Painting frame with Plasti Dip

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
Got a new bike, and could only get it in black.
Black is boring...
Don’t want to stuff the frame warranty by painting it.
I saw pressure packs of Plasti dip in my local Autobum store. It’s a rubberised coating that apparently peels off if not needed anymore, yet is durable enough for car wheels ect.
Anyone ever used it on their bike and can give some feedback ?

goobags

Likes Dirt
I have plasti dipped car parts and also then removed it and vinyl wrapped.

I would give plasti dip a go, only a few bucks and some time to try. Vinyl wrap would be difficult to get a good finish and hide the joins.

Plasti dip isn’t as tough as everyone makes out. Mine ended up with stone chips through it. Vinyl was a real pain to apply but gave a nicer finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Plasti dip is ok for something that doesnt get touched, like a set of wheels on a car or the pole that holds the bike rack on my caravan ect...

Its great stuff as it hides all rust and leaves a 'rubbery' paint finish which also covers imperfections.

Bike... probably not a good application as you will rub the top tube, cables will rub the headtube, bike rack will rub, shoes might rub the chainstays and numerous other rubbing situations.

I would save the $30 for the can and look at a wrap or frameskin in a different colour, or just get it painted/powdered. Or even grab an Allmountain frame protection pack in a different colour to change up the look.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Seen a few mates use it on car bonnets for the faux carbon-fibre look, seems to stone chip pretty easily so maybe not ideal for a MTB.

sc.

Likes Dirt
I've used it on some car wheels before and it was reasonably hardwearing considering it's rubber paint. If you do use it, make sure you apply it nice and thick over a few coats, it will damage less and be much easier to peel off when you need to remove it.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have it in some forks. It seems to attract dust and not be easy to wipe clean. My brother had it on some wheels and after an outback dusty trip they looked terrible and he peeled it off.

End of the day though it’s a fairly cheap experiment that would be easy to remove.

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
I wouldn't go plastidip, one drop of the bike no matter how little is going to take chunks out. If you want to just wrap it, vinyl or nothing imo.

Otherwise, get used to the black and colour code other parts e.g. pedals with chain rings and grips etc.

scblack

Leucocholic
Trail ninja! Ride on dusk/dawn with no lights and a silent hub, true bliss
Be sure to do that on the side of the highway.

Plenty do! I'm amazed by the blokes who ride in all black on the road with no lights. A statistic waiting to happen.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Be sure to do that on the side of the highway.

Plenty do! I'm amazed by the blokes who ride in all black on the road with no lights. A statistic waiting to happen.
Many, many times have I ninja’d around the city on my black bmx, wearing all black with a black helmet, no lights.

Never had an issue :D probably because I wasn’t riding on a freeway nor did I sit in traffic waiting to get hit.

bikie

Rock Bottom
Got a new bike, and could only get it in black.
Black is boring...
Don’t want to stuff the frame warranty by painting it.
I saw pressure packs of Plasti dip in my local Autobum store. It’s a rubberised coating that apparently peels off if not needed anymore, yet is durable enough for car wheels ect.
Anyone ever used it on their bike and can give some feedback ?
It's not very good to be honest. Nice feel until it scratches off.. Which it will. Then it'll look like a stolen bike.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To rejuvenate this thread I have very successfully Plasti-dipped the coil spring for my Push ElevenSix. I did it about 8 months ago in a nice orange, (see pic below) and it has been very durable and looks pimp. Those of you that have seen any of my bike builds know I have a very slight penchant for making shit match so I wanted the coil to match as well. The Plasti-Dip process was super easy and the finish was better than expected. Anyway today I stripped the Dip off as it had been scuffed during a shock service so I decided to re-do it. I came off super easy, it took about 15 minutes of rubbing with fingers to remove it completely. So whilst I don't think I'd do it for a frame it's fine and very easy for a coil. So get matching folks.