Padded Shorts

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Gents,

I'm in the market for some padded shorts ... really its a liner with outer leg, hip and coccyx padding would be nice too. Would be chucking my normal riding shorts over them. Gooch padding for seat isn't important as its just for shuttle days.

Anyone used these? If so, which ones and your thoughts on them.

There seems to be quite a few on the market, currently looking at trying the POC VPD or Leatt DBX 5.0.

Cheers!

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah I use G forms. They are light, dry quickly and have padding in all the right places. The 3D0 stuff doesn't wear out like normal foam.

I tend to go for the action sports ones rather than the biking ones, as it has better padding in certain areas. I think they are intended to be used by people who do stuntman work.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Also - keep an eye out for Aldi bike gear sales. I have two pairs of their shorts with the padded liner and they're great.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Thanks fellas, I'm more curious on what people have used as impact protection and how well it did the job.

Some shorts have foam and others have hard plastic or both, so interested to see feedback.

Something like this

redbruce

Eats Squid
Also - keep an eye out for Aldi bike gear sales. I have two pairs of their shorts with the padded liner and they're great.
I find the liners are no where near as comfortable as my Fox ones.

Also the velcro on the fly closure falls apart.

They were from the last buy so maybe quality has gone down.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I find the liners are no where near as comfortable as my Fox ones.

Also the velcro on the fly closure falls apart.

They were from the last buy so maybe quality has gone down.
Funny - I never wear my Fox ones since I got the Aldi ones!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Gents,

I'm in the market for some padded shorts ... really its a liner with outer leg, hip and coccyx padding would be nice too. Would be chucking my normal riding shorts over them. Gooch padding for seat isn't important as its just for shuttle days.

Anyone used these? If so, which ones and your thoughts on them.

There seems to be quite a few on the market, currently looking at trying the POC VPD or Leatt DBX 5.0.

Cheers!
hey mate,
I have some TLD armour shorts for sale in the exchange. What size are you?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
hey mate,
I have some TLD armour shorts for sale in the exchange. What size are you?
Oh nice! I'm a 34 so they might be a tad big for me.

What other padded shorts have you run?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Oh nice! I'm a 34 so they might be a tad big for me.

What other padded shorts have you run?
Currently wearing Dainese E1 Hard Shorts (large). XL was a bit big. The padding sits nicely on me. I initially got XL as I'm XL in their armour jackets.

POC VPD - great VPD pads, but might have needed braces to hold them in a bit better position. might have been a sizing thing too, or my arse is the wrong shape???.
I think POC only does S/M and L/XL. not much fine tuning in the fit.

I use the 661 EVO II padded shorts with a built in chamois. Took a hard fall on my hip one day without them on and decided on the purchase. Worn them pretty much every single ride since then and never fallen on my hip.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Thanks fellas, I'm more curious on what people have used as impact protection and how well it did the job.

Some shorts have foam and others have hard plastic or both, so interested to see feedback.

Something like this

I think it's great that it comes with a built in codpiece...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just used the Leatt GPX 5.5 Airflex Impact Shorts with the extra hip protectors at Maydena. Definitely saved me some nasty bruising on my thighs and hips when I cased a jump and got bounced.

They don't have a chamois which doesn't really matter for shuttles. They would work under most shorts but the draw string on the old basketball shorts I was using helped to keep everything in place.

John U

MTB Precision
I have some Dianese bib knicks. Designed for wearing under shorts. They’ve got hard plastic on the outside of a layer of foam down both thigh sides with an extra bit of protection at the top of the hip bone.
Based on where I’d received bumps, scrapes, heaviest points of impact, the spread of protection seemed pretty good. This has proven to be mostly correct. Have saved me from multiple gravel rash’s and 1 big impact where I think I could’ve broken my hip.
I only use them for downhilling. They’ve lasted about 14 years! They’re nearly ready for retirement. Looking for something to replace them with.

I’d suggest seeing where you currently get the most/best bumps, scrapes, heaviest points of impact, and get something wher the spread of protection covers these points.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I pulled the trigger the other day on a Leatt DBX and POC one. Should be here in two weeks. Time to find a mean looking tree to test them on