Oz Ryder as a name?

E-thugin

Likes Dirt
My cousin Is called Rhyder. He doesn't get giving shit. & he has a regular last name.

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
I used to go to school with a girl named Phillipa Cave. Needless to say she shortened it to Pip.

My mum teaches in a small school in an area known for alternate lifestyle types. Every year she has a smattering of kids in her class with fucked for life names. One of the last year was Ozzie (That was his full christian name - Oswald is quite different). Peaches has featured, along with Rainbow-Phoenix and her sister Sky-Dreaming, Pablo, Fuzzie, Benji, etc etc etc.

I'd tend away from Ryder. Or anything that might look or sound silly in a formal context. If it would make someone chuckle when they picked up your job application, it's probably not a good plan.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Advice (too late - eek!) is to not tell people what you are planning to call the kid. It's a hassle as you'll get heaps of opinions like in this thread. This is fine for random Farkiners as you'll never meet most of us, but if you tell your rellies and they dis a name it then gets pretty awkward if you decide to go with it.

nick_sixx

Likes Dirt
haha i know twin sisters name Lunar and Twilight.

Mate Olive Audrey is possibly the best girl's name i've heard. It sounds very, very nice. You can tell that an Olive Audrey wouldn't grow up to be a heroin addict.

Oz Ryder on the other hand......wtf? Thats the name of a serial killer.

Just don't do it.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Personally I'd like Olive Audrey better if swapped the other way round- Audrey Olive, though this may be because I'm not a massive fan of olives.

I wouldn't call him Oz, but rather Oscar, like you're favouring. Maybe call him Oz as a nickname and see how he likes it. Ryder would be a cool middle name.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
If a girl: Olive Audrey would probably be fine

If a boy: FFS just call him Oscar or something that's less likely to have him copping shit from kids at school

Oz Ryder = YEARS OF ABUSE FROM OTHER SCHOOL KIDS - for all the reasons other posters have stated.

nick_sixx

Likes Dirt
i thought i'd stop and have myself a brew...
at an old saloon on a street of mud
there at the table, dealing stud,
sat the dirty, mangy dog who named me sue...

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Well, I knew that snake was my own sweet dad
From a worn-out picture that my mother'd had,
And I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye.
He was big and bent and gray and old,
And I looked at him and my blood ran cold
And I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now your gonna die!!"

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Boy - Vincent. Strong arse name in my books. Vince and Vinny are cool abbreviated names also.
Girl - Courtney. Sounds nice.

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
Boy - Vincent. Strong arse name in my books. Vince and Vinny are cool abbreviated names also.
Girl - Courtney. Sounds nice.
Vincent's pretty cool, though in my mind he has to slick back his hair to pull the name off.
For a girl, if olive means alot to you, by all means do it, but entirely in my own opinion(Not having a go at you in any way) olive doesn't set her up to be bullied, but more 'thought differently of'.

I dont mind the name personally, but i just wanted to share my thoughts in that, Olive only really gives her a few if not one/two possible nicknames, and as far as people my age go, nickname is what everyone(More specifically guys) will know her as, and 'oli' as a nickname, doesnt really do justice what i will assume(so you dont e-pwn me) will be a gorgeous child. It is your call, and again i like the name, but just thought i'd throw it out there, if you want you're kid to have a unique, meaningful name that's great. Just remember she will inevitably get a nickname and if the name doesnt lend itself to good nicknames, she may not be 'loving it' when that's what people know her as.

Anyway best of luck,
Will.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Names should in some ways try and be a blank canvas just as a baby is when they are born. In some ways choosing a name is just that.. you don't name a girl after an ex-girfriend that broke your heart; or name a boy after some kid that bullied you. Usually the names people choose are either positive association or just free of any association.

So one day your son may end up being a geek who hates activity but may be a professor... and Prof Oz Ryder will just be dumb. He may be a dude who just rides bikes and then will think you were a cool parent naming him that... chances of that are slim though. :)

Still my son is named after two coke and crack head musicians, one who was a wife beater and the name in the US has an association with petrol pump jockeys from the south. Still it suits him here.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Stick with Oscar Riley or Olive Audrey. Great names :)

Best of luck with the kid, Samy.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
seriously good names in my opinion are:
Male:
Ed
Mick
Benno
Olly

Female:
Emma
Maddie