One for the Graf/Stencil/street artists.... Apparently we're up to post #623 now

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Well after about 17 years I've got the itch again.

I've always been a HUGE fan of the aerosols and we needed some art to hang in our new abode. So much to my girl's dissapointment, I decided to do it myself :D

As you can see I'm pretty damn rusty after almost 2 decades! Definately some can control issues, need to learn how to draw lines straight :eek: But I will also have you notice that there are NO DRIPS :cool: Unfortunately I bought (yes, not racked) cheap paint. The (powder) blue wouldn't mix properly at first, so when I started it looked like a nice mid blue. But after a while it turned extremely light (due to having leached all the darker pigment out earlier) and ended up being lighter than the background :mad: Also the red can had some serious nozzle issues. But all in all, I'm happy for my first attempt in almost 20 years ;)

First photo is the finished deal, where you can see the joins, there will be about a 15mm gap when hung giving it the "comic" effect. the second is my studio, the third and fourth are a couple of my mates that hang out with me whenever I'm in the back yard. Enjoy!

PS, if anyone has anymore art (paint, stencil, photo etc, feel free to post in this thread. If enough people do I'll change the title to invite all to post their stuff, like the stencil pic recently posted.

Attachments

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Clearly you've got WAY too much time on your hands! :D

But, good designs, look good enough for a professional (almost) :p

Seriously, that would look excellent in the right place.

MikeT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice work, Has anyone seen the asian guy in manly corso on saturday nights doing crrraazy stuff with spray paint and allsorts. He sells them for 35 bucks and they are well worth it for the amount of effort and skill thats put into them, not to mention how good they look

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
scblack said:
Clearly you've got WAY too much time on your hands! :D .
Holidays finished today.....thank God!

scblack said:
Seriously, that would look excellent in the right place.
What do you think the right place would be? I'm thinking on the side of the 8:15 Hornsby to Blacktown via Central! :p Jks..........I got in enough trouble for that as a kid :eek:

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Johnny.. Johnny..

Cmon if you were that into graf, at least use decent paint, not that you didnt get a decent result anyways but still have cap choices for fills and high lights makes a huge difference, and the paint so much thicker and doesnt run.

Try these if thers a next time:

Montana(Blacks+Golds, Golds are a bit better then blacks)
Molotow Beltons
Krylon
Proline
IronLak(Aussie Brand good and heaps cheap $7 a can)

Nice result tho man, given me an idea for my bed room now :p

Rhys

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ride_Guy said:
Johnny.. Johnny..

Cmon if you were that into graf, at least use decent paint, not that you didnt get a decent result anyways but still have cap choices for fills and high lights makes a huge difference, and the paint so much thicker and doesnt run.

Try these if thers a next time:

Montana(Blacks+Golds, Golds are a bit better then blacks)
Molotow Beltons
Krylon
Proline
IronLak(Aussie Brand good and heaps cheap $7 a can)

Nice result tho man, given me an idea for my bed room now :p

Rhys
Mate, there are so many brands out these days that I've never heard of! I also dont have my old collection of caps anymore and the new techniques (they're probably old now, I stopped when I was 15 and am in my 30's now) are all new to me! And being that they've doubled in price I bought the cheapo's (I won't ever rack again and I'm embarrassed that I ever did) but will definately check out IronLak!

There will be a next time, but it will be bigger, better planned and on a wall (no, not one I'll get busted for). Can't wait to go back to uni so I can do some more designs. I still love the old skool bubbles, stars, shines and chromo look the best :cool:

.....and as NHD once said, you gotta love arrows!

tombre2

Likes Dirt
that magpie looks cool

but ur graffiti is pretty sic, wish i could do that shit, more of a photographer than artist

nickz

Likes Dirt
I was at an art shop yesterday and saw how cheap canvases are, so the gf and I bought a few 5 inch by 7 inch ones to paint and put up in our place. Funny you should post that.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, each one of those canvases were only $9 each. Think I might get some more tomorrow :)

jamsta

Jamsta Grafix
"Beat Street" is back! I'm sure you'll remember that one Johnny? ;)

Nice work for an old guy ;) ;) [I'm with ya]

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
".....because...uh! you can't let, the street beat you!"

I'm so old yet still a kid. Love that shit!

Where's my ghetto blaster, Run-DMC tape and a piece of cardboard! :D

looseunit

Likes Dirt
Cheap paint sucks, but some colour are alright and they are all still good for fill. For caps for cheap paint check out www.dahub.com.au.

Other wise Ironlak is nice, flow is a little slow and some colour are not great.

Anyone in Adelaide there is exhibition in forestone with some of the best writers in Australia I will post some photos later. Check out www.forestone.com.au

looseunit

Likes Dirt
"Beat Street" is back! I'm sure you'll remember that one Johnny

How could you forget Style Wars, or Wild Style!!!!!!

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
don't go past exports for good quality paint.
I don't wouch squirts for anything apart from minor highlights because they plain suck. Dulux fiddly bits are alright but steer well clear or oranges/yellows.
Go source some caps as they sell at 25-50c each and are well worth it.

Looking good tho.