OneUp Components EDC Every Day Carry tool review

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Welcome to the next exciting review on products provided to us by our friends at Mountain Bikes Direct. We've teamed up with one of Australia's best online mountain bike stores to bring you in depth reviews on the latest and most intriguing parts and accessories you can purchase for your bike.

The idea of the OneUp Components EDC Every Day Carry tool is to store the tools you’ll need in vacant spaces on your bike instead of suspending the weight of items you carry in your backpack or pocket. This tool simply slides into your fork steerer tube after a small amount of time is applied to tap a thread into your steerer tube. The compact design means it’s one less item you may forget to pack in the event that you’ll need it when you’re an hour from the car. It’s quite surprising just how versatile this small tool is and just how commonly used the tools affixed are. It includes the most used hex wrench sizes (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8mm), a T25 torx, a plastic tyre lever, flat head screwdriver, four spoke keys (0,1,2,3), a presta valve core tool, a chain breaker tool and comes with a small sealed capsule to store small parts like a quick link, a CO2 cartridge and items of that size. There’s also a tool to tighten the top cap if need be.

For our in depth review, click here.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Finally sourced a 70cc pump & fitted it & the tool to the Ripley:

Snug as a bug in a rug. Glad I ended up with the short pump as it works better with the frame shape.

The side mount cage (I rate the Giant ones) allows the bottle to come & go just fine. And I don’t use the shock lever ever...DW means you can run it wide open everywhere...so it doesn’t matter about lever clearance.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Finally sourced a 70cc pump & fitted it & the tool to the Ripley:

Snug as a bug in a rug. Glad I ended up with the short pump as it works better with the frame shape.

The side mount cage (I rate the Giant ones) allows the bottle to come & go just fine. And I don’t use the shock lever ever...DW means you can run it wide open everywhere...so it doesn’t matter about lever clearance.
I run a Giant side mount and it's really good. Only ever lost a bottle in a big stack

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Just added a tubeless repair insert tool too my edc

Using a dremel I cut the threaded section of a used CO2 cartridge and butchered a cheap weldtite tool to expose the metal shaft then epoxied them together.

I cut a tyre on Saturday and could have done with this then but at least it’s ready for the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deano

Likes Dirt
Just added a tubeless repair insert tool too my edc

Using a dremel I cut the threaded section of a used CO2 cartridge and butchered a cheap weldtite tool to expose the metal shaft then epoxied them together.

I cut a tyre on Saturday and could have done with this then but at least it’s ready for the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clever, should add it to the hacks thread

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Heads up peeps - had my OneUp pump elastic band snap (unbeknownst to me) and the pump plus tool jettisoned on the trail, also unnoticed. Mate behind scooped it up but crap, $170 worth of choice bits left my bike without me knowing.

So I modded the mount to accept a reinforced Velcro strap instead:

That elastic strap is a weak point...

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Bump - these still a good option? Price is still pretty high for a pump and multitool....

But the black / green matches my bike, soooo who can put a price on that?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I haven't got the pump but I do use the tool in the steerer and it's excellent.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, the tool is very handy. Beats having to pull the pack off just to nip up a loose clamp or something. The pump works well enough, but if you can fit the larger one on your bike I'd lean toward that. I have the smaller pump, but it takes a lot of (admittedly very small) strokes to actually pump the tyre up significantly. Wouldn't want to have to use it to refill a tyre from flat - it'd work, but it'd take ages.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Really? I have the 70cc pump & it's fucking amazing. Can't believe how effective it is!
Dunno, mine feels like it does nothing for 20 seconds then starts pumping. It does actually work, but just feels like it isn't. Every other pump I've had you can feel strong resistance when the pressures are getting high, the OneUp not really. I thought it was stuffed, but I've used it to pump up half flat tyres before so it does work. I use a Blackburn Mammoth at home or the trail-head, so maybe it just feels lacklustre by comparison.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I want one bad. Been looking at the crank brothers F15 as a stop gap but I'm probably better off getting the EDC, putting it in the sale bag and just getting the pump later.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Mine works well (have the bigger one), and it's neat having all the tools inside it. Less stuff to forget when you're heading out, and easily moved between bikes. I would prefer a pump with a retractable hose extension, but then it wouldn't fit the tool inside I guess.

@beeb you can carry a canister in it too for quick refills I think, although I haven't bothered with that.

Overall I like it, well made unit. Pricey tho.