One day near Melbourne

mtbrdan

Squid
Coming back to visit my daughter and granddaughter in Melbourne and this time I am finally bringing my bike. The highlight of the trip will be 5 days in Tasmania centering on Derby. Shuttles are booked and I am so hyped! I will have one day available to get out into the countryside for a ride. 25-30k with 1000 meters or so of climbing. I would rather spend more time riding than driving. My current thinking is the You Yangs? Berms, jumps, flow, fun. I love it all. I am open to suggestions on other/better spots and suggestions for loops. Thanks in advance and see y'all in a few weeks.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Youies is good but you’ll struggle to get near 1000vm, and assuming you’re coming in summer it’s super hot and exposed.

Where in Melbourne are you staying? It makes a big difference to accessibility/driving distance.

If you’re in the north/west then Harcourt (La Larr Ba Gauwa park) is a bit further than Youies but a better day for sure. 30km/1000m is doable without doubling up on any trails too, and it’s a good mix of tech/flow with well built trails with plenty of good berms/jumps and some great natural granite features. Also a bit exposed in summer, but more overhead foliage than You Yangs.

if you’re in the east then Silvan trails (Dandenongs) or Red Hill will deliver heaps of fun natural trails and also destroy your legs

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As @leitch said, which side of Melbourne you are on will dictate the best place to go.

East could be Silvan or Red hill or even Smiths Gully
West you could do Forrest or Anglesea or Wombat with a guide
North could look at Plenty Gorge or further afield to Harcourt

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alternatively Lysterfield.

Flat as hell, but 3 laps and about 80 kms should get you somewhere near 1000 vert metres!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Alternatively Lysterfield.

Flat as hell, but 3 laps and about 80 kms should get you somewhere near 1000 vert metres!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's some hills at lysty, just not so many in the basic loop. Not many people get up the comm games climb and say they had a blast, then there's the trig climb, and quarry climb out around the back.

Not the most exhilerating trails maybe, but climbing can be done there for sure.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
There's some hills at lysty, just not so many in the basic loop. Not many people get up the comm games climb and say they had a blast, then there's the trig climb, and quarry climb out around the back.

Not the most exhilerating trails maybe, but climbing can be done there for sure.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Comm Games climb (and descent) is good, but if I was getting a single day of riding in Melbourne after a week at Derby, Lysty would not be it :p

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Couldn't agree more. I live right by Lysterfield and couldn't recommend it.

The suggestions made are all sound otherwise. For me, I'd take Redhill as it's where I'm closer to relative to the others. Harcourt is also choice. YY is good but I'd pick Redhill every single time, although it's handier with a guide.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I should add, all options other than Lysterfield and You Yangs are probably a little more enjoyable with a guide. Local knowledge is key to linking trails up to create a whole ride

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I should add, all options other than Lysterfield and You Yangs are probably a little more enjoyable with a guide. Local knowledge is key to linking trails up to create a whole ride
I reckon you can add Harcourt to that list. It’s well signposted and there’s not many trees, so the trails are very obvious.

mtbrdan

Squid
Staying in Moonee Ponds. Either Xmas eve or New Years day are my likely ride days. Harcourt looks sweet!

mtbrdan

Squid
any other ride plans for Tassies...wild mersey, st helens......
Flying into Hobart. Visiting the Moma. Staying in a choice Airbnb in Port Arthur before 3 days in Derby. Blue Tier/Atlas, Black stump etc before flying out of Launceston.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
If its hot, harcourt is going to be a pain, theres next to no coverage anywhere, just miles and miles of hot gravelly dirt. trails are ace fun and something for pretty much everyone i'd imagine, but it makes the youies look like an oasis.

buxton is a blast, lots of trails in a tight space, fun flowy descents and plenty enough climbing. Trails are easy to find, cant get too far lost there and will be much cooler than most places.

I wouldnt go lysty either if i was visiting melbourne for a day. Its not as exciting and has a tendancy to be choc full on a weekend. but there is climbs, if you want to get your legs all jelly it can be done there. i only mention this because people have made the mistake of calling it flat, the wrong people have heard this, and then the VES courses were made with more brutal climbs than anything else in the series

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Harcourt would be my pick, but in a few weeks could be a hot slippery dust bowl, i prefer to ride it just post rain, macedon will get you the climbing but the downs are pretty short, compared with the climbing...am local & up for either to guide you if you like, harcourt is more fun all round. antimony mine above melton would get u the elevation, not super lowy & will be a bit rocky.hot that i’ve of year, it’s s rougherbush natural trk
if u want do macedon we could squeeze in a gisborne loop also

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Harcourt would be my pick, but in a few weeks could be a hot slippery dust bowl, i prefer to ride it just post rain, macedon will get you the climbing but the downs are pretty short, compared with the climbing...am local & up for either to guide you if you like, harcourt is more fun all round. antimony mine above melton would get u the elevation, not super lowy & will be a bit rocky.hot that i’ve of year, it’s s rougherbush natural trk
Yes but man do they get the blood pumping!