Park BMX recommendations

John U

MTB Precision
Hi Y'all,

Not an MTB request but I value the opinion of you lot, in this case especially those with a bit of park experience.
I took my young bloke to the park yesterday and was just standing around waiting. The young punks ripping around the bowl looked like they were having an excellent time. I thought I should have a crack at it. Why not?
I rode my BMX heaps as a youngster but a lot has changed since then. No parks back in those days.
I've been thinking it over since the young fella got his bike. Asked a couple of questions in the shop. I'm thinking 20", chromoly frame and fork. That's all I've got so far.
Do you have any recommendations on what to buy?
From where?
Anyone got one they want to get rid of?
Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, John U

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...not trying to "8 speed" your thread here John, how tall are you? I've ridden a range of bikes (bmx right through to dh) in the skate parks around here over the years and find a bmx too be small and cramped at my whooping great 183cm. Among my crew, those that have skills in the park tend to ride dj style mountain bikes. I ride the skate park on my Pivot m4x a bit and find it to suit my lack of tech skills and also absorbs a fair bit of the harshness saving my back.

I also have a mini rocker bmx. It is a lot of fun but I can't really do much on it. I can roll, bunny hop, 180, whip, and pancake it. But not much else. After a while though I feel worked! My lats in particular.

John U

MTB Precision
177cm Poodle.

I had a bit of a go on my sons bike. I stopped after a few harsh landings. I think it was a We The People.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Whats the budget? I’d be looking at atleast 21” tt length, maybe 21.25 if you can find a complete that size.

WTP make decent completes, volume, fitbikeco. You would be better of on a more trail oriented frame but I’m not sure any come out as a complete.

When I’m having lunch I’ll look up some completes for you to have a look at. Bmx is awesome fun.

Also keep some money in the budget for a set of bars if the ones on te bike are too short/narrow

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ budget...always the budget...you'll generally get a lot more bmx for your cash than you would mtb.

@Ultra Lord what about the adult sized dad bikes by SE?

Ultra Lord

^ budget...always the budget...you'll generally get a lot more bmx for your cash than you would mtb.

@Ultra Lord what about the adult sized dad bikes by SE?
No. Unless your going a race bike SE are terrible. I will reach through the screen and slap you. If you wanna ride bmx at the park, get a 20”. You wanna go bigger? Get a tranny PBJ or banshee amp.

$1200 on a bmx complete is like the equivalent of $5000 in mtb

John U

MTB Precision
I was thinking $600. Wanted to go second hand if I could find one.

I have no idea though.

Ultra Lord

https://www.anchorbmx.com/collectio...oducts/fit-bike-co-trl-harti-trans-black-2019
:D Ayoooo 21.25tt and trail geo!

How close to a bmx shop are you? Get down to one and see what the differnces are in person. It’s subtle head angle, top tube, chainstay and bb height changes but you deffinately feel it.
Fyi I’m 6’4 and rode 21.5tt, 9.5 bars and topload stem on a trail geo frame. It was on the shorter tt size for me because I rode abit of street and park too.

Knowing how hard they get ridden, I reccomend new. $600 is plenty for a bmx.

John U

MTB Precision
I've got a re-release of an SE Quadangle in the shed. It is a beautiful thing. Rarely comes out. Cherry red with gold anodized parts. As you stated above UL, no good for the park. Goes as fast as I'd like to go on the track. I'd sell it to get the park bike but my son loves it and has begged me not to sell it so he can have it one day. That kind of love should be encouraged.

The mini bike would be easy to hide PP. Cash wise and physically.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@John U SE bikes are a thing of beauty, don't fear the wrath of @Ultra Lord. ...too much. You're right to invest in your son's enthusiasm. It will pay off in the long term. Short term a genuine mini rocker from the UK would be a good buy over the jinx (their price is all about the pain job). Mine has sealed bearing hubs and 3 piece crank. But seriously that bike Ultra pants linked you to is a sweet rig. The full chromo frame alone at that price is not normal. You'll have bike boners for many years to come...

Unless you find a sweet condition mtb dj bike at a similar price.

Ultra Lord

BUT how good will it be dropping into a bowl? I know @John U has some good parks down that way from a bmx roadtrip I did years ago.

