Palmer surprises in elite series final

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
In an action packed final round of the RedAss State Downhill Series it took an impressive ride by Queensland’s Greg Palmer to win the elite men’s race. Palmer from the Gold Coast took exactly 3 minutes and 31 seconds to blast down the 2.2 km Coffs Harbour track yesterday.

The 37 year old building supervisor for Adenbrook Homes claimed the first win of his career.

“I came here to win,” he admitted. “It’s a flat out track and that suits my style.”

Palmer was one of many riders impressed with the Mt Coramba course.

“The track is definitely the best track I have ever raced on,” he stated.

Palmer claimed the fastest qualifying run earlier in the day but said he tried harder in the final improving his time by 1.72 seconds. Despite having national level and much younger riders breathing down his neck no rider matched his runs all day.

“All I was worried about was myself and the clock,” Palmer said.

An added bonus for Palmer is that his young family were there to watch him.

“It was the first time my family had seen me race. My excuse to get them to Coffs Harbour was to come down for a family holiday. I just threw in the bike as an extra!” he admitted.

Also flying the flag for Queensland was Brisbane’s Lindsay Klein finishing in second place just over half a second behind Palmer. Third was New South Wales rider, Brendan Moon, a further second behind.

Palmer’s win stole the thunder from top contender Brad Kelly. Kelly had a disappointing run finishing in fourth place missing out on a chance to get onto equal points in the overall series. After racing only three rounds of the four round RedAss series Kelly secured second place overall with 515 points while Canberra’s Tim Eaton retains the title after amassing 620 points. Third in the series was Moon finishing with 458 points.

The elite women’s field had to contend with former world junior champion, Tracey Hannah from Queensland. Hannah annihilated the field in 3 min 45.66 seconds. Her time was a massive 34 seconds ahead of second placed Joanne Fox with Michelle Crisp claiming third.

The overall series title went to Jindabyne’s Tegan Molloy on 685 points followed by Fox with 665 points. Third overall was Sarah Booth on 640.

The under 19 category was dominated by Joe Vejvoda. Vejvoda recently returned from racing overseas and showed top form by qualifying second fastest overall. The 16 year old then went on to claim his an age group win clocking up 3 min 32.93 seconds. Second was Jack Moir from Lake Macquarie and Gosford’s Jake Newell slipped into third.

Overall Newell obtained 713 points and retained the overall series with Goulburn’s Dean Evans on 676 points. Vejvoda had to be content with third position overall with 635 points.

Local riders performed well with 14 year old Jake Bromley claiming second in Under 15. Other locals in the standings were James Price (U17) making it into 10th place in Under 17. Elite rider Sam Collins was unlucky to flat in the qualifying run while David Gibbs placed 46thoverall.

Over 250 riders from as far away as Tasmania and Queensland took part in the event.

Overall RedAss State Downhill Series male winners were Joel Willis (Lithgow) in U15; Michael Green (Cromer) in Super Masters; Stephen Andreasen (Cromer) in Masters 40-40; Rick Kehoe (Thornton) in Veteran; Todd Shields (Dubbo) Expert; Brent Smith (Woronora Heights) in U 17; Tim Threadgate (Aberdare) in Sport; Jake Newell Kincumber in U 19 and Tim Eaton (Canberra) in Elite.

Overall female winners were Coleen Boyes (Thornton) in Master; Clare Ly (Petersham)in Expert and Tegan Molloy(Jindabyne) in Elite.

For full results go to: www.rockytrailentertainment.com

Sharon Payne
Bike Media