ONLY $12 for MAXXIS DH Tubes 26 x 2.5/2.7

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
what's this bollocks?!

I know this is in the Sponsors Specials forum but....

it's one thing for importers/stores to pop on the forum in response to a question or promote a particular sale they are having

but this is an everyday product that all shops have access to, does it really warrant this sort of post?

and yes, i do know 'who's who in the zoo' here....

sorry if i'm being unreasonable

Last edited:

CELL Bikes

Likes Dirt
I know this is in the Sponsors Specials forum but....

it's one thing for importers/stores to pop on the forum in response to a question or promote a particular sale they are having

but this is an everyday product that all shops have access to, does it really warrant this sort of post?

and yes, i do know 'who's who in the zoo' here....

sorry if i'm being unreasonable
G'day MrCove,

Sorry if I've ruffled any feathers in here...we're just running out some tyres and tubes and some shoes for a special price...so we thought since they were specials...we'd post them here.

If anyone from Farkin admin thinks this is unreasonable, I'd be happy to follow whatever rules you guys would make.

However, this area does state: "Vendors with banner ads currently running on Farkin can advertise their specials and discounted items in this forum."

We only have 7 of these tubes for this price...and $12 each, with only 7 left, is this not a 'SPECIAL' ? I only want to do what is fair, but don't get me wrong, we don't plan on posting our entire product listing up in here and if the issue is having 3 posts, we can consolidate...is that the real issue here...or is it something else?

Cheers,

CELL Bikes (mark)

Last edited:

CELL Bikes

Likes Dirt
blimey, all this for $84!!!
times are hard...
are you having a bad day mate?

we're just trying to sell some tubes at a cheap price so that maybe some riders who don't have a lot of cash, or maybe need some tubes can buy some at a cheap (special) price. also, we get to clear out more stock so there's less things to count for stock take. also, you may think it's just $84, but try multiplying that by 1,000 which is including all the outlets we use to let people know of specials & discounts we're doing.

why do you have a problem with that? who are we hurting or bothering by doing this except you for some reason?

what do you consider worthy of posting in here? is there a certain dollar amount to be made by a company before they should post something here? or should it only be certain products? you seem to be inferring something which you either don't want to say or don't know how to say. please let us know what you want to make you happy with detail please.

why don't you just write down the rules that you want sponsors to follow and we'll have a look.

does anyone besides MrCove have any (reasonable) objections to us posting specials on here?

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
are you having a bad day mate?

we're just trying to sell some tubes at a cheap price so that maybe some riders who don't have a lot of cash, or maybe need some tubes can buy some at a cheap (special) price. also, we get to clear out more stock so there's less things to count for stock take. also, you may think it's just $84, but try multiplying that by 1,000 which is including all the outlets we use to let people know of specials & discounts we're doing.

why do you have a problem with that? who are we hurting or bothering by doing this except you for some reason?

what do you consider worthy of posting in here? is there a certain dollar amount to be made by a company before they should post something here? or should it only be certain products? you seem to be inferring something which you either don't want to say or don't know how to say. please let us know what you want to make you happy with detail please.

why don't you just write down the rules that you want sponsors to follow and we'll have a look.

does anyone besides MrCove have any (reasonable) objections to us posting specials on here?
ok, i'll rise to it, with your classic pub fight opener of "you having a bad day, mate" how could i resist.

so, we will start with the tubes, reg retail on these would be 15-20 $'s, if you or anyone else wants to sell them for a much cheaper price that's their right, it's up to them
however, it's a product that is open to any shop to buy at w/sale, so anyone who has these in stock now has someone coming in saying, i can get them for 12bucks what a rip off etc etc.
this is where the problem starts
So then shops stop buying them, the w'saler can't meet his buying requirement because people aren't buying them, he can't get them at the price he got them before, the product them becomes more expensive, all the while the message you've sent out is, "bikeshops just want to rip you off, there markup is 100%, etc etc etc"

now, if a shop has some larger $ items in, they have their money tied up in that, season starts to change, financial year changes, next years model comes out
now to stay in business they have to sell their product, bike models have a finite shelf life, whereas a tube is a tube this year and next year and the year after that

ok next, so then there are shops selling high end items, competing for price, advertising that they will beat any price, this is different again, someone selling brand X's $4000 bike for $3000 isn't going to affect the day to day running of a regular bike shop, it's a market that not many shops can be in, the ones that can have to get in quick with forward order buying power then sell asap. That's the game they are in.