Those SE's are fantastic bikes for cruising around on and looking at, the quadrangle's an iconic frame. the larger plus size bmx's SE do ride terribly in the park, and the quads still have that old geo, not to mention they are too pretty to dent up.

https://www.anchorbmx.com/collectio...ucts/sunday-bikes-scout-matte-black-2019-21tt

If you wanna have a go on a shorter bike with steeper geo. your at a height you can make almost all BMX's work. *thumbs up*

The sunday has sealed hubs but not full cromo......... hmmmmmm I'd take the cromo frame of a fit at that pricepoint. hubs are cheaper than frame.

https://www.anchorbmx.com/collectio...-now/products/fly-bikes-orion-2018-flat-brown

OOOOOH how good is this! Too exxy but it shows the difference in money compared mtb's. This is pretty much as good as it gets for BMX, at under $1k. my tranny pbj came with trash wheels, heavy cranks and a very heavy simple fork, way too narrow crappy flexy bars. meh, mtb is expensive as

https://www.supersports.net.au/Transition-pbj
pretty much the same spec but this has the higher tier fork, 2.5k. Mine was a little under 2k from memory. wheels lasted like 3 months.

I wish I wasn't so tall sometimes, BMX makes too much sense for that type of riding.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm with you on the value proposition @Ultra Lord! '!!!!! Bmx slays mtb everyday. That fly you linked to looks like it was designed by James Brown! Pyre sex machine...but I'd take your fit bike recommendation over it any day. Still...

@John U I hope you can see the geometry differences between the mtb and the bmx? Look how slack the mtb head tube is!!!! Still I prefer the mtb size and that trumps every time. I don't go home looking like the letter c.

Ultra Lord

Plannin a park session on the pbj and some pump track action for my friday off now. God damnit john, I was supposed to do housework bahaha. Time to go back to a bowl and see how the back holds up.

@pink poodle mtb dj sizing and bmx sizing aren't that dissimiliar. you can get bloody long bmx's with tall bars that are roomier than the average 26 dj.

D

Deleted member FN2187

All mutiny vids are the shit!!! RIP randy.

Pity I missed this thread. I would have recommended a 22inch BMX. Fit, WTP and a few other brands are making them now. Definately a good compromise if you still want to ride BMX properly but don't want the back pain of riding a toddlers bike.
Here's mine:
IMG_20180914_171923.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultra Lord

All mutiny vids are the shit!!! RIP randy.

Pity I missed this thread. I would have recommended a 22inch BMX. Fit, WTP and a few other brands are making them now. Definately a good compromise if you still want to ride BMX properly but don't want the back pain of riding a toddlers bike.
Here's mine:
View attachment 347694

I immediately love anything that comes out of mutiny and tree. Dunno why, I guess those brands just get me bahaha

Edit: apparently tree aren't doing their splined 4130 sprockets anymore...... dead to me

That bike of yours ain't helping my plans for a productive friday either man......... Now not only am I gonna be riding I'm gonna be tryin to poke holes in my bike too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member FN2187

http://www.cheapgoodsbmx.com/frames?product_id=6489
$700usd for frame, forks, wheels tyres and tubes.
That's where I bought mine from, they come in 21.6 and 22.125 frame sizes. They have a bunch of colour combos too. I particularly love the trans blue. Pity it wasn't an option when I got mine.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/stolen-spade-pro-22-frame-and-fork-kit-2018/rp-prod165684
Or there's this frame and fork kit from CRC for $425aud. But you'd be better off with the S&M given that it comes with a Revenge ARC wheelset and S&M tyres.

Last edited by a moderator:

stirk

Burner
https://www.anchorbmx.com/collectio...oducts/fit-bike-co-trl-harti-trans-black-2019
:D Ayoooo 21.25tt and trail geo!

How close to a bmx shop are you? Get down to one and see what the differnces are in person. It’s subtle head angle, top tube, chainstay and bb height changes but you deffinately feel it.
Fyi I’m 6’4 and rode 21.5tt, 9.5 bars and topload stem on a trail geo frame. It was on the shorter tt size for me because I rode abit of street and park too.

Knowing how hard they get ridden, I reccomend new. $600 is plenty for a bmx.
That anchor lives up to it's name weight wise, 2kg less than my big mountain bike!

A mate recently got into BMX on a 24in - how do they go in a park compared to track?