Product Review OneUp Components Dropper Post and remote

Ah, the myriad of mountain bike dropper posts! We’re very spoilt for choice in this field but ultimately they all do the same thing yeah? Well, Yes and no. Read on to find out more on the sweet OneUp Components Dropper Post and remote available from Mountain Bikes Direct!
IMG_8313.jpg

Item: OneUp Components Dropper Post and remote
Purchased From: Mountain Bikes Direct (Click Here for the product page)
Purchase Price (approx): $264.95 for the post, $64.95 for the remote. Both come in several options for sizing and clamp preference.

Product outline: If you’ve used a dropper post then you know the drill. They turn a good bike into a great bike and make the capability of riding gravity trails more enjoyable by dropping the post and saddle out of the way so you can holler all the way down, flick the remote lever and pedal back up without needing to undo the quick release clamp like we did back in the day. This particular post is what we refer to as a stealth dropper post meaning the cable that actuates the system is connected to the bottom of the post and needs to run inside the seat tube of your frame and come out towards the front of your frame to join the bird nest of cables attached to your handlebars.
DSC_0561.jpg

Fitting: Fitting is a total breeze. Actually, it’s the easiest stealth dropper post I’ve ever fitted. For this review I’ve got the 31.6mm post with a 150mm drop. There’s a 30.9mm post too and both come in two drop sizes; either 150mm and 170mm. The remote I run is clamped into my SRAM components using the Matchmaker clamp. There’s a few options with the clamp you can choose so jump on Mountain Bikes Direct’s site and suss out your options.
What makes this so easy to fit? The cable ends are better positioned with the ball end of the cable attached to the bottom of the post meaning all you need to do is attached the ball end to the actuator on the base of the post, run your cable housing through your frame, slide the cable into it and set tighten your seat post clamp. You then set the length of the cable at the remote end, mark it so you can double check where you want to cut the outer then just undo the post clamp slide the post up with the cable attached enough so that when you cut the outer to length it doesn’t lop the end off the cable. Make the cut, slide the cable back in, clamp the seat post and slide the cable through the small cable clamp on the remote and pull the cable tight. You have a barrel adjuster to firm the cable feel on the remote so give that a few turns to take any small play out of the lever and double check it all. Be generous with any loop you may need to leave in the cable outer so it isn’t kicking or clamping the cable. Once you’re happy with the layout, cut the cable off at the remote end but leave enough hanging out to give you some extra length for perhaps a future build. Chuck a cable end on and you’re done!
IMG_8305.jpg

On the trail: OneUp Components are really kicking arse for me the last few years. I totally love the Every Day Carry tool that slides so snug into your steerer tube and the Ever Day Carry Pump that not only gives you a lightweight 100cc pump but offers more storage options for gear you need on the trail. The functionality of that stuff is setting the bar so it’s an obvious choice to give their dropper post a go. The first thing that appeals to me is the price, its relatively cheap compared with other known high end models, it is a simple cable design that is damn easy to fit, it has an amazing option of adjusting the drop height via the available shim system but above all else, the quality of this gear is a big plus for me.
The post has none of that wobble that you get when you hold the saddle and try to move it around. Tick! After giving the thing hell on a hardtail of mine for most of this year, it feels like new. The only adjustment I have had to make is to adjust the clamping of the cable to give the carbon remote a firm feel. You know how I said it makes a good bike into a great bike? That’s a proven gimmick on my setup; a 29er hardtail with 100mm travel forks. Why would you put a dropper on an XC hardtail you ask? Good bike made great, thats why.
There’s two points of contact when riding a bike with a dropper post; the saddle and the remote. The seatpost doesn’t have any bob and doesn’t feel like it’s sagging and nor does the lever. It is a very firm feel and the action of dropping the post is very relative to the remote feel. You push it in slowly and the post will drop slowly or you punch that lever hard and the post is down in a flash. The same goes for the return to full length feel although the raising action is a little slower than some other posts. That isn’t entirely bad though, it gave me confidence that the post is running smooth and accurate.
I’m not a lightweight on a bike and I have felt flex in rigid posts and some keyway movement in other dropper posts. This guy doesn’t have any of that feel and is super rigid in any position you run. The 150mm drop gives me effectively three options; all the way up for pedaling, all the way down for things that are way too steep for an XC bike and roughly two thirds of the way up for “just riding along”. That third position (we’ll refer to it as JRA) is so important to me and finding the right feel in a lever to get the post to stop at that point can be tedious. With the OneUp, it does drop pretty quickly so getting into the JRA position is best done by dropping it lower than the JRA position then creeping it up with a slow push on the lever. Once it’s there you can chew the fat with your pals about that last damn climb!
DSC_0562.jpg

