Ourimbah DH Round 2 Sunday 23 May - CANCELLED. 30 May ALSO CANCELLED

T-Rex

Template denier
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, CCOMTB has decided to cancel the club race this Sunday. After a track inspection today, the new section of track is clearly too soft to ride with all the rain we have had lately. At this time of year, and with the forecast of more showers, we don't believe it is going to get the chance to dry out, and running a race on it will cause significant damage to all the hard work that has been put into it over the past few weeks.

We considered running the race on the old Switchback track, but given the excellent alternative of a race at Del Rio on the State Series track on the same day, Sunday 23 May, we didn't think Switchies would hold much appeal.

Here's the details of how to get to Del Rio:

http://www.wsmtb.com/v2/downhill.html

Last edited:

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
damn.............will the alternate round be in a couple of weeks or just go strait to 3rd round

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Re-scheduling

Please don't put the catch up round in July - I have just booked an operation in for new Cornea's (eyes) because there was nothing in that month. Damn my rain dancing was just too hot..........

scottie2069

Likes Dirt
Little bit of wet mud shuts a race diown. Are we racing DH or go karts????

Lame
agree!!!
track was all good till the bottom new jumps (which i stayed off cause i new they were soft) this arvo, bunt them off n take it onto the old finish n you wont have a problem!

SLEDGER

Likes Dirt

Lame
Simon please don't post this response it is more painful to stop a scheduled race then let it happen.

We are respecting our asset and considering riders interest.

The buses have cancelled due to the storms forecasted to come in late Friday.

Regards

SLEDGER

Likes Dirt
Guys please keep off the track this weekend till after the weather has cleared up one rider went through Wednesday after noon when brad and I were standing at the bottom section and it took 25 minutes to rectify the damaged caused.

Please give the track some time to settle down and bed in.

Cheers Wayne

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was all fired up to have a go at DH this weekend, thats all. I might just go and run my own stop watches on the Switchies !!! Just for giggles.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Shorten the track maybe?

Why does the whole track( and race) need to be shut. The tracks long enough to close the last bit, so is there any chance of still running the race albeit shorter?
Also with the rain stopping for the last couple of days it might dry up if it doesn't rain again. If it does just close the end off.

T-Rex

Template denier
Ourimbah DH Round 2 now on 30 May

We have decided to move the date for Round 2 of the CCOMTB Club series to the following weekend, Sunday 30 May.

This is not ideal because it clashes with the clubbie at Awaba, and when we put the calendar together for the series we tried really hard to avoid clashes with other clubs events. Our alternative dates were:

6 June - Clashes with XC race, we would not have sufficient parking space for both events.
14 June - Clashes with State Series at Del Rio
20 June - Ourimbah DH Round 3

The other possibililty was to cancel the event altogether, however we are already at 6 events compared to 8 last year, so we figured people would rather have a race than not.

Keep your fingers crossed for some dry weather next week!

demodv8

Likes Dirt
Even if you think you can ride the track , have you ever tried to drive in when it's like this good luck if you don't have a 4WD

BKelly

teh fast

Lame
It is not the "wet mud" that caused the race to be canceled, it was the fact that the new track work that 5-6 guys over the last 4 weekends have done would have been ruined as it has not had time to settle/pack down due to all the rain and would also be really shit to ride as you would not be able to jump any of the new jumps as it would be too boggy and slow.

There is also the problem of the buses getting up and down the freshly graded bit of fire road which is also very slippery when wet at the moment and then also the cleaning of the buses ect.

Please respect the clubs decision to cancel the race and all the hard work the guys have put in to the track to benefit everyone by staying off the track until it gets some sun and dries out a bit.

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Doom and Gloom

Jaynie Seal said rain all week again........... I certainly hope not. I can't take it much longer, I need some Donuts.......

FINX74

Likes Dirt
The Question ???

I am seeking an answer to the all important question that has been bugging mankind since the dawn of time......... IS IT ON ???????
Has anyone been up to the track and checked it out ? Hopefully it has bedded in a bit between all this rain (pffft, doubt it). The forecast is for more of the watery demon - will we race a different coarse or play catch up later in the year ?

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
The way it was raining here last night and the way it is at Gosford now my guess would be they would have to call it off again, the track would be ruined.

Unless they re routed the track and ran the top section, down the switch, back out on the fire trail to shoot down to the finish, missing the newly built areas. (just an idea)