Oz Ryder as a name?

Samy

Likes Dirt
Ha - yeah old Pop eye and Olive Oil.

Olive is quite a classic name, and in all honesty we are pretty sure this baby will be a girl, so Oz may be safe... for now...

Other favourite names of ours include

Boys - Leo, Oscar
Girls - Milla,

Samy

Likes Dirt
But if that's the context at all, why deliberately misspell it?
Its not the context. It a name we liked, that is actually a name - spelt that way.

I don't think Rider exists as a name (with definition).

From babynames.com

The meaning of the name Oz is Strength, Courage
The origin of the name Oz is Hebrew

The meaning of the name Ryder is Knight, Mounted Warrior
The origin of the name Ryder is English

We loved these difintitions also.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Olive sounds good to me. I have a little cousin named Olivia (similar) and we call her Livy/Liv.

spoony

Likes Dirt
I am hoping for your babies sake that it is a girl

Its your decision of course, but I wouldn't. At least call the child Oscar, Osbourne, Oswald, etc if you must call it 'Oz' or Ozzie'.
Or Austin

Also reminds me of "oz striker" (not sure of spelling might be "aus striker") from the first American Pie

And you don't want your son joining jazz group

Last edited:

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
I do quite like Olive, it has a neutral feel to it,
whereas Oz, is abbreviated for a name like Oswald as you have said which is fine, as long as that is his full name,
He would be called Oz most likely anyway, that is if it is a he.

i'm just rambling now :rolleyes:

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
Anyone got names that are completely pay-out free?
Well my name is pretty pay out free..
but that might be because the last person who payed me out about my last name got a large bruise and alot more payout than I ever got.

I always liked the names

Charlotte or Alice for a girl
or Russel for a boy.

mtb1611

Seymour
The child has to live with the name. Children are very callous and will mock him. Trust me on this one......

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went to school with a bird called Olive.

Was strange at the start, but you get use to it quickly. Espcially if people call her Liv.

She was cute too! Definately name her Olive on that fact alone.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Its not the context. It a name we liked, that is actually a name - spelt that way.
I know it's a surname, I just got the impression from your earlier post that it was to do with 'riding'; your defintion would suggest that it is in fact to do with riding, but is perhaps an older, or outdated spelling.

I guess the first thing that came to mind when I saw "Oz Ryder", was the plethora of (seemingly) illiterate hip hop artists that are around today.

In anycase, think about how it sounds with your surname too, as that can have a big bearing on how a person's name presents.

Samy

Likes Dirt
She was cute too! Definately name her Olive on that fact alone.

I guess the first thing that came to mind when I saw "Oz Ryder", was the plethora of (seemingly) illiterate hip hop artists that are around today.
Ha ha - these 2 made us laugh! :D & Wombats comment was enough to let it go!

We have also come up with a good alternative,

Oscar Riley (Walshe) - and Olive Audrey is looking Ok!

Last edited:

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
Ha ha - these 2 made us laugh! :D & Wombats comment was enough to let it go!

We have also come up with a good alternative,

Oscar Riley (Walshe) - and Olive Audrey is looking Ok!
and when he/she is old you can tell them that you got advice on their name from a community of mountain bike enthusiasts.

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
Full name was Oswald. But only really known as Oz or Ozzie.

Ryder as a first name does bring up some interesting scenarios.

I thought nickname for Olive would be Liv or Livy - but this is why its good to see how other people would look at it.
I've got a mate who was christened Oswald, but everyone calls him Ossi and he prefers that. However if your grandfathers memory means so much to you, honour that memory by giving your son his full name. If you then want to shorten it fine. As for Ryder, I think enough has been said about how cruel kids can be with nicknames, so think carefully. Don't give them unnecessary ammunition.

Olive is nice, but I prefer Liv. However same principle as above, you can give her the full name and then go with the shortened version for common usuage.

emcgough

Likes Dirt
As others have said, steer clear of Ryder.

Also, Olive sounds mighty strange in my opinion... an alternative would be Olivia.

S.

ex offender
Giving kids stupid names that are likely to result in them being hassled their entire lives is a form of abuse IMO.

Seriously, "Oz Ryder"? Do you already hate the kid or something?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Seriously, "Oz Ryder"? Do you already hate the kid or something?
He may not hate him already, but he certainly doesn't seem to have considered the kids interests for a moment.

EDIT: If the names are that important to you, get them tattooed, then in ten years look at that tattoo and imagine it was your kids name... suddenly an overwhelming feeling of guilt would immerse you.

Last edited:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My first thought too, was expecting this to be a thread about wannabe rappers.

Pete J

loves his dog
Naming your child is a privilege and not some frivilous act to get a kick out of.
Giving a good solid name is one of the best things you can ever do for a child, along with loving them and teaching good manners.
None of these things will cost you anything but if you manage to screw up any of the above, the child will end up paying for it themselves for many many years.
Do him/her a favour and give them a name to be proud of. :cool: