ourimbah spectator accident

sich nich

Likes Dirt
any body see or hear about the crash involving the rider that ran off the corner and hit a photographer? that photographer was my mum!
i was racing in U19s at the state round last week end and i did my first race run and went up to watch the others come down. i was standing at the road gap and some woman was down the track in the next section yelling "we need an ambulance down here" we were like "wow some one must have piled real hard down there".
any way, were all talking about how long it was taking for them to clear off so racing could resume, so i wandered down with the vidcam and asked some others what happened. "he came down and just lost it man, she just didnt move.." im like "what? hit a spectator?" jeez. i filmed the ambos doing their thing with the pile of bodies on the ground and went back up.
me and my dad were joking around saying it was prolly mum and my aunt that wandered down a few minutes previous to the crash.
my aunty then came up the hill and delivered the news.
we ran down and helped her as best we could. blood every where.
she snapped the pop up flash off her $1000 or something camera and we had to find it in the grass and dirt. she went off in an ambulance to gosford hospital and spend 7hrs there with xrays catscans and morphine.
apparently the guys rear wheel fell out of his 02 norco team race (lock nuts on the wrong side or something?). he couldnt make the corner and shot into mum who didnt know what way to go. he said he hit her and she continued to fly into a tree.
shes ok now. photos of her head in my personal album.

is the guy that hit her on this board? how are ya?
can a wheel fall out of a 02 team race?
anything like this happen to anyone?
your thoughts are in my curiosity.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
That's a bad thing to hear about when spectators get involved. Did your mum get a good shot of the guy b4 he took her out?

nhd

Likes Dirt
bad luck mate, all the best.
thats a reason i dont like standing too close to the track while taking photos. my best shot from rob roy was of socket flying over, who subsequently crashed bad..........i felt jinxed and didnt take a shot like that again.

S.

ex offender
sich nich said:
is the guy that hit her on this board? how are ya?
can a wheel fall out of a 02 team race?
anything like this happen to anyone?
your thoughts are in my curiosity.
Ouch dude, that's nasty. Hope your mum (and the guy) is ok.

A wheel shouldn't be able to "fall out" of a bike with vertical dropouts (by 02 Team Race do you mean a Team DH? white bike, instead of red?), sounds like something was seriously wrong there. It doesn't take much force to hold a wheel in vert dropouts (mainly because you're forcing it UP into the drops all the time), especially when you have derailleurs and disc brakes adding a liiiittle extra friction to hold it in. Unless the axle broke or something (not likely with the 12mm Hadley axle), then that should not have happened.

Anyway, best wishes to your mum.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Wow, I heard about this from a mate that was racing but didn't know it was this bad, I heard broken nose, is that true? I hope she's ok, hitting spectators isn't fun....