Our rotten healthcare system.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I have platinum extras for the whole family, this gets us dental, optical, physio etc for free and then 80% off further treatments.

When I came to Oz, 3 months before I was 30, my rebate was ticking down. At 40 when I realised it was going to save me money at Tax time, it was $5k for the family... I'll look it at next year. Its now nearly $8k for the 4 of us and I probably will never have it now.

I was diagnosed with stage 1, low grade prostate cancer in December... which I was expecting at some stage but maybe not 49-50 due to a family history.

PSA was 0.9 at 48yrs old, creeping up to 1.5 at 48.5(DRE), 2.1 at 49(DRE&MRI), 2.8 at 49.5(DRE and test PSA 3 months later) and 3.5 one month before my 50th(Prostate Biopsy). Which revealed low grade cancer in both sides of my prostate.

The treatment I have selected is called Robotic Nerve Sparing Radical Prostatectomy, which is not covered by private hospital. The free treatment available on public and private is the regular surgical procedure. Private hospital will cover the hospital stay but not the operation.

Regular prostatectomy where you are cut open takes a longer time to recover from, a longer hospital stay, more chance of infection, more bleeding and arguably the robotic is more precise, allowing a better chance of maintaining potency and continence.

Luckily the early stage detection of mine lets me have a nerve sparing procedure, which means in time, could be immediately, could be up to a year, I will be back to pre op potency and continence. In the mean time, they will supply me the blue tablets if needed ;)

The nerve sparing enables you to still get a random stiffy as usual but these nerves need to be cut off the prostate gland and can get a little bit annoyed getting disturbed and take time to recover... though as the the urologist says, this sample is from 50-69yr olds, being 50 I might have no issues.

So rather than an argument about the system, this is more a post to tell you burners to get a PSA blood test and get your fucking prostate checked !

This cancer is 100% survivable if got at an early stage. I have an appointment with the robotic surgeon tomorrow... 'walnut' removal imminent.
Just read this now, that rollercoaster ride would not have been fun. Get healthy and back on the bike!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I feel attacked! Actually I feel encouraged. I know I need to get some checks, been denying it but now I'm also 50. My poo stick hasn't arrived yet.
I got a letter to say 'now I'm 50' the test will sent out soon.
Nearly too late, many people have full blown bowel cancer before they reach 50.
My doc was doing me every 2 yrs from 40... I had to pay about $50 for it.
Any burners here in your 40's, go get one done ASAP just for piece of mind.
Dont forget the PSA too :)

safreek

I got a letter to say 'now I'm 50' the test will sent out soon.
Nearly too late, many people have full blown bowel cancer before they reach 50.
My doc was doing me every 2 yrs from 40... I had to pay about $50 for it.
Any burners here in your 40's, go get one done ASAP just for piece of mind.
Dont forget the PSA too :)
Very true. I dodged the tests after 50 and only found out I had it after having a back scan after a big fall. Fucken lucky to have a good doctor who spotted it in the scan, previous doctor totally missed it.
I don't tell people much about the struggle at work at anything, only nameless faceless people on rotorburn as they are old enough to be dying without knowing it. Good luck man

ozzybmx

Very true. I dodged the tests after 50 and only found out I had it after having a back scan after a big fall. Fucken lucky to have a good doctor who spotted it in the scan, previous doctor totally missed it.
I don't tell people much about the struggle at work at anything, only nameless faceless people on rotorburn as they are old enough to be dying without knowing it. Good luck man
Thanks ! Glad you got yours sorted too. I know loads of blokes over 50 that haven't even done their free test.

I've been pretty open with it to friends and workmates, thinking if I can get one other bloke to go get tested and catch it early, its worth it.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It will be an eeb... I'll just quietly get it and say nothing ;)
We'll know when you start selling all your meat-powered bikes 'without reason'. ;)

Glad things are heading in the right direction for your health-wise ozzy. :)

ozzybmx

Yeah, unfortunately the few I told started to treat me like a carton of eggs, fucken irritating when people treat you like an invalid.
Thats shit. Mate I'm healthy, most of the people I know think I'm a riding piss head.... love my beers and bikes.
I am going to do a public FakeBook post telling my male friends about my shit.
If I can get one bloke diagnosed early stage, I have done my deed.

Won't stop either, new mission is to all blokes to get bowel and prostate.

ausdb

Being who he is
Thats shit. Mate I'm healthy, most of the people I know think I'm a riding piss head.... love my beers and bikes.
I am going to do a public FakeBook post telling my male friends about my shit.
If I can get one bloke diagnosed early stage, I have done my deed.

Won't stop either, new mission is to all blokes to get bowel and prostate.
No need for fakebook posts, 50 was few years ago for me and I think you've convinced/scared me enough to get tested.
All the best with your treatment and recovery (and FIL if you decide to get rid of the Cotic ;) )

ozzybmx

Looks bloody sensational... but its a half baked eeb. 430w battery and 60nm fazua.

Im looking at a full cream bike for one purpose, fast laps of the new Melrose trails... epic loop, Willowie cop out, Whiskey tour and Simons.

Short list is looking like.

Ibis oso 85nm/750w
Levo expert 85nm/700w
Rocky Mountain powerplay 105nm/720w

Will speak to OTE in the next couple if weeks.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Looks bloody sensational... but its a half baked eeb. 430w battery and 60nm fazua.

Im looking at a full cream bike for one purpose, fast laps of the new Melrose trails... epic loop, Willowie cop out, Whiskey tour and Simons.

Short list is looking like.

Ibis oso 85nm/750w
Levo expert 85nm/700w
Rocky Mountain powerplay 105nm/720w

Will speak to OTE in the next couple if weeks.
The rm drive wheel system does my head in but I'm sure Bronte will tell you all about it and there's something about ibis that I don't love...
I'm sure Garry will let you ride his

ozzybmx

The rm drive wheel system does my head in but I'm sure Bronte will tell you all about it and there's something about ibis that I don't love...
I'm sure Garry will let you ride his
I know Patto was getting the Med oso, already booked a test ride.

Jase is going to sort me out a demo Levo. Every reviewer on the net has the Levo in their top 3. Never ridden one but it's coming, soon.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Ibis oso 85nm/750w
Bit of a shame they went with such a bland paint scheme on them.

Really strong metallic and some contrasting stripes/details (like the blue/orange Ripmo) would've flattered the curves on that frame a lot more IMO.