One for the Graf/Stencil/street artists.... Apparently we're up to post #623 now

'Ross

Eats Squid
but there is so many pics of him online and him posing in front of his work, now I see panel pics online, personally I think he is going to get busted at the airport when he tries to go home:eek:

Am I the grand master of prediction or what?

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...l-term-for-graffiti-artist-20091029-hnem.html

Pretty shit holiday, his event doesn't even happen and he cops a $15grand kick on the ass on the way home, A-grade painter, but he also appears to be an A-grade muppet!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So how is it that they can bust you without catching you in the act. Can't you deny it with the onus of proof laying with the accuser?

That's what it was like back in my day.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I see he pleaded guilty, but I don't see how saying you will do something and taking a picture next to something that resembles what you said you would do amounts to irrefutable evidence. Maybe things have changed but all he has to say was that "I lied to get notoriety, I just tried to take credit for it. Some one else did it", the law cannot prove otherwise unless they have evidence to prove it was him. This would be witnessed and apprehended by police in the act or footage showing that it is undeniably him breaking the law.

Deny deny deny until they can prove it.

'Ross

Eats Squid
^^^Im pretty certain that is exactly what he did when he got busted late last year in America (still haven't heard the outcome but it was a fairly massive case against him), and how Sheppard Fairey avoided most of his charges, he admitted to a small few and then said there was no evidence to prove he did the rest.

Perhaps Revok just wanted to get out of the country, or perhaps he thought he had just given up enough proof that it wasn't worth arguing about....a $15k fine for less than 10 hits is pretty brutal, he was probably just desperate to leave Australia with his tail between his legs and never come back!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Spray-can vandals face prison under crackdown

LISA CARTY NSW POLITICAL EDITOR
November 8, 2009
http://www.smh.com.au/national/spraycan-vandals-face-prison-under-crackdown-20091107-i2ss.html

CHILDREN carrying spray-paint cans without a legitimate reason could face six months in jail under a revolutionary graffiti crackdown by the State Government.

It is the first time courts will have the power to jail youths for merely carrying a can of spray paint. [Ha! Sending a Child to gaol when they haven't even committed an anti-social act. Yeah, that sounds like good sense.]

The tough new measures come as Premier Nathan Rees - sickened by the crimes of paint-spraying vandals - decides to take a zero-tolerance approach to vandals who are to blame for up to $100 million in statewide public and private clean-up costs each year.

City of Sydney spends up to $3 million annually cleaning graffiti, with the bills for councils topping $25 million across the wider Sydney region, Wollongong, the Central Coast and Newcastle. [Hang on a second, between a city of 4-5 million people plus Woolongong, Newcastle and Central coast, which I'd assume make up the vast bulk of NSW population and they only account for $25 million of costs and the rest of the non-urban population spends up to $75 million a year for spay paint vandalism...., where therre are no urban mass transit systems and far less people altogether??? This article already smells like a pile of bullshit to me.]

Mr Rees will today officially announce an annual graffiti clean-up day - run along the same lines as the hugely popular Clean Up Australia Day, which began as a Sydney Harbour clean-up in 1989 and has spread internationally.

''The community is fed up with their streets being defaced by senseless vandals who think they can operate above the law,'' Mr Rees told The Sun-Herald yesterday. ''I'm putting graffiti vandals on notice - we have you in our sights and the community, police and business are right behind us.

''Graffiti is not a victimless crime - it makes people feel unsafe, eats away at the pride people have for their towns and suburbs and this is simply not on."

Mr Rees was spurred to action by the graffiti crisis at his local shops at Lalor Park in Sydney's west.

''Over the years of riding or running around suburbs, I've been appalled at the destruction that vandals heap on to our public buildings and businesses,'' Mr Rees said yesterday. ''It's an issue that generates strong emotions across the state and here in my own backyard.

''We all take pride in the places we live and vulgar graffiti is a constant reminder of some of the worst elements in our community.''

Mr Rees said the annual Graffiti Action Day, set down for the first Sunday in May, would ''empower communities to take charge and make a difference''.

Making it an offence for juveniles to possess spray cans without needing them for work, school or art projects built on earlier reforms that introduced fines for retailers who sold spray paint to young people, he said.

"If they cannot prove to police that they need the spray can for legitimate reasons like school or work they will face fines of up to $1100 and even six months' jail in some cases,'' Mr Rees said.

Keep Australia Beautiful chief executive Peter McLean said clean-up volunteers would be given chemicals, gloves and information on the best way to remove graffiti from a range of surfaces.

Local councils would also be asked to play a lead role because they had access to the chemicals and equipment needed for an effective clean-up.

Mr McLean said he regularly received threats of assault from graffiti vandals because of Keep Australia Beautiful's push to have councils remove walls they had set aside for sanctioned graffiti.

Contrary to popular belief, he said, such areas did nothing to reduce graffiti in other locations and in fact may well cause an escalation of the problem.

He said the designated clean-up day meant everyone could get involved in tackling the scourge of graffiti: ''It is an important opportunity to raise awareness of how we can collectively remove graffiti.

''Volunteers can play an important role to increase the pride and morale of their local communities."

Victims of Crimes Assistance League spokesman Howard Brown said his organisation backed the new clean-up day.

Apart from encouraging community pride, it would highlight the problem to the vandals' parents.

''As every graffiti vandal has a parent, we can reinforce to these parents the harm that can be done, and encourage them to better understand what their children are up to and assist in diverting their interests elsewhere,'' Mr Brown said.

In March, 18-year-old Cheyene Back, who had no prior convictions, successfully appealed against a three-month jail term for putting graffiti on the wall of a Hyde Park cafe.

District Court Judge Greg Hosking instead put her on a good-behaviour bond but added: ''People in Sydney are sick of graffiti - there's no doubt about that.''

NSW Business Chamber chief executive Stephen Cartwright said graffiti was a huge economic and time impost on business and the judiciary needed to play a role. ''We welcome the Government's announcement but it has to be backed up by the magistrates who have to understand that graffiti is not a victimless crime,'' Mr Cartwright said.

Victoria introduced new laws last year which made it an offence to carry spray paint on or near public transport, or to sell spray paint to minors.

Billions misspent on Sydney's redundant rail transport system is not a victimless crime either, Nathan.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really do wonder if governments world wide actually believe they can stop graffiti. The removal of legal walls just pushes the whole culture further underground, and IMO gives us so called ''criminals'' more reason to rebel.

Fuck society:)

'Ross

Eats Squid
Once again the lame town of Sydney tries to copy almightly Melburn.

Its just scare tactics, nobody is going to jail for carrying a can, no 10 yr old is getting locked up or whatever else they are talking about.......but with enough widespread media coverage they hope to scare off some kids from getting into graffiti.

Matt H

Eats Squid
I've never painted in my life, but after reading that I feel like going out and bombing simply out of spite. :p

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah, it does, huh? Here I was thinking that the title "Cleaning Unit" was just a joke.

wambiri

Likes Dirt
walls in the northern beaches are being torn down.

that is the stupidest fucking idea ever, now when a little kid does find a can they are going to go spray on some shop wall or fence.

i swear this country is run by monkeys.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
walls in the northern beaches are being torn down.

that is the stupidest fucking idea ever, now when a little kid does find a can they are going to go spray on some shop wall or fence.

i swear this country is run by monkeys.
They're torn down because little fucktards go paint the legal then go bomb the toilet blocks and fences around the area.