and please please please don't use the arguement that you are doing people a favour

ok, that's my arguement, as for my 'bad day' it went like this
got up about 8, coffee in bed, got up, mucked about on the net a little then got into some uni work, went for a ride, met up with a few people and talked shit for a bit, came home looked at more uni work then someone came round with some roof racks for me, chatted a while, cleaned my bike, NOW FOR THE BAD BIT, i can't find my velcro straps i use to attach my lights properly, tragic eh!!

CELL Bikes

Likes Dirt
ok, i'll rise to it, with your classic pub fight opener of "you having a bad day, mate" how could i resist.

so, we will start with the tubes, reg retail on these would be 15-20 $'s, if you or anyone else wants to sell them for a much cheaper price that's their right, it's up to them
however, it's a product that is open to any shop to buy at w/sale, so anyone who has these in stock now has someone coming in saying, i can get them for 12bucks what a rip off etc etc.QUOTE]

hahaha...just to get one thing straight mate, I'm not responding to this with any hostility whatsover (so if any is perceived, then my bad), I hope we're having a (n improperly located) discussion with 2 different views and opinions. There's only love coming from me, but I'm trying to let you know where I'm coming from, while seeing what you have to say.

As far as the tubes, usually sell them for the same price as The Bike Shed, so what's the problem? And we're not trying to undercut all of Australia, we're just trying to get rid of 7 tubes.

Also, if you think we're trying to make people go out of business, you better wake up and think about Pro Bike Kit, Wiggle, and everyone else in the U.K. and elsewhere. They're profiting and making money in Australia because some suppliers here tend to have very healthy mark-ups. We pay the same wholesale cost as everyone else. If we get a better price, it's because we bought 1,000 of something and got a quantity discount. We don't have huge markups on our products, we just prefer turnover.

All I know is, a lot of people love us because we try to have the lowest prices we can, because we do want to get more people riding and make cycling more affordable. If you don't want to believe that, I think that says something more about you, not us.

If you want to hate Online Bike Shops that have cheaper prices, then there's nothing I can do to change that, if you want to voice your predjudices, why don't you just start a rant in a General Discussion forum.

If we took business advice from you, we'd still be a 2 person shop in Arcliffe...we now have more than 20 employees...have plans on expanding...and are looking to sponsor some riders in the very near future...could we do that if we weren't concerned about clearing stock, having specials of any kind and did advertising in places like Rotorburn?

When the thousands of customers we have start telling us to raise our prices, we'll listen to you...however the economy and people's wallets tell us otherwise...hope you found those velcro straps...if not i'll do you a deal...

By the way, if anyone from the Bike Shed reads this, just know that we send every customer that needs serious equipment to you guys, as we think there's room for everyone in the bike business and that when someone is very good at what they do, you let them do it. We actually don't stock a lot of serious off-road bike gear because we know you guys ARE mountain biking online in Australia! (except for 7 tubes that we're trying to get rid off)

Last edited:

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
MrCove, you need to be aware that the simple scheme of advertising products on sale is a major way of getting people to just click the link and become aware of the shop. Until today I had no idea who Cell Bikes are; now I do. Marketing is done in many more ways than the simple advertising campaign. Sales are a great way of making consumers aware of a shops presence in the market.:)

CELL Bikes

Likes Dirt
MrCove, you need to be aware that the simple scheme of advertising products on sale is a major way of getting people to just click the link and become aware of the shop. Until today I had no idea who Cell Bikes are; now I do. Marketing is done in many more ways than the simple advertising campaign. Sales are a great way of making consumers aware of a shops presence in the market.:)
Great post, especially since I need a camera! If I werent' about to pay a bond on a new place to live, I'd be pm'ing you post haste...if that's still avail next paycheck, you might be hearing from me.

-mark