Product Review OneUp Components EDC Every Day Carry tool

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
The tapped threads don't hold the tool in, they - along with the new top cap - allow you to preload the headset in the absence of the starnut.

You could I suppose use a Hope Headset Doctor thing to preload the headset, tighten the stem & replace the Hope thing with the EDC?
I like this idea...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I for one don't give a shit if the reviewer has paid for the item or not as long as the review is honest. Good luck if you can get bits for nix but review the gear sincerely warts and all.

As for the tool I like the way the headset is preloaded, way better than a starnut but I would rather carry told and pump in a backpack.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Cool but unnecessary

Wow how cool is the Industry 9 skewer tool but you have to stop, take out the skewer, take it apart to find the bit and fit it to the handle and then put it all back together again. Fu_k me- all my riding buddies would have left me long ago. Same with the One Up.

The One Up is a cool solution to a problem that doesnt really exist- IMO. Dont get me wrong- its a really nice piece of kit. Also I sell/trade my bikes so often that Id be buying 12 of these a year. I personally just find many of these tools too small and frigidity. I brought a Backcountry Research strap which is great for the essentials. Saddle bags, back packs, bum bag, swat style knicks, jersey with pockets or container in the bottle cage all work.
On my FS bike the bottle cage is under the downtube which makes it completely useless. As a result I have to take a back pack for water- its just easy to throw in a multitool, co2 canister and spare tube- phone, keys and wallet. On the SS- there are two cages for water and pump, BR strap for tube and tool and pockets for phone, wallet and snake bandage in Summer or simply wear a backpack.

Now a lock on ESI chunky would be a treat........

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hey JD - what FS are you riding now?

Like I said earlier, I see merit in the pump with the tools inside, more good stuff to have on you should things go tits up & it's extremely transportable between bikes.

I was going to approach MBDirect for a deal on this package but BK might be ruining it for the lot of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The One Up is a cool solution to a problem that doesnt really exist- IMO. Dont get me wrong- its a really nice piece of kit. Also I sell/trade my bikes so often that Id be buying 12 of these a year.
Ahahahaha! Thats a good call. ;)

I was going to approach MBDirect for a deal on this package but BK might be ruining it for the lot of us
Bloody go for it, they are good people and would love to hear from the Rotorburn folks. Don't let the construed actions of one person deter from chasing the things you want.

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
how's the tool to use? in particular the chain breaker. sometimes they are woeful when they get too compact.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
how's the tool to use? in particular the chain breaker. sometimes they are woeful when they get too compact.
I agree, the smaller something is when you need to force it (like breaking a chain) the harder it is. This little rig uses the allen key as commonly seen on other tools and while it is very small, it does work okay. I had to break a ten speed link with it before I even fitted the top cap device and it was a little fiddly but worked as you'd expect.

nickg78

Likes Dirt
I installed the One Up EDC the other week, really like it.

I have the tap tool available if anyone wants to borrow it.
Im in the eastern suburbs of sydney.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I bought the tool - now to buy the pump:

It's a pretty impressive bit of industrial design. Certainly the most complete tool solution I've come across.

But it does need to come with some rudimentary instructions - even showing how to snap the tool out of the holder. Yes there are online vids but when you get it you want to pull it apart right then & there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I bought the tool - now to buy the pump:

It's a pretty impressive bit of industrial design. Certainly the most complete tool solution I've come across.

But it does need to come with some rudimentary instructions - even showing how to snap the tool out of the holder. Yes there are online vids but when you get it you want to pull it apart right then & there!
I too am waiting on the pump to come into stock, it'll be a good accessory to the kit.
I'm hearing you; the initial "Errr, how do I get it out of the cylinder?" thing got me too but the simple design made it pretty obvious. Good to hear you're impressed with it, I reckon the finish is really excellent.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just lost my tool after the cap came off my bottle cage kit

so considering a new tool

Anyone in Melbourne got the tap tool?

Gets a bit expensive as I have 3 bikes, so 3 x top cap kits

Looks like its the only hidden tool that has a chainbreaker

I9 does, but only certain axle specific applications

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
just lost my tool after the cap came off my bottle cage kit

so considering a new tool