Pros – Great quality and great finish, super cheap price for a top level dropper post, cool additional functions from an innovative company.

Cons – The remote lever feels a little plastic at first, it may bother some that there isn’t an external cable option, they are selling out everywhere!
DSC_0563.jpg

Summary: There isn’t a ton you can say about this post that isn’t positive: Its a neat finish, it works so well, it is so easy to fit and has some cool features that come across as new to most dropper post users. A good dropper post will always feel great but when they start to pack it in they feel terrible whereas a mediocre dropper post will feel terrible from the start. Comparatively, the OneUp dropper is priced the same as those mediocre feeling dropper posts but functions as good as the top level posts. The cable affixing to the post end and adjusting the length at the remote end is so neat and so obviously critical that all dropper posts with a cable should follow suit.
The shim needed to fit to change the drop height is sold separately but not entirely necessary if you want a 150mm drop as minimum. Another great point of this post is it is a bit shorter overall meaning it can fit into some frame that have a random curve in the seat tube and only requires 90mm of the seat post to be in the frame. In total, the 150mm version measures 410mm at full length plus the small fitting for the actuator, thats a big bonus if you’re limited to the length of post you can shove in your bike.
All in all, I’m so stoked I have this bolted into one of my bikes. Of all the posts I’ve used, this is easily one of my two favourite posts and I will prefer to buy this to stick in a future build for sure. Do your sums on a new bike or some new parts, put that post in your basket on Mountain Bikes Direct’s online store then spend the next hour finding something else to spend that spare $200 that you saved, thats the most blunt and obvious thing I can say about another awesome product from OneUp Components and as they so effectively say “Work less, Ride more”.
DSC_0524.jpg DSC_0526.jpg DSC_0530.jpg DSC_0556.jpg DSC_0558.jpg DSC_0559.jpg DSC_0560.jpg DSC_0561.jpg DSC_0562.jpg DSC_0563.jpg DSC_0569.jpg DSC_0570.jpg IMG_8305.jpg IMG_8309.jpg IMG_8313.jpg

Comments

Very glad to read this review and thread as I ordered this dropper yesterday in 170 with a wolf creek lever before reading any reviews.. purely based my purchase on my experience with oneup components and it seems I got it right.
I also queried the cable situation after placing my order, and yes it was confirmed by mtbdirect that I'd need to also buy a cable, so I added the slippy Shimano cable to the order.

^ Will be interesting to see if yours ships with a cable anyway, as MTBDirect told me it didn't but it actually did.

So what are the long term reports on this thing like? New bike coming soon and there are so many options out there! Keen to hear how they've held up for people so far?

Cant comment on long term as I only got around to installing mine a week ago.
I did find that it had a stiff action and would only go up and down smoothly with the seat clamp completely undone. Not ideal.
Mtb Direct suggested undoing the collar and slapping some slick honey on there and cycling it a bunch of times.
I’ve done that, seems to be sorted but will find out on the weekend if it’s a fix.
I think someone else reported the same issue earlier in the thread.
Also my 170 post only measures out to 162.
Other than that and the stiff action initially it seems like a quality piece of kit.

