One of Silvan's favorite trails got a big makeover during lockdown!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to see the collarbone is fully recovered (or at least not holding you back) @Chriso_29er
Thanks Andrew,
Yeah its feeling great, only get a slight irritation from the scar / plate while wearing my camelback. Everything else is spot on.
I thought it would mess with my head a bit more, but first trail in I was feeling great and mostly stopped thinking about it.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
chris or others, if i have just an hour or so at silvan, which is the easiest trail to climb up on the single spd, and which trail should i ride down after climbing? i’ll prob just look to repeat same climb/descent twice -lastly which car parking spot is easiest also

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
chris or others, if i have just an hour or so at silvan, which is the easiest trail to climb up on the single spd, and which trail should i ride down after climbing? i’ll prob just look to repeat same climb/descent twice -lastly which car parking spot is easiest also
A real singlespeeder would ask which is the toughest climb, so they can test their moustache for torsional strength while climbing.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

CHEWY

Eats Squid
When are you going to be out here? I might be able to show you around... Really need more than hour but up bartlett track is a nice fire trail climb with big ferns then down lyre lyre or tchans. There are lots of different options you could do...

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Almost all of the original trail network was built by singlespeeders. So the single track climbs are well suited to the stand up strength efforts.

You might appreciate the Bakers Dozen/Extension & Temple of Doom (Zoom) loop for OG single track.

I’ll screen* grab a route shortly

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Daniel Hale
This is 14km and 520m of climbing. Silvan is typically pretty slow going

Cue sheet as follows;
Start at overflow carpark (Stonyford Road)
Climb up 'Goldminer'
Up Track 12 (Fireroad) to 'Downhill Track' off to the right (Signpost)
At bottom junction turn left onto Magpie trail heading northbound
Climb Up Twisted Sister (The Extension)
Up Wallaby Track to 'To The Valley' below off to the right (No signpost)
Turn right at fireroad
Head up Track 13 to start of Bakers Dozen climb (Signposted)
Up Twister Sister again
Up Wallaby Track to 'Temple of Zoom' off to the right (before 'To the Valley') (Signposted)
Down 'Temple of Zoom'
Up Bakers Dozen again
Over track 12 to Yarbang, follow that all the way to the bottom
Turn right onto Magpie Track
Follow Fireroad back to Stonyford Road and your car.

This loop provides bang for buck in terms of XC/SS riding, it has only a touch over 1km of fireroad/road.
There is also nothing gnarly in terms of jumps/rocks/drops that some of the more gravity focused trails have, although it's still old school singletrack for the most part so it has steep bits, is tight in places and will get the juices flowing.

Attachments

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
That's a great XC loop @caad9. Didn't know the JJs climb was called Goldminer but there you go :) ToZ is also signposted.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a great XC loop @caad9. Didn't know the JJs climb was called Goldminer but there you go :) ToZ is also signposted.
I didn't either until I did this on Strava.
I know a lot of the tracks differently to how they are currently named, but Strava seems to rule the day in that regard.