Pantera calle

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Once upon a time I had a fancy bike. A stranger decided they liked that bike. In fact they liked it so much, they decided to step the bike.

Anyway through good fortune, sales, and an ample supply of parts in the armory I was able to grab a frame (see relevant thread elsewhere) and also this bike. It is a Polygon Trid zz. I've recommended this bike to a lot of people for their teenage sons over the years. The price for spec was pretty hard to overlook and it screams dirt bag life. I spoke to a few people who had wines one and the reviews were favourable. I've had a reasonable amount of business from the dealer in the past, including sourcing my fleet of bikes from them way back when I used to take youths miuntain biking. So I figured why not???

Why not? Well firstly dispatch and delivery was slow. I was in a rush to get a bike for riding to/from work and somehow it took a couple of weeks to get this from Manly to Newcastle. When the bike arrived it had been poorly setup and poorly packages, resulting in some minor superficial scratches on the frame and a linked brake hose. There was also a number of parts in the build that were not as per the spec online. So a few emails back-forward regarding the situation and a resolution was reached, intially it was "you have 14 days to decide if you like it or not..." Which I didn't think very sporting. Some of the generic parts were not very impressive either. For example the bars were pretty flexy under the mighty power that I wield. But I had plans for changes anyway...in all of buy one again and would buy from the dealer. I've had worse customer service and paid a lot more for the pleasure.

Current spec is:
Frame: Polygon Trid zz
Fork: Marzocchi 55cr slope 120mm
Headset: whatever
Stem: Kona something something (thanks @stirk)
Bars: Funn full on 750mm maybe 25mm rise
Grips: dmr lock on
Wheels: Cole Massif DH (some Alex rims rebranded). They were super cheap and sound nice. I haven't broken them yet.
Tyres: Maxxis DTH (street) or Tioga Venture (dirt)
Crank: truvativ descendants 165mm (thanks @Oddjob)
BB: some cheap thing from cycling deal. It works really well.
Pedals: Nuke Proof Neutron nylons in poodle pink
Chain ring: zee 36t
Chain guide: Gammit blah blah blah
Chain: yeah Ive got one! 11speed
Derailleur: SRAM GX, 7speed
Shifter: SRAM GX, 7 speed
Post: standard from factory. Nuke proof something or other for commuting.
Seat: standard from factory. SDG Bel Air for commuting.
Clamp: Intense lock on.

I think that's all the parts.

I really like how this bike looks and rides. When I first got it, the black on black on black really worked for me. But I wanted to get my tweak on. I have been surprised by how often the pink pedals cause people to make a comment along the lines of "those pink pedals are not masculine and I'm not sure how to feel about it.". Just last week I had to explain to someone that the pink was exactly how his mum liked it.

If you've read this far you're either bored, busting a nut, or finally ready to ditch that yawnful kilometre after kilometre after kilometre lifestyle and the cumbersome flexed out spaghetti bike that goes with it...do it! Get a play bike in the stable and start crashing. Maybe you wont crash, maybe you're destined for many glorious airtimes.

Here's a really crap blurred jpeg of the bike in action. Expand at your own risk.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
looks stupidly fun. How’s it go compared to the pivot?

Still got those pike dj’s?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
looks stupidly fun. How’s it go compared to the pivot?

Still got those pike dj’s?
I sold the pikes pretty quick. A friend had a Trek Ticket S frame and wanted some forks. I was happy to move them on as I had the Marzocchi 55cr slope which is had long meant to put on my Pivot M4X. I'm fucking glad I didn't!!!

The trid rides dry different to the m4x. The m4x was superior in almost every way, as you would expect from a company like Pivot. The Trid does have a much lower stand over which is nice on dirt lumps and trails and it is really poppy in the back end. This is handy with hops around town and I can easily hop this up 3 or 4 stairs. I once tried 5 and didn't get there!

It's lots of fun to ride and I highly recommend the standard version for anyone looking to buy a playful bike for a teenager (or really short rider). We all know they dont really want to go trail riding with their lame arse dad anyway and as soon as they get a chance it jump time! With all the bent bits on that lame trail bike you brought them as a bonus!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I sold the pikes pretty quick. A friend had a Trek Ticket S frame and wanted some forks. I was happy to move them on as I had the Marzocchi 55cr slope which is had long meant to put on my Pivot M4X. I'm fucking glad I didn't!!!

The trid rides dry different to the m4x. The m4x was superior in almost every way, as you would expect from a company like Pivot. The Trid does have a much lower stand over which is nice on dirt lumps and trails and it is really poppy in the back end. This is handy with hops around town and I can easily hop this up 3 or 4 stairs. I once tried 5 and didn't get there!

It's lots of fun to ride and I highly recommend the standard version for anyone looking to buy a playful bike for a teenager (or really short rider). We all know they dont really want to go trail riding with their lame arse dad anyway and as soon as they get a chance it jump time! With all the bent bits on that lame trail bike you brought them as a bonus!
Ahhhhh damn. You didn’t like them? My argyles are getting abit long in the tooth. Black pikes would look schmick on my pbj.
This looks better as a pure djer/slopey than the pivot? Much less versatile though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ahhhhh damn. You didn’t like them? My argyles are getting abit long in the tooth. Black pikes would look schmick on my pbj.
This looks better as a pure djer/slopey than the pivot? Much less versatile though.
I didn't use the pikes. I rode to work on them a few times while my friend ummmmed and aaahhhhhhhhed about buying them. They felt fine, probably would've suited me well even. But I'm a Marzocchi fan boi. I did notice that the extra 20mm of travel really altered the feel of the bike. Not better or worse. Just very noticeable. I found the bag of omens they came with a couple of days ago

I'm not sure which bike suits the dirt lumps better. The Trid does love the lumps though. I've had it on my locals and Hornsby plenty. The pivot was definitely a better trail bike. The DW link is such an awesome suspension platform. I could rave for hours...but the Trid rides trail just fine. It is particularly good for railing corners. It can get a bit bumpy over chunder with the faux 4 bar.

Might be I've got some options for forks

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Current weight, with pedals, is 14kg. This would be so much lighter if only I'd kept those pikes. Sigh.