Parking @ Syd airport

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going to Derby in the 2nd week of the holidays. Flying out at sparrowfart Sunday morning (rookie mistake #1) so catching a train isn't possible.

Parking at the airport costs more than the flights, forget that.

Parking at a parking station is expensive $100 for 5 days but doable.

Any other suggestions? I've not had to get to the airport on my own dime before. Traveling with a mate fwiw and we won't have our bikes to lug around.

Need to be checked in by 6:20am so I am assuming that parking somewhere in Mascot and getting a cab in may not be possible.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The only other alternative I can see is talking some kind soul into dropping you off.

Where are you coming from where getting the train isn't an option that early in the morning?

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only other alternative I can see is talking some kind soul into dropping you off.

Where are you coming from where getting the train isn't an option that early in the morning?
Centy Coast. Check in latest at 6:20 for a 7:10 departure.

Actually, when I look there is a 3:55am train. That could work for me.

Last edited:

Firemanmikey

Likes Dirt
Centy Coast. Check in latest at 6:20 for a 7:10 departure.

Actually, when I look there is a 3:55am train. That could work for me.
doing similar trip in October, staying at ibis budget at domestic terminal(8 min walk) - $120 and $25 a day extra parking.. cheapest option for us as 3hrs south of Sydney.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Posted in the Derby thread, but if you are not aware the Blue Tier descent will be closed after this weekend as trail conditions are too wet, so you might have to rearrange shuttles. Had mates there last weekend and they reported that it was a real mudfest and not enjoyable to ride, but everything on the Derby side of the hill including the new EWS trails were sweet.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Posted in the Derby thread, but if you are not aware the Blue Tier descent will be closed after this weekend as trail conditions are too wet, so you might have to rearrange shuttles. Had mates there last weekend and they reported that it was a real mudfest and not enjoyable to ride, but everything on the Derby side of the hill including the new EWS trails were sweet.

spewing. Haven't booked shuttles yet so all good there.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
spewing. Haven't booked shuttles yet so all good there.
Yeah sucks for you, but to be honest I think it's a good call. I last rode it in April on a rainy day, and whilst the mud wasn't too bad back then it's a very rooty trail in sections and I had to take it pretty easy as she was slippy. Blokes I spoke to about last weekend reckoned that you really couldn't get up any speed because of the mud. For a reasonable rider it's around a 50-55 minute descent and it took them nearly an hour and half to make the journey.

An alternative option would be to get a shuttle to Weldborough and ride the old Blue Tier descent (RC trail). You'd have to pedal from the pub up, and there are a couple of creek crossings so you'll be getting wet feet, but it's a much rockier, washed out gnar trail with old school charms.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah sucks for you, but to be honest I think it's a good call. I last rode it in April on a rainy day, and whilst the mud wasn't too bad back then it's a very rooty trail in sections and I had to take it pretty easy as she was slippy. Blokes I spoke to about last weekend reckoned that you really couldn't get up any speed because of the mud. For a reasonable rider it's around a 50-55 minute descent and it took them nearly an hour and half to make the journey.

An alternative option would be to get a shuttle to Weldborough and ride the old Blue Tier descent (RC trail). You'd have to pedal from the pub up, and there are a couple of creek crossings so you'll be getting wet feet, but it's a much rockier, washed out gnar trail with old school charms.
If it's unrideable it's unrideable I guess. As long as there are other things to ride for the few days we are there then that's OK.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Going to Derby in the 2nd week of the holidays. Flying out at sparrowfart Sunday morning (rookie mistake #1) so catching a train isn't possible.

Any other suggestions? I've not had to get to the airport on my own dime before. Traveling with a mate fwiw and we won't have our bikes to lug around.

Need to be checked in by 6:20am so I am assuming that parking somewhere in Mascot and getting a cab in may not be possible.
The travel thread...

I usually crash in one of the shitbox backpackers at Central station and train out when I have an early flight.