So what are the long term reports on this thing like? New bike coming soon and there are so many options out there! Keen to hear how they've held up for people so far?
I've been running mine since May 2018 doing two or three rides a week on it. I've also got one installed on a bike I sold before Christmas and not one word of a lie, they are both as good as new. I rate my Bikeyoke Revive as the best dropper I've ever had the pleasure of stroking up and down..............the OneUp is not far behind it.
The price is so good, the function is amazing and it works long term. Winner winner. ;)

I've had my 170mm version on my bike for about 7 months. It's not as smooth as my previous Reverb or my current Bontrager but then it poses no problems like the Reverb can and doesn't move laterally like the Bontrager.

Added some slick honey to the internal bushing and it's a little better. Would buy again though for sure.

I’ve had a 170mm for about 6 months, and also a 150mm X-Fusion manic for a slightly shorter period on another bike. The x-fusion is definitely the smoother of the two, to me there’s no difference between it and the 125mm KS LEV it replaced. The OneUp works fine but has a slightly coarser feel when raising back up. Also the actuation system did jam once after a particularly rough section of trail wedged the cable outer in the seat tube cable port. Systems using the cable inner to actuate the post don’t have this issue.

I’ve had a 170mm for about 6 months, and also a 150mm X-Fusion manic for a slightly shorter period on another bike. The x-fusion is definitely the smoother of the two, to me there’s no difference between it and the 125mm KS LEV it replaced. The OneUp works fine but has a slightly coarser feel when raising back up. Also the actuation system did jam once after a particularly rough section of trail wedged the cable outer in the seat tube cable port. Systems using the cable inner to actuate the post don’t have this issue.
The early KS's were like that and they recalled them for modification to switch them to a centre cable pull.

And I run the OneUp lever in the ispec 2 version and have no issues with it or the way it feels.

I've previously run a Giant and the lever with that was pretty horrible and one of the old x-fusion droppers with the joystick lever which was a close second to this. I can't compare it to a wolf tooth, or any other lever though.

With the smoothness of the post, with all the droppers I've used or installed, the first thing I've done is pulled the collars and hit them with slicko.

The action of the OneUp has been smooth, but I do find that it's pretty sensitive to the seat tube collar pressure. The more you crank it, the worse it gets.

With the cable being outter actuated, I haven't had any issues at all with that. Still moves as free as the day I installed it. Which was a bitch trying to get it around the bottom bracket.

With the cable being outter actuated, I haven't had any issues at all with that. Still moves as free as the day I installed it. Which was a bitch trying to get it around the bottom bracket.
When you say Outer Actuated, you mean that the actual cable outer is the bit that moves, rather than the inner?

When you say Outer Actuated, you mean that the actual cable outer is the bit that moves, rather than the inner?
Yep that's basically what happens.

Post is flawless but that part of the design is odd. Essentially the cable pulling forces the housing to move an actuator rather than the cable pulling and actuator.

I feel it means you require more 'push' and if the frame routing is tight or awkward angles it gets even harder. Even the little rubber bits that hold your housing in holes for frame can influence.

Not ideal.

If you have a carbon frame where the cable enters through the seat tube via a slotted hole, dirt gets caught in the hole and jambs the cable and it also wears a bigger slot in your frame. The constant moving of the outer in your frame isn't great either. It will be frame dependant on how well it fits.

Last edited:
If you have a carbon frame where the cable enters through the seat mast via a slotted hole, dirt gets caught in the hole and jambs the cable and it also wears a bigger slot in your frame. The constant moving of the outer in your frame isn't great either. It will be frame dependant on how well it fits.
Has that happened to you @Flow-Rider?

Ah wow, definitely just dropped off my list with that. As indeed the new bike is a carbon internal routed, internal moulded frame! So that then brings it back to a Bike Yoke or KS.

And given it's the only one I haven't tried yet, plus it's great reviews...

Bike Yoke it is!