P Plater Exceptions

Plow King

Little bit.
Seriously? Who the hell makes the decisions for these things?

I'm guessing there are a series of many 60 year old women in a room sipping on coffee, complaining about how fat they are, and how they have to borrow their eggs from chickens as they don't produce their own anymore. Seriously. E.G

Situation # 1

Marge - This guy called Steven on his green p plates with no speeding fines or crashes wants to drive a wrx around. with 240hp...
Lidia -Oh no.. no no no no no... That's far too many horsepower by golf cart has 5.. Can't he walk? When I used to get my fertile hole poounded I used to walk eveverywhere..
Marge - I agree what did you do with the knitting needles I need to knit.
Audree - WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Situation #2

Marge - Hey Lidai this girl called Stacy on her red p plates with five thousand seven hundred and fifty speeding fines and 4 crashes and one with a horse wants to drive a porche 4WD twin turbo
Lidia - Oh wow what kind of horse?
Marge - Doesn't say.. What does twin turbo mean.
Lidia - Must be the won with the twin hairdriers.
Marge - Oh how convenient.
Lidia Yes I love drying my hair so I can play bingo and get compliments from the ball picker.
Audree - Think of the children. she can fit atleast 5 in there.
Lidia - It's settled she can drive it.
Marge - OMG I just blobbed all over the floor.
Lidia/Audree - OMG IM SO JEALOUS.

Now... I'm off my p plates and I agree that some of the dickheads shouuldn't be driving anything remotely powerful as a wrx.. But depending on the circumstances. driving hsitory, speeding fines, # of years then some should be concidered. I just got my sti after 3 years of waiting. My old car shit itself 3 months prior to getting my full license and I wasn't going to buy a car for 3 months so i had to fuck around swapping cars with mum until I got my license... In the 3 years I had been dirivng I hadn't had a single accident or lost a demerit point or even had a parking fine...

*rant over*

Opinions.

Plow King

Little bit.
Nope.

Learn to drive first*.......no ifs, buts or maybes.

*Learning to drive does not equal passing the Ps test.
Just out of curiosity how many years did you have your L's, P plates for?

It takes 4 years and 120 + hours of supervised driving to learn how to drive?

Technically Lewis Hamilton would of just got off his P's Before starting to his début f1 season. With a couple of formula 3 titles under his belt.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius

Technically Lewis Hamilton would of just got off his P's Before starting to his début f1 season. With a couple of formula 3 titles under his belt.
Technically, Lewis Hamilton drove out of his mums coonch... so, maybe direct comparisons there are pointless...

plus... Lewis Hamilton is not out driving on the public farking road? is he????

sorry, this rant makes you seem a dermentor

S

Plow King

Little bit.
Ok I shouldn't of gone down that path I should stick with the stupid exceptions opinions. Cos we all know that all p players are terrible drivers and were all much better cos we have been driving for x years

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
here we go, rahh rahh who gives a fuck.

It's the law. Save ya coin and buy a hi-po car when you get off ya P's.

Plow King

Little bit.
Maybe you should read the actual thread I already have my full license. It was more a commentary on the exception rules than p players driving performance cars.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
wrote a great big post then saw Mr Plow concurs... sheesh !! Post removed ;)

"Ok I shouldn't of gone down that path I should stick with the stupid exceptions opinions. Cos we all know that all p players are terrible drivers and were all much better cos we have been driving for x years"

scblack

Leucocholic
Ok I shouldn't of gone down that path I should stick with the stupid exceptions opinions. Cos we all know that all p players are terrible drivers and were all much better cos we have been driving for x years
Why then are young people WAY OVER their statistical average for crashes and fines etc?

Statistically older drivers ARE better drivers. Any argument is pointless.

willsy01

Eats Squid

I was off my Ps before the new system came in.......i've had my license for 13 years. I do not purport to be some sort of driving demi-god either.

4 years and 120hrs of one's parents passing their bad habits down to an L plater is a LONG way from learning to drive. Frankly, i'd prefer to see those hours not counted towards the 120+ required to be eligable for the Ps test. The amount of L platers I see sitting out in the right lane in an 80 zone whilst their parents are most likely telling them to ignore the other drivers around them is frightening. The government needs to get serious with regards to the requirements for learner drivers. It's not nearly enough and it shows on the roads.

Sadly, one of the most important components of driving cannot be taught..........commonsense. It's lacking in most cases.

P platers in hipo cars is not on, regardless of how angelic you've been. I had a VL turbo when I was 19......which in this day and age would've been green Ps territory. Looking back through older, wiser eyes it was sheer lunacy that I was able to own a car like that. Shit gets out of hand in a real hurry in a car like that.

I did 40,000kms a year on Sydney roads from 2003 to 2008. The amount of sheer fuckwittery I laid eyes on was astonishing.....horrifying, even. Unfortunately, a lot of these acts had a little white square with a red/green P on it. Couple that with hipo cars and it ends in tears a lot of the time.

