OneUp Dropper Post

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah sure do. Shimano brand I think. Never noticed if it’s smells fantastic or not though.
No there’s definitely a fault. Literally a bees dick turn of the Allen key to tighten the seat clamp will bind it up.
That's weird, sounds rooted.

I think peoples experience of how easy this dropper is or isn’t to install might have a lot to do with their frame and routing. My frame has some tight bends and tight entry into the frame so it’s easy to mess with the actuator if you move the post up and down.
I will say the Evil was a bit of a bastard with a very tight turn up into the seat tube. But I was really referencing the actual connection etc. So much easier than a KS Lev for example.

The other thing I'll say regarding all the comments on using the outer to actuate the system instead of the inner was that I didn't even notice. I have literally never had a OneUp component fail. Seems like others have but so far I'm super happy they've always been rock solid for me.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
After owning mine for 2 mths, it's started, goes down fine, but going back up, it doesn't go all the way.
I ride a Yeti SB5, internal routing, so I am wondering whether cabling inside has restricted it
If it's a warranty job, maybe MTB Direct might credit me and I'll go for a Fox Transfer Kashima :O we'll find out soon I guess.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
So I've come home, re-tried the dropper, it now works - I have a hunch that the internal cable was getting caught and somehow has untangled itself, possible movement from bars, who knows

Jpez

Down on the left!
What about going with a PNW dropper? Similar money and great reviews.
That’s exactly what I ended up with. Loving it so far. Smooth,seems like great quality and does exactly as advertised on the tin.
And it’s also pretty cheap too.
So far really impressed.
False alarm... started to play up again this morning :(
In my experience I found when the cable got snagged it would sag as the mechanism is being actuated by the snagged cable pulling.
I thought it a bit strange and not cable related when you described it not going up to full height.
Get on onto MTB direct and im sure they’ll sort you right out.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So I've come home, re-tried the dropper, it now works - I have a hunch that the internal cable was getting caught and somehow has untangled itself, possible movement from bars, who knows
It certainly sounds like the mechanism on the bottom of the post is being actuated, sounds very much like the cable is fouling somewhere and not releasing to its full extension. Keep trying to find the source of that with the cable, I'll bet a Kit Kat that its the problem.

Jpez

Down on the left!
It certainly sounds like the mechanism on the bottom of the post is being actuated, sounds very much like the cable is fouling somewhere and not releasing to its full extension. Keep trying to find the source of that with the cable, I'll bet a Kit Kat that its the problem.
If the post is going up and staying up just shy of it’s destinanation then I don’t think it’s the cable.
When the cable gets snagged it’s like effectively having your thumb on the trigger where the post wants to go up but will also sag back down again with pressure on the seat.
Happy to be wrong though as it’s an easy fix.
Can we share the kit Kat whoever is right?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If the post is going up and staying up just shy of it’s destinanation then I don’t think it’s the cable.
When the cable gets snagged it’s like effectively having your thumb on the trigger where the post wants to go up but will also sag back down again with pressure on the seat.
Happy to be wrong though as it’s an easy fix.
Can we share the kit Kat whoever is right?
Of course, you're right. You get two fingers (ahem) of the Kit Kat.
Thinking more into it, sounds like the air pressure may need a check. You can put between 250 psi and 300 psi, more air means it'll return faster. Give that a try @doihoi

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Of course, you're right. You get two fingers (ahem) of the Kit Kat.
Thinking more into it, sounds like the air pressure may need a check. You can put between 250 psi and 300 psi, more air means it'll return faster. Give that a try @doihoi
@Dozer last night it extended fully, no worries, I know it has enough pressure cause when it extends, it makes a sound that it's hit bump stop, it's almost sounds like I have too much pressure.
I'll keep you guys updated.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
@Dozer last night it extended fully, no worries, I know it has enough pressure cause when it extends, it makes a sound that it's hit bump stop, it's almost sounds like I have too much pressure.
I'll keep you guys updated.
Hmmm, interesting. Keen to hear what you come up with, thanks for the updates.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I had issues with mine not fully extending and taking quite a bit of weight to get it to go down when fully extended. I had greased the hell out of it too. From any other position other than fully extended it operates perfectly despite the housing actuation rather than cable.

I would prefer cable actuation like I had on RF Turbine R but I wanted the extra drop (pre the 175mm version).

OneUp warrantied it no questions asked.

Just installed the replacement...literally 45 mins ago.. has side to side play. Annoying. Have emailed OneUp...again.

Hopefully a good outcome... dealing with OneUp has been A+ I'm just getting a bit annoyed. My RF Turbine R (basically a Fox transfer) was perfect but at time only 150mm was available.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
@northvanguy Mine is currently with the mech, he had a play with it and said it's possible the cartridge may be faulty and the internal cable is fine. If it is, I'll hit up mtb direct and organise a replacement.

Did you buy it from mtb direct? If so, I've read they may be able to do store credit and you could get the RF?

Jpez

Down on the left!
@northvanguy Mine is currently with the mech, he had a play with it and said it's possible the cartridge may be faulty and the internal cable is fine. If it is, I'll hit up mtb direct and organise a replacement.

Did you buy it from mtb direct? If so, I've read they may be able to do store credit and you could get the RF?
If it’s a warranty job MTB Direct Will give you a credit for the value.
I used the credit towards a PNW Bachelor post on my warranty.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt

Brand new post goes up and down perfectly... it's the lateral play that the warrantied one didn't have that annoys me.

I bought direct from OneUp which i gambled on based on all the great reviews... should have known better with dropper posts.

I really blame RF as when sent in my 175mm Turbine all they could offer at the time was a Turbine R 150mm. I even asked if a 175mm version was on the cards and they said no... not 4 weeks later they released it but I had sold the Turbine R to buy the OneUp ..

doihoi

Likes Dirt
@northvanguy spewing about your situation. On a good note, OneUp offer 2 years warranty :O wowser that is a long time for a dropper. I banked on the reviews for the OneUp as well but at the time couldn't justify spending $600 on a Fox Transfer Kashima including lever.

I do have ask, and for other readers too, do you spray fork juice on the dropper stanchions? I've been told and read it's a no no for shock, fork, and post. Interested to hear your thoughts

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Nope don't spray anything... just a bit of grease under the collar as suggested by OneUp.

Haven't rode the OneUp replacement yet so will give it a month or two and see if the lateral play gets worse.

Ya the RF situation was annoying. Had a 150mm turbine which warrantied to a 175mm Turbine which warrantied to a 150mm turbine r (transfer). Sold to buy the OneUp and have warrantied one of those... so on my 5th post in 16 months.

Maybe it's me!

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
@northvanguy spewing about your situation. On a good note, OneUp offer 2 years warranty :O wowser that is a long time for a dropper. I banked on the reviews for the OneUp as well but at the time couldn't justify spending $600 on a Fox Transfer Kashima including lever.

I do have ask, and for other readers too, do you spray fork juice on the dropper stanchions? I've been told and read it's a no no for shock, fork, and post. Interested to hear your thoughts
And 3 days after I get my OneUp warranty now they announce longer versions!!! Haha I can't win.