One for the Graf/Stencil/street artists.... Apparently we're up to post #623 now

RCOH

Eats Squid
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/artists-drown-in-drain/2008/01/21/1200764081353.html

"Inspector Eddie Bosch said the group had been drinking alcohol and spraying graffiti inside the drain last night when they heard the sound of rushing water.

"They spent about half an hour doing the artwork, not that far from the entrance," he said. "Then they've heard a noise and suddenly the water is upon them and they've washed all the way to Lurline Bay."

They smashed into steel bars at the end of the drain but the 27-year-old slipped through. "He's just got a little scratch on his hip," Inspector Bosch said."

J

JaRedy

here's some local grafity I found today...some people are so talented...

I like this one^^^

and this lastone is just amaizing...I spent about 10 mins trying to figure out how he did it...turns out he used about 1,000,000 stencills:eek:...the whole thig was stencill on top of another stencil etc...

Or what bud_weiser said...that sounds more practical...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bud Weiser

Likes Dirt
that aint no stencil,

thats a beautiful thing named a cutback,

bassicly you put a patch of color down and the cut back over the top with another colour till you end up with a nice shape with sharp corners.

plus this aint done with your standard paint caps there is a whole range of cpas pressures and paints that do many different things, but thats all useless with out a good eye and good control of paint.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Found a place where I can paint away with impunity.

Was only able to buy three cans, had no designs and the paint/caps here are absolutely WOEFUL! But I had fun and I think I'll be doing a bit more in the near future. I'm starting to move away from the traditional hip hop style and just starting to paint. I might get some paint together and do a nice big old school piece with bubbles and arrows and stuff though. First one was on a metal thingy that already had a whole pile scrawl all over it so I tried to make something out of it. Not good but not overly embarrassing either. Second one was ok, the eye came out ok but the bubbles are as toy as fark, shouldn't not have done them at all. The last one was a lark to waste paint.

'Ross

Eats Squid
The eye is really cool Johnny, maybe try it with a bit more detail some time, has a lot of potential.

Also if you can only get cheapo cans with the female caps, just replace them with substitutes from normal household products;) You will find female caps with a nice round nozzle and circular top (way more comfy than the little square stick eg Aussie Export) on stuff like baking spray, foamy spray crap etc... They work really well. I even use em to paint my bikes if Im using Aussie Export!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Details with these caps and paint is pretty much impossible. But some guys here are getting some decent stuff going so I'll do some research and some practice.

Here's some other stuff that was around. It's a big old industrial area that is slowely turning into an alternative style art gallery.

Riiiiik, what about those stencils mate, time to go international....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sat up last night all excited doing designs. Up at 8am this morning, bought exterior white (4L) and 10 cans of very average paint for about AUS$30 and went to work.

Outcome, not too bad, bit patchy but I had fun. Have got so many more to do soon!

The Chinese character in the middle means love.

Made a graffiti writer out of my girlfriend too!

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Johnny, can I ask, what does that heart with the opening at the top, often with flames actually mean? or what is it symbolic of? I've seen it heaps in tattoo's. cheers man

Matt H

Eats Squid
2nd Pic, post 148

I think it must be something to do with the big heavy, industrial looking door it's painted on, combined with the gas mask etc. but something about that gives me shivers down my spine...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Johnny, can I ask, what does that heart with the opening at the top, often with flames actually mean? or what is it symbolic of? I've seen it heaps in tattoo's. cheers man
Mate, it's a Catholic thing. I've always wondered too but have never really researched it. The most original looking place I've seen it is in Catholic icons where Mary is holding an infant Jesus and this flaming heart is floating on her chest.

I love the whole Mexican/Latino style tattoo art and that's really my inspiration for drawing it. I have done heaps of different types of sketches involving it; wings, chains, horns, barbed wire, etc. I love the image!

'Ross

Eats Squid
Stewie Plays Golf. Bad Smudging.

Tubby with some propaganda (Work in Progress) Some toy put lame lines around it before I got the pic:(

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Nice work!

There's some serious poster work going on around here. I'll try and grab some pics.

Plow King

Little bit.
Access to wikipeadia is restricted here :(
The Sacred Heart is a religious devotion to Jesus' physical heart as the representation of the divine love for humanity.

This devotion is predominantly used in the Roman Catholic Church and also by Anglo-Catholics. It also stresses the central Christian concept of loving and adoring Jesus. The origin of this devotion in its modern form is derived from a French Catholic nun Marguerite Marie Alacoque, who said she learned the devotion from Jesus in visions. Predecessors to the modern devotion existed to some extent in the Middle Ages in various mystical sects.[1]

Devotion to the Sacred Heart may sometimes be seen in the Eastern Catholic Churches, where it remains a point of controversy and is seen as an example of liturgical latinisation.

The Sacred Heart is often depicted in Christian art as a flaming heart shining with divine light, pierced by the lance-wound, surrounded by a crown of thorns, and bleeding. Sometimes the image is over Jesus' body with his wounded hands pointing at the heart. The wounds and crown of thorns allude to the manner of Jesus' death, while the fire represents the transformative power of love.

The Feast of the Sacred Heart is a holy day in the Roman Catholic liturgical calendar, and is celebrated 19 days after Pentecost. As Pentecost is always celebrated on Sunday, the Feast of the Sacred Heart always falls on a Friday. In 2008, it will be celebrated on May 30.
Wiki.

Well first few paragraphs anyway.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Nice work!

There's some serious poster work going on around here. I'll try and grab some pics.
thanks, there is plenty down here as well:) Those were just practices as Ive got some massive paper (like 1.5m tall x unlimited wide) and I was practicing the best method. Unfortunately I didnt use an oil based marker on Stewie so he smudged. I really like the tubby one I made, has some potential but I just coloured it with pencil:p I should use paint next time. At least my paste worked well.

Does anyone know a program that converts normal photos to stencils or a way to do it? I want to go for a few complex stencils, but am not sure on how to go about it.