I have also hired a car and driven to the airport. We had 5 people.in the car and gaff taped all our snowboards to the roof. It worked out a lot cheaper than parking at the airport and not that different to 5xtrain fares.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
As long as there are other things to ride for the few days we are there then that's OK.
There's plenty to do now the EWS trails are open. Atlas/ Dambusters descent plus a couple of the Derby trails one day, a day tackling the black trails if your balls are large enough (Trouty, Detonate, Black Dragon, Black Stump - Shear Pin - 23 Stiches), and a good chunk of the day doing a few Long Shadows - Flickety Sticks/ Return to Sender Loops. Return to Sender in particular is really rewarding for repeated riding so you can smash the features with confidence.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's plenty to do now the EWS trails are open. Atlas/ Dambusters descent plus a couple of the Derby trails one day, a day tackling the black trails if your balls are large enough (Trouty, Detonate, Black Dragon, Black Stump - Shear Pin - 23 Stiches), and a good chunk of the day doing a few Long Shadows - Flickety Sticks/ Return to Sender Loops. Return to Sender in particular is really rewarding for repeated riding so you can smash the features with confidence.
Hard to know how difficult the black diamond trails will be compared to what I can/have ridden in the past. From the YouTube clips it looks as though everything is do-able and the challenge is how fast you want to take them. Hoping that is the case in real life.

Back to the parking thing, f%*king doing my head in!

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The travel thread...

I usually crash in one of the shitbox backpackers at Central station and train out when I have an early flight.

I have also hired a car and driven to the airport. We had 5 people.in the car and gaff taped all our snowboards to the roof. It worked out a lot cheaper than parking at the airport and not that different to 5xtrain fares.
Looked at car hire, too expensive as I am solo. I've got SFA chance of getting anyone to take me to the station at 3:30am too.

$96 for one of the parks outside the airport is looking the best option and lesson learned about taking the first flight out of town in the future!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looked at car hire, too expensive as I am solo. I've got SFA chance of getting anyone to take me to the station at 3:30am too.

$96 for one of the parks outside the airport is looking the best option and lesson learned about taking the first flight out of town in the future!
Solo car hire isn't so good. I'd do a sleep over and have some fun before flying.

One of my friends recently left their car at Gordon train station for a few days while travelling. It was free and easy to get to the airport from. Though your departure time may again ruffle those feathers.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Hard to know how difficult the black diamond trails will be compared to what I can/have ridden in the past.
Can't comment on the new EWS trails as I haven't ridden them. Mates have told me that Detonate is is the toughest, and Trouty is hard but good fun. Of the others Black Stump is short and no dramas, Black Dragon is pretty rowdy at the top, a series of rock drop offs, Shear Pin is narrow and technical (and awesome, it's such a cool traverse), and 23 Stitches is really just a bunch of massive bike park style jumps.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't comment on the new EWS trails as I haven't ridden them. Mates have told me that Detonate is is the toughest, and Trouty is hard but good fun. Of the others Black Stump is short and no dramas, Black Dragon is pretty rowdy at the top, a series of rock drop offs, Shear Pin is narrow and technical (and awesome, it's such a cool traverse), and 23 Stitches is really just a bunch of massive bike park style jumps.
Looks like Black Dragon would be doable by the Trance and I. Detonate seem to have some nice blind square drops. Will pack the knee pads and elbow pads for that one

Robb

Likes Dirt
I live in St peters and have gotten a taxi to the airport in the morning with my bike a few times. Taxi has been $20-25, so parking in Mascot or the inner west and getting a taxi should be easy. I've generally booked one so I can get a wagon to throw the bike in.
Should be plenty of taxi's available around 6am

scblack

Leucocholic

Have you checked Blue Emu parking at the airport?

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you checked Blue Emu parking at the airport?
Yep, someone in a comment above linked me to a deal for $90 for the 5 days.
Anyone live close to a train station and could watch my car for a few days? :)

Last edited:

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
We've used Blue Emu a few times - mainly when we had to take our own car seat and pram for the baby. Sometimes the shuttle bus is packed with airport staff, other times it's been dead quiet.