Other spirits

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A wee thread to roundup the other drinks besides whisky & rum (with their own threads) that burners are enjoying, however that may be. Mixed, on ice, neat, perhaps an intercontinental adaptation, what is it?

Myself presently is some plain old cognac, neat.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
If you're enjoying cognac give an armagnac a crack. More fruit flavour and more flavour from the wood. They have to use a particular type of French oak which adds a vanilla flavour. I don't know why people drink cognac when armagnac is available at around the same price.
While we are on french things, have you given calvados a go?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I can't keep up with the explosion of gins. Preferred it as a young 20s kid when everyone else drank midori. Back then it was beefeater, gordons and even bombay was a latecomer.

Runs with the bait...

Seriously though, how does this taste? Is it a fairly standard gin flavour or something unique?
Foolish me and my New Years resolution.

I haven't sampled many gins, however given the origin and combinations of the botanicals it suggests to me it may be unique in flavour, whether I can tell is another matter.

Ugly Betty, the Lomond still, is the only authentic Lomond still remaining. I guess this brings a uniqueness to the gin as well.

Either you cut it, I really like it. I give it 5 stars.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can't keep up with the explosion of gins. Preferred it as a young 20s kid when everyone else drank midori. Back then it was beefeater, gordons and even bombay was a latecomer.
Hmmmm...sounds a bit different to my youth. We were into "bin juice". Where you spend all school term stealing small amounts of alcohol. Shot by shot you build up a good stash of spirits, maybe a wine or two, and possibly even some beers. Mix it all together on a big bucket and hide the hideous concoction under raspberry cordial or pineapple juice. It's a classy way to roll and pulls the chicks.

Foolish me and my New Years resolution.

I haven't sampled many gins, however given the origin and combinations of the botanicals it suggests to me it may be unique in flavour, whether I can tell is another matter.

Ugly Betty, the Lomond still, is the only authentic Lomond still remaining. I guess this brings a uniqueness to the gin as well.

Either you cut it, I really like it. I give it 5 stars.
You stick with that resolution. You'll be a better person for it. Gin sounds like a unique outcome is inevitable.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've found gin to be the easiest to tell apart compared to other spirits. Love a good whiskey/whiksy, can love to compared them side by side, but most of the time it's good or bad style evaluation. With gins, I can pretty much poinpoint the main brands from single tasting. The botanicals they use vary considerably.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks like the kind of mojito they serve in a brothel at 3am when they have run out of rum and are confident you aren't going to leave.

Mmm nice, smells great too, trying one now, didn't have any mint cordial so used fresh mint and some lemon cordial for a bit of sugar.
Try Coles for the Barkers range of cordials (includes the one I mentioned).

They are low on sugar, if you want some sugar better off with adding simple sugar syrup ( try dan Murphy) but don't go overboard with it lest Ye rob the drink of the flavour of the botanicals.

stirk

Burner
Try Coles for the Barkers range of cordials (includes the one I mentioned).

They are low on sugar, if you want some sugar better off with adding simple sugar syrup ( try dan Murphy) but don't go overboard with it lest Ye rob the drink of the flavour of the botanicals.
We buy the bickfords cordial, I assume you have auto misinterpret setting turned on your phone?

It's a nice cocktail kept tart, I don't like really sweet stuff.

Pimm's and dry is doing great during summer also, spice it up with all manner of fruit, herbs etc, hard to go wrong really.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've nothing to add on the gins, tanqueray or b.saphire have always done the trick! Gordon's has slightly better memories than beefeater but not by much.

Still off the rums, ports and fortified and on cognacs, run of the mill Hennessey & Remy Martin (dry dry dry). But good for midnight meanderings with the dog.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I'm currently in Paris and need to mix an Aqua Velva. I've managed to find the blue curaçao but I know nothing of gin and vodka. What's something cheap yet palatable suitable for my cocktail needs?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Tanqueray is a good go to gin if you have taste buds. Blue sapphire is not bad either. Likely you'll find brands not readily known to our shores as well. Pick something dry.

Vodka is yuck. Just double up the gin. Absolute or smirnoff are pretty common for cocktails. Grey goose is a few more dollars. Ummm more brands of vodka than you can poke a stick at. Just close your eyes and grab one. Did I mention vodka is yuck?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've nothing to add on the gins, tanqueray or b.saphire have always done the trick! Gordon's has slightly better memories than beefeater but not by much.

Still off the rums, ports and fortified and on cognacs, run of the mill Hennessey & Remy Martin (dry dry dry). But good for midnight meanderings with the dog.
Step it up...get something with an xo in the name.