Yes, Lewis would've just got off his Ps when he walked into McLaren. What's your point?

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When i was 18 i had a high powered m/c and rode fast because i was such a good rider.....

Now i am 45, have kids and get pissed when people drive past in high powered whatevers, exeeding the speed limit by a lot.....

I did have a good crash on my SS on the weekend though, maybe my legs should have a power limit put on them?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meh, I agree with you to an extent Plow - but my main argument is what difference does 1, 2 or even 3 years of driving a shit car make? As a few people have said, kids mature a lot in those 3 years, and what harm does keeping them out of fast cars do?

When I first got my P's I did crazy, stupid shit which makes me cringe now, but at least it mostly wasn't on the plus side of 100-150km/h. Surely there's no argument against things like this?

But then again, I skipped almost the entirety of my green P's by moving to NZ, so I have not endured the restrictions you guys have had to. Which would probably make me biased, especially since I drive a GT-B.

Oh, and just because I'm a dick - it's exemption, not exception.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
back in my day.....we got our blacks in 1 year. we could choose not to drive a car for 12 mths while on our P's and still get our balcks at the end of it. We could also put a 5.9 V8 into a Morris Minor without too many engineering issues. We get cought once speeding or breaking the law.....we'd have to start again. Max speed was 70km/h on our L's. Max speed on our P's was 80km/h.

Although cars weren't as fast back then as they are today.....in reality. They were Death traps. Can you imagine driving a 1960 Morris Minor with a 5.9 V8 transplant?..... I doubt you'd be able to keep it straight. Even if it did bring out 150RW kw.....far out. No seat belts nothing.

They say Men don't mature until about 25......mmmm. Some kid got let off because of that because they thought he wasnt mature enough to realise his grafity was damaging property. :clap2:

Well there is part of our problem. Youth today it seems have very little respect. Us older gerneration don't give youth the respect they deserve mostly.
We also send them to war to kill on our behalf at the ripe age of 18.....but when they come back they are not allowed to drive a car or have a beer. go figure.

The absolute best part is, My wife tells me that according to her mum, Men don't mature until they hit 50......how about that, you ripper!!!! that gives me just over 5 years to muck up. yehaaaaa!!!!!

Capone

Likes Dirt
If they are well educated (numerous driving courses) at the art of driving then let them into hipo cars, however a forged log book and a couple of lessons isnt really going to equip them with the skills to handle these kind of cars. Shit happens much faster in these kind of cars, so going from mum's Barina to a worked WRX is never going to end well.

Driving is like all sports, The guys in the DH circuit didnt wake up and say im going to ride that, they mastered their craft, however we think 'got off my L's, so now i should be able to fang around in an XR6 Turbo', this all too often results on people dying.

floody

Wheel size expert
Ideal situation would be slightly fewer stupid vehicle restrictions and a policy of no exemptions.

taitt

Likes Dirt
Doesn't matter how good of a driver you are. Maturity plays a big part.

19 year old me would definitely disagree with 22 year old me, and i'm sure 30 year old me will have a different opinion once again.

moto_guy

Banned
I think they need to change the laws for driving a high powered vehicle. Just because you have a couple of years driving experience on the road in your Hyundai Excel doesn't by no means you have enough experience to stop you crashing plow kings wrx into a tree.

They need to get rid of logbooked hours because that's not even done properly most of the time and make getting your P plates cheaper.

I think if you want to drive a high powered vehicle you need to do a 2 day defensive driving course with a wet skid pan and at least one track day so you know how to handle your car if it gets loose in a safe controlled environment. If mummy and daddy are going to let you drive there twin turbo 4wd they can afford to send you to learn how not to plow it into a tree.

Nabdaddy

Likes Dirt
I get where you are coming from Plow... the problem is, you have to draw a line somewhere. I am on my last year of Greens now, and i've done advanced driving courses and what not. I rekon these should be one of the boxes a P-plater has to have ticked before they can move on to a Unrestricted license. I learnt a butt-load from that, not only did it scare the fucking shit out of me on how hard it is to control a car at speed when you dont have control, but it also taught me how long it takes to stop when you slam your brakes on flat to the floor at 50+km/h. Also the difference it makes from 30km/h --> 50km/h. It is a massive eye opener that i'd say 90% of p-platers going to blacks wouldn't experience. It definitely changed my driving style.

I agree, it is fked that they allow big engined Porsche's etc for p-platers...but can you come up with a law that would be fair on all parties but also safer for young drivers AND the others on the road. It is hard imo.

Waiting for unrestricted sucks arse...but we all have to do it. And the sad thing is...there is a lot of people out there who should never....ever get their unrestricted license.

BTW... what year STi did you get? I'm looking at one next year for when i get my Blacks :) .