedal up to Black Stump and a ride down Kingswall made even better by an overnight rain that left behind crisp air and hero dirt. Flying home tomorrow, already getting teary eyed thinking about saying goodbye to my daughter and granddaughter and already planning the next trip ( NZ by camper van? ) . Thanks for all the advice!