Organ Donation.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Parts 'n stuff kind of seems appropriate.

There's only a couple of people on here that know what I went through last year but in a bizarre coincidence I lost the two people I loved most to complications from kidney failure. My Mum died in January then my partner in November. There is a good chance that a kidney could have saved Kylie. She refused one from me and her Mum saying that one would come up and she didn't want us potentially wasting one of ours when her body had already rejected one donated kidney. One didn't come up.

Most of the people on here would have awesome spare parts, we are mostly fit and look after ourselves. Maybe there's a few livers that might get rejected but most other bits would be awesome in the spare parts tub.

Please consider donating your organs when you've finished with them, they aren't going to do anyone any good as ash.

https://donatelife.gov.au/register-donor-today

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Shit run dude, sorry to hear

For what it's worth, me and mine don't intend to hang onto anything that could be deemed useful once we're done. Seems a no brainer, can't really fathom why anyone would have an issue giving away organs you don't need anymore?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm not convinced much left will be useful, but if anyone wants to have a crack at it they can knock their socks off. Hell, med students can have a poke around the corpse if they want too. So long as they burn what's left over, the mouldering in the ground thing gives me the creeps...

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I'm a registered donor and I won't need them when I'm gone. It's not as easy as one might think to be in the situation to be a donor. With a kidney you can donate and still live of course but with other organs you pretty much have to be on a life support machine to make it viable. I once thought that heaps of people die each day there should be plenty of donors so long as people register but there is a very small window where organ donation is possible so the more that register the better. Also tell your family your wishes!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Sorry for your losses @Freediver - your partner sounds like a very brave person.

I know a work colleague that got a new heart last year - fit and healthy guy in his early forties, just born with a dicky heart which was manageable up until the end of 2018 when it rapidly deteriorated to about 5% function. I guess he was probably high up on the recipient list given his likelihood of survival, but he still needed someone to donate a heart. Seeing him bounce back to the fit and healthy dad that he was before his decline has been a nice transition to observe.

Registered donor here too, if there's anything left that's worth recycling - more mileage behind me than what's left to go.

Last edited: