Opinions on 06 Bighit III

Az

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

Looking a purchasing one of these in the next week.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06BigHit

RRP is $3899-

Was also looking at the new DH comp, but giant is out of my size till mid feb......

Another other suggestions. (not a Kona!!) It would be a all round dh/fr rig. Some racing, regular trips to buller and some jumps, drops and mucking around type stuff. Also needs to be a pretty mainstream brand as I work in a shop and are looking to get hooked up for the right price ;)

Thanks Az

Plow King

Little bit.
yeah doesn't look to bad at all, great spec.

the only thing i dont like about it is the frame, i reckon it looks extremly ugly

cheers

MTBWANNABE

Banned
what about the Specialized Enduro SX trail II? (i'm not sure the RRP but i'm pretty sure they're closer to 6k.. don't take my word for it tho!)

They seem fkin' awsome all round bike? and looks the goods too.. comes great out of the box.. DHX-5.0.. Fox 36 vanilla R..Juicy 7's.. Holzfeller gear.. chain guide.. x-0 :cool: etc. - http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12890

Or what about Rocky Mountain Switch S3.. DHX-5.0.. 66r's.. diabolous running gear.. etc. (another favourite..) dunno the rrp of this either.. sorry

Giant faith 1.. 05/06 RRP $4500 (i think) is an also amazing build. DHX-4.0.. 66Rc's.. Diabolous gear.. etc. (maybe one to deff look into.. absolutely awsome build and close to the big hits price with a lot more decent stuff..)

Otherwise i would go with the big hit.. i own one (older one) and i love it to bits.. the 06 has a great spec at an amazing price..

hope this helps..
kev

Az

Likes Dirt
sx trail is a little out of my price range.................other wise would be leaning towards that.

Faith is OK, but the direction that the swingarm moves means that that it wacks me in the calf off drops. Maybe I just have my legs in an odd position!!

Not a fan of the Rocky Mountains, plus cant get em through the shop!!

MTBWANNABE

Banned
hahaha.. fair enough.. thought i'd try :p

what about building up a bike through your shop? you could easily build a farkin good bike under 4k.. especially with discounts from zee shop..

Well good luck i guess..
Kev

udi

swiss cheese
I would probably stick with the bighit.

While it's not the flagship dh bike anymore, and you miss out on the cool monocoque etc, you still get a proven suspension design, and it still looks pretty sorted geometry wise (quite similar to the old one) - if the figures they give are accurate. Oh and a 26" wheel now of course.

14.25" BB height, 17" chainstays, 66* HA. Similar toptube length to the old one, same wheelbase lengths etc. The only thing i'm not sure about frame wise is the weight of the new frame/shock. The old combo is about 10.8lbs with a swinger 4-way/steel spring.

The buildkit as stock would be a bit heavy I imagine but it's kitted out with pretty nice parts. The 888VF won't feel too bad after some TLC, flat crowns included, 8" Juicy Fives, Sram micro cage X9, etc etc.

I'd say get a ride on one, see what you think, and then go for it.

THE CHENZ

Likes Dirt
Scott Nitrous????

There is a Nitrous 20 Model being imported!!
Scott has a great design in the style you seek!!!!!!
The Scott Nitrous 20 retails for $3499- !!!!!!!!!
Check the Scott mtb site for spec.!!
:D

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
MTBWANNABE said:
what about the Specialized Enduro SX trail II?
This would be my choice over the Bighit. I was looking at them both yesterday at JT's in Adelaide and the Enduro has the edge.. big time.

Go the Enduro.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
hmm bike shed demo 9 $4199. id know which id be taking...

(ps. look in the trading post for their ads)

and guy about scott nitrous 20? is there any going to melb?

DH_Freak

Likes Dirt
as said before. the frame is very ugly i personally liked the 05 model alot better but others may have a different opinion but then again if it rides well get it have a test ride before you buy and if its comfortable your set but if not id go the demo 9 from bike shed!