Overtraining versus Underrecovering

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Have got myself into an interesting scenario. Had a baby turn up about 6 months ago which has the usual impact on sleep and free time.

Kept riding and training but a bit more of an erratic routine.

Started to notice the impact that lack of sleep was having on my riding. Slower in the mornings and it was taking days to recover.

Anyway had a few big endurance races (Dwellingup 100 then Cape to Cape) and did well in both but I think the last broke the camels back to say.

Basically I am struggling to recover after the C2C. Been 6 months now and still riding but just for fun but the current symptoms are
  • Extended recovery periods
  • Even multi day commutes are taking their toll
  • Sore joints, muscles and archilles
  • Glucose levels in legs are almost zip, Sustained power is still good but burst has gone.
  • Persisting cold / sore throat.
  • Sore chest and lungs

Which all tick the box for over training but this def wasn't the case.

Now that the baby is sleeping I am focusing on getting my sleep from 4-6 hours per nite upto 7-8+ hours per nite.
No training rides. Occasional social MTB rides however now focusing on skills and not stamina.

Any other tips. Guessing it will be a few months of recovery?

Thanks

Pastavore

Eats Squid
It actually sounds a bit like you might have a persistent viral infection, not uncommon at all when you are sharing a house with the biological warfare factory that is a human under the age of five.

But even so, your aim of taking it easy on the bike and getting more sleep is on the money.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
It actually sounds a bit like you might have a persistent viral infection, not uncommon at all when you are sharing a house with the biological warfare factory that is a human under the age of five.

But even so, your aim of taking it easy on the bike and getting more sleep is on the money.
Same answer to either cause.

BUT, recovery isn't months, it's days. Try for good sleep (4-6 is not enough ), I'd take 2 weeks off no biking at all, and re start with say a 3hr week, then a 4 , 5 etc. Recently made the mistake myself of thinking I could do a fast hard 6 week training block for a race, and ran into knee problems in the first week - all because I stupidly jumped from 5hrs a week to 10 - end of the plan that was.

But it really does sound like you have a persistent virus. If it's in the chest with productive coughing, it will effect your riding, if it's general malaise, nonproductive cough, head cold etc, then it makes you feel shit but doesn't actually slow you down ( you feel slower, but times will not be)

Sorry, random thoughts.....not definitive

Zam

Likes Dirt
The other thing you could look at is sorting your diet out if you are taking longer to recover. I know when I've had my kids and sleep is effected so badly it does take longer to recover and you feel like you have no energy etc etc etc, but what helped me a lot of resting when you can and also cleaning up diet, making sure you get lots of good quality protein and fats with moderate carbs coming from good sources like veggies, not from stuff like pasta, bread etc....

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
The other thing you could look at is sorting your diet out if you are taking longer to recover. I know when I've had my kids and sleep is effected so badly it does take longer to recover and you feel like you have no energy etc etc etc, but what helped me a lot of resting when you can and also cleaning up diet, making sure you get lots of good quality protein and fats with moderate carbs coming from good sources like veggies, not from stuff like pasta, bread etc....
Thanks Zam
Diet is good. Lots of salads, Wide range of vegetables.
Low GI Carbs and balance of fats as well.

If it is a persistent Virus, Anything to take for it or just rest?

Zam

Likes Dirt
The other thing to remember when operating on lower sleep especially when pushing hard or exercising is your immune system can take a him which makes you susceptible to viruses etc etc, this is where the good diet comes into play but also could be worth looking into a multi vitamin, personally I prefer to stay away from stuff like this and get everything though whole foods, but in times like this could be worth looking into for short period of time and also boosting your vit C intake to see if this makes a difference.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Some evidence for zinc lozenges for cold viruses, not much else - sleep and rest is best for the immune system. Assuming you are omnivorous there is unlikely to be a shortage of anything in your diet that causes these symptoms.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Over training and under recovering goes hand in hand. If you under recover you will be over training as your capacity is decreased, if you over train you wont recover enough so you're now under recovering anyway, its pretty much the same thing its all about balance between the two.

The advice above about an infection is probably a good idea to seek out a medical professional and get some test to check.

Last edited:

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I think I know what the problem is, you are allergic to the baby...
I had the same suspicions and the doctor agreed. He prescribed additional bikes with the experience they act like an antihistamine.

I brought another two but the symptoms have not gone away.

Resting heart rate in the mornings are around 50-51. Problem is I am not sure what it is when well.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently got floored by influenza A with a bacterial bronchitis on top of it. Took me 3 months to get over it. I got so depressed I contemplating selling the bikes. Only recently got back in the saddle and was stunned at how much fitness I had retained. My point is, regardless of whether you are overtrained or infected, a good long break from cycling and getting as much sleep and rest as possible is likely to be the most beneficial approach. Hopefully you'll lose a lot less fitness than you expect.

mtb1611

Seymour
Thanks Zam
Diet is good. Lots of salads, Wide range of vegetables.
Low GI Carbs and balance of fats as well.

If it is a persistent Virus, Anything to take for it or just rest?
How old are you mate? Have you seen your GP and had a blood test?

I'm a parent myself (twin 9 year old boys) and remember thinking to myself when they were infants "I now know why the CIA uses sleep deprivation to break people...." It's extremely powerful and debilitating!

Last edited:

clance79

Likes Bikes
It might sound like I'm taking the p#ss but I read somewhere that it is common for guys to produce more estrogen (meaning a lesser ratio of testosterone) after the birth of a child- something to do with helping the bonding process, that and sleep deprivation would have to make you feel a bit flat

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Quick update.
43 years old or was it only 42.
Bp is around 126/76 (yesterday)
Resting hr around 50ish.

Been focusing on sleep and shorter more relaxed rides. Just starting to feel strength come back to legs and arms but one later nite and it all goes flat again.

Still a long road to recovery. Has a massive day yesterday and today tightness in chest is back.

driftking

Wheel size expert
It might sound like I'm taking the p#ss but I read somewhere that it is common for guys to produce more estrogen (meaning a lesser ratio of testosterone) after the birth of a child- something to do with helping the bonding process, that and sleep deprivation would have to make you feel a bit flat
Id like to see some studies on this, sounds